2nd Decat - worthwile removing?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2008, 09:08 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Decat - worthwile removing?

Hi all

I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket and wondered whether it was worth removing the 2nd cat on my 2006 WRX, or would I need a remap to do this?

Thanks
Arron
Old 06 June 2008, 10:01 AM
barndogg
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't have thought so. It should run ok with it but obviously a remap would reep the best benefits from the modification.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:33 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Just watch out for fixed penalty fines if you fail a road side emissions test.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:38 PM
barndogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Just watch out for fixed penalty fines if you fail a road side emissions test.
That would be a seriously tight copper!
Old 06 June 2008, 12:40 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't have any problems. I've removed it from my 2003 WRX so just got the standard downpipe and 2nd decat pipe plus non resonated section from H&S then PPP backbox, I've had no problems with emissions at 2 or 3 MOT's.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:53 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
You shouldn't have any problems. I've removed it from my 2003 WRX so just got the standard downpipe and 2nd decat pipe plus non resonated section from H&S then PPP backbox, I've had no problems with emissions at 2 or 3 MOT's.
Cheers Andy, pretty much what I'm going for, currently have a Prodrive backbox and deresonated section, thought I'd top it off with a 2nd decat pipe and keeping the 1st cat in place, so you have not had any issues with it not being mapped, any improvement with taking the 2nd cat out?

As for emission I'm sure they will be fine with teh 1sts cat still there.

ta
Old 06 June 2008, 02:21 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

My bad didn't realise there where two cats.

I can certainly see the point in removing it down to 1 high flow unit, can't see the point of running no CATS in this country though. Over the years I've regularly seen random road side checks and had the wonderful pleasure of part taking in one.
Old 07 June 2008, 02:56 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I fitted one on my 03WRX along with prodrive backbox, no issues at all with running, and no CEL's have appeared, I believe that the sensor is moved away from the exhaust flow to prevent it giving a hot reading to the ecu, but I could not see this as the original heat shielding was in place.
Old 07 June 2008, 09:04 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

You don't need a remap when removing the second cat, but unfortunately you will gain virtually nothing by removing it. You will likely pass an MOT too as like I said it doesn't do much.

The first cat is the one you need to remove but then you should get a remap and you will fail an MOT, but you will get significant gains.

Personally, I would remove the second one and either remove the first of fit a sports cat downpipe. Don't bother removing just the second as it truly will be a waste of cash.
Old 08 June 2008, 12:30 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
Andy is your car standard?
Old 08 June 2008, 06:40 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
Cheers Andy, pretty much what I'm going for, currently have a Prodrive backbox and deresonated section, thought I'd top it off with a 2nd decat pipe and keeping the 1st cat in place, so you have not had any issues with it not being mapped, any improvement with taking the 2nd cat out?

As for emission I'm sure they will be fine with teh 1sts cat still there.

ta
personally i would remove the first cat and leave the centre one in place as this is the least restrictive.

as for mot's i had the centre cat only on mine,the uppipe and first cat gone and it passed fine.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:21 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
You don't need a remap when removing the second cat, but unfortunately you will gain virtually nothing by removing it. You will likely pass an MOT too as like I said it doesn't do much.

The first cat is the one you need to remove but then you should get a remap and you will fail an MOT, but you will get significant gains.

Personally, I would remove the second one and either remove the first of fit a sports cat downpipe. Don't bother removing just the second as it truly will be a waste of cash.
Thanks for the advice guys, as it seems removing the second would be a waste of time I think I'll leave it, was going down the whole remap route but decided against it and was curious of other options.

Like the idea of sports cat but £'s againt performace gains will probably be minimal without the map so again will be just happy with what I've got, I don't even put my foot down as my daughter is always in the car so what I want to spend money on more performance I don't know!!

Thansk again
Arron