Sponsored by:

How do you all do it ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2008, 03:28 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you all do it ??!!

It's been 4 long years since I had a MY94 STI. It was a great car and I loved it, but when I smashed my motorbike up and got a mortgage I could afford to run it daily as I have a 60 mile commute.
From memory fuel was £1.03 for optimax then, and even managing 25mpg I soon started begging off my family for food towards the end of the month after having the mortgage ect for a year.

So my question is how the hell do you guys afford to do anymore than 10 miles a day in these cars now ? I know everyone earns different amonuts and has different outgoings, but I can't get my head around having one again as a daily driver, unless I had a very short journey to work.

Sorry if this thread is a kip, I am just interested
Old 06 June 2008, 03:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of people dont, they are living on the breadline with these cars, fuel prices and running costs cripple them my last car was a weekend toy, the only reason i sold that was because i needed a diesel for the mileage (new job, unknown ammount of income) but i do wish i hadnt sold her oh well, new one soon

Tony
Old 06 June 2008, 03:34 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Alot of people dont, they are living on the breadline with these cars, fuel prices and running costs cripple them my last car was a weekend toy, the only reason i sold that was because i needed a diesel for the mileage (new job, unknown ammount of income) but i do wish i hadnt sold her oh well, new one soon

Tony
I'm one on the breadline.
Old 06 June 2008, 04:02 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I sold mine because even back then i was going through 70-80 quid a week on fuel alone, god knows what it would be like now!!!!

Thing is with a Scoob its not just the fuel its just the temptation to stick 20-3- quid in and go for a drive.

A lot of Scooby owners now will drive an old beater car during the week and use their pride and joy at the weekends.

If i had have been sensible and done this myself instead of using the Scoob as a daily car then i'd still have it now

Still, you live and learn
Old 06 June 2008, 04:06 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

The price of fuel is just one of many things we currently get hammered with. I was brought up to appreciate that there is no 'free' money (unless a relative keels over) and therefore I live within my means with a sensible comfort margin. So the rise in fuel, mortgages, food etc (coupled with the fact the authorities seem to be continuously looking to fine us all for anything and everything) just means I am not as far in the black each month as I have been previously.
Too many people sail too close to the wind. If you can't afford a mortgage then don't have one, if a Fiesta is all you can afford to run then put up with it until your finances are more rosy. The only debts I have are mortgage debts and that won't change. I quite fancy a Ferrari and if I was happy to get in hock for one then I might be able to find the money, but it won't happen because I'd rather have some 'rainy day' funds than a fancy pile of tin on the drive. If I was anywhere near worrying where I'd find the money to fill up the car then it would be gone tomorrow and I'd be in that Fiesta.
Kevin
Old 06 June 2008, 04:11 PM
subaruian
Scooby Regular

most of my wage goes on keeping my car on road but i need it for work and have always wanted a scoob and am willing to spend most of my money on her because of this sad maybe but thats my choice
Old 06 June 2008, 04:18 PM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

I use mine as a daily drive (only a few minutes so only gets warm so no going above 2,000rpm ) that said i still do a full tank a fuel at the weekend a bit quicker down the lovley devon and cornish roads . but with fuel increasing it has gone from forty odd £s to fifty odd £ss.
Old 06 June 2008, 04:18 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Alot of us buy a shed for the commute (mine is 130 miles a day) and use the scoob at weekends or for the odd journey to work when we need a fix
Old 06 June 2008, 04:22 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Diesel vRS for the miles, STi for the smiles.
Old 06 June 2008, 04:23 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Civic diesel for daily & meth is cheaper than V-Power for the weekend
Old 06 June 2008, 04:23 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i just keep raising my price list at work (5.5 years i have had it now)
Old 06 June 2008, 04:31 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

i have never earned more the £8500 a year i don't think (just finished uni blah blah), but i'm pretty good with my money and my flat is really **** so my rent is dirt cheap. But most importantly i don't have a comute at the moment. i can cycle anywhere like work or shops, so the subaru is really a luxary item for me.

if i get a job which requires a daily drive then the impreza would be keeping the role it has now and i'd get a little run about. in fact i owned both my scoob and a fiesta jointly for about 2months, and concidering i would be getting paid more in a comute situation i would deffinatelt just run 2 cars. my sister does the same with her MR2 GT-S
Old 06 June 2008, 04:40 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

it's a case of priorities i suppose, it boils down to what is important, my cars are the most important things in my life other than my family, therefore as long as im not on my death bed, then cars will be in my blood and i will always find a way of keeping it.

i used to use mine for the daily drive as i was only doing 10 -15 mile round trip per day, but then i moved and the trip is now 50 mile round trip per day, so scoob tucked up nice and safe in garage for weekend fun, and drive a mazda 6 for work and back, im not on great money, but enough to live comfortably and run 2 cars, 1 for fun and 1 for daily use
Old 06 June 2008, 05:06 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much for the replies guys, it has made me feel a bit better ! I hear the argument about the second car thing, but I don't want to drive to work in a ****e box as it's miles away. I have considered a scoob as the second car, there is a '93 RA for £2500 in FS for instance. I just wonder what insurance with zero NCB would be like.....
Old 06 June 2008, 05:10 PM
Blacksimus
Scooby Regular

Trains during week to get to work
Scooby for the weekends to shop and see mates.
Only way I can keep my costs down and travelling into London from outside countys is the worst thing ever by car.
Old 06 June 2008, 06:00 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

i have been running mine and my house comfortably for a couple of years now but my girlfriend is expecting our first baby quite soon so mine is up for sale at the moment, like some have said my family must come first now so the scoob is up for sale
Old 06 June 2008, 06:12 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Chief

A lot of Scooby owners now will drive an old beater car during the week and use their pride and joy at the weekends.

If i had have been sensible and done this myself instead of using the Scoob as a daily car then i'd still have it now

(
......like me with my £450 12 year old Toyota Carina E petrol which I drive every day during the week and then take the scoob out athe garage come Friday evening for the weekend....Dont think i could fuel the scoob all week, and by not driving it all week i appreciate it more at the weekend. Having the toyota is the only answer, it never cools and costs me buttons....MOT'd it last month for £35....and theres 120,000 miles on it too so its only just run in
Old 06 June 2008, 06:59 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

insurance 3084 a year petrol just under 120 a week full tank to and from work tank for weekends plus mods two contract fones just had mot ,loan still live with mummy lol rent free
Old 06 June 2008, 10:02 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I have ran mine since new for 8 years now
6k a year inc to work once a week 20 miles and the rest is club nights and taking it out to polish it

fill it up twice a month £110 gets me 500 miles
run an octavia diesel for my normal running about and to work

insurance £370
servicing Big £300 small £120 MOT £70
tax £185

dont smoke or drink only once a month binge
not big wage anymore as semi retired but no morgage or kids anymore so survive just but will never part with it and will run it into the ground as i love it so much !!
Old 07 June 2008, 01:17 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief

thats what i have done
Old 07 June 2008, 03:25 AM
Andy3781
Scooby Regular

i had a alfa gtv 3.0 v6 as a daily commute decided to swap it for a scoob the fuel costs are much worse in the scoob especially optimax or the like. Been doing 50 mile round trip daily for a good 6 months only now is it begining to break the bank. Had an old Cavalier v6 sitting in the garage for 2 years only 86k on the clock its mint.just got it MOT'd and taxed thats the new work taxi!... Being a V6 i'm saving nothing except piling on the mileage in the impreza!Waste of time really wasn't it?
Old 07 June 2008, 03:48 AM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Anyone ever think why we pay so much more for fuel in ripoff Britain than say countries like USA?
Old 07 June 2008, 07:30 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just cut down on other luxuries like food,clothing etc
Old 07 June 2008, 07:40 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I dont drink, I rarely go out ANYWHERE ie pictures/resteraunts, I rarely buy clothes, don't bother with holidays abroad but me and the mrs have a lovely house/car and got a megane coupe for a daily driver (34 mile commute) and the scooby does around 8 miles a day weekdays. We enjoy spending time together at home this allows us to afford the scooby and anything it ever needs

If I was to drive it to work 34 miles there is no way I could afford it. Nearly £70 to fill up and get just over 200 miles driving steady
Old 07 June 2008, 08:04 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I have a 2nd car for work my pride and dented joyart the mo only comes out at weekends!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 07 June 2008, 09:42 AM
Scoobymart
Scooby Regular

diesel VW 7 seater touran for the chore driving,type R wrc v6 v/ltd for the need for speed,excitment,noise driving.
Life is not a rehearsal,enjoy it while your here what ever it may cost.I've got no money left but by god it,s all worth it when i get in my scooby
Old 07 June 2008, 09:54 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I drive mine every day, only a 16 mile round trip to work but i dont care about the costs anyway! I have an 03 WRX which i bought from new, in fact i had the only one around for a good few weeks, LOL, and we have done 75k miles now. I just filled up last night and it was £62 for 52 litres! Hahaha.
FFS, £1.20 a litre it was, unreal.
I have spent thousands modifying it and am still back to RCM in three weeks.
But i enjoy it and so based on that, F it, i dont care
Yes they are bloody expensive, yes my insurance is too, yes parts and servicing are, etc,etc.
But i will NEVER ever buy a car that i will only use at the weekends as long as i have a hole in my ****!
And that still stands even though me mate has just bought a 40 odd grand ferrari that he uses once a blue moon and drives a banger to work.
Why bother?
Oh and just to wind you all up, i get 300 miles out of my 52 litres in a work week!
Old 07 June 2008, 10:12 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I am doing my driving test in 2 weeks time(never needed to drive until now). I have loved subarus in years and have been a member of this site for years also. I am now in a comfortable money position where i can afford to insure and buy a realitively good impreza BUT i'm not gonna.

I can afford it but its not worth it I just cant justify the fuel price, insurance and road tax. the minimum i would be traveling per day is 45miles.
Old 07 June 2008, 10:44 AM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

mine gets used for the school run by the missus monday to friday as its about 30 miles a week for that and i use her 1.4 zetec fiesta for my 30 miles a day monday to friday for work! then come friday evening the keys get swopped over and i blast round till sunday night!
its all about using ur loaf really!
i got a wife 3 kids £150,000 mortgage 2 cars to run but manage, does help that im not a low earner but it soon adds up!
Old 07 June 2008, 11:48 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mine just for work but i know it's there should i need it.

Just a case of cutting down to compensate, i am thinking of having a second map purely for economy and mapped for normal ul.