Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the subaru sti/wrx brand is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2008, 12:10 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the subaru sti/wrx brand is dead!

my god what have they done!.......i had a wee trip down to the subaru garage today to get a run in the new sti.i have'nt seen one on the road so i thought maybe the pic's don't do it any justice,so with a open mind/wallet i will have a shifty.

did'nt even bother having a drive,left disgusted.as for the new wrx it does'nt even bear thinking about.

i have been a fan since watching the early 90's rally cars and am on to allmost 10 years of loyal impreza ownership but the new car has firmly put the final nail into subaru's coffin.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:24 AM
jeromelo
Scooby Regular

Yep, know exactly what you mean. The STi is bearable, and I'm sure the power makes up for it's ugliness, but there's no excusing the WRX which is just PLAIN ugly. I'd rather buy a CTR or even a VXR than the WRX!!

Looks like the newage imprezas will become the "new" CLASSICS, and the classics becomes the "legends"
Old 06 June 2008, 12:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if people had that attitude back in the 90's subaru wouldnt have sold any classics

Tony
Old 06 June 2008, 02:07 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Well if people had that attitude back in the 90's subaru wouldnt have sold any classics

Tony
the thing is the classic is a nice car in an ugly sort of way.i admire my 95 sti ra every time i go out the back but the new car......don't start me
Old 06 June 2008, 10:26 AM
(.)psl(.)
Scooby Newbie

The one advantage the the WRX has is that it won`t be a target for thieves because nobody in their right minds would want to nick one, that should mean cheap insurance.

The rally car looks ok but the road going sti looks bland in comparison, it needs the rear rally spolier and maybe the new rally paintwork without the decals.
Old 06 June 2008, 10:29 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

I was in this frame of mind on my first viewings.
However I am moving slowly towards liking it.

The classic will always be the most eye friendly of Imprezas IMO of course
Old 06 June 2008, 11:29 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Still couldn't see myself buying one.

They look better in the flesh (STI version) than in pictures, but still too ugly. OK the Saloon version was no looker either, but pretty in a weird sort of way.

Don't think I'd have a new Evo either. They look better in picture than in the flesh. Seen a red on at the dealers, and have seen Black, Blue & White one's while out & about. Look almost as bad.

Think I'd rather have a Audi S3, Golf R32 or GTI than either the new Impreza or Evo.

Trending Topics

Old 06 June 2008, 11:51 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Think I'd rather have a Audi S3, Golf R32 or GTI than either the new Impreza or Evo.[/quote]

i have to agree,if you sat all these cars together we all know which would come last on the desirabillity scale.

how could you even think of buying a new sti when for the same kind of price you could buy a real nice newish s3 or a fully kitted out ed30 golf?

i hate saying it as im not into the bmw thing at all but the new 123d Msport is looking rather nice in the current climate what with the tax hikes,fuel etc.
Old 06 June 2008, 11:55 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Times move on, things change.

Move with it, or stay in the past!

I think the new STi is not bad at all. I'd gladly have one.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:02 PM
bmfcrash
Scooby Regular

Not over keen on them TBH, but if you want a Scoody that blends into the mundain run of the mill cars on the road then they have got the design spot on !!!!
Old 06 June 2008, 12:04 PM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Times move on, things change.

Move with it, or stay in the past!

I think the new STi is not bad at all. I'd gladly have one.

Well said.A few more results like last weekend and I suspect a lot of the negative thinking will disappear.

DG
Old 06 June 2008, 12:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Distinguished Gentleman
Well said.A few more results like last weekend and I suspect a lot of the negative thinking will disappear.

DG
What results??
Old 06 June 2008, 01:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

These.
Old 06 June 2008, 01:33 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the subaru sti/wrx brand is dead!

Brands don't die, they evolve to survive

Be patient, lots of good things to come I recon as well as lots of bargains to be had in used scoobs
Old 06 June 2008, 01:34 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Well petter certaintly looks well pleased

as above if subaru gets back to the rally success they were in the 90's they might get rebranded again

and finally imprezas really not the best looking cars, never was and apperently never will be...

ill have the new sti any day
Old 06 June 2008, 01:42 PM
BargainGirl
Scooby Regular

They are selling all they can make, time moves on - we will all come to accept and love it soon enough
Old 06 June 2008, 01:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BargainGirl
They are selling all they can make, time moves on - we will all come to accept and love it soon enough
Hello.... why are you a "Bargain"
Old 06 June 2008, 01:52 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

i not too keen on the new shape, they look too much like the new beemers and the new honda's...says it all though i jus showed my missus the new impreza and she says it looks wicked....'women', lol
Old 06 June 2008, 04:10 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

saw a white one at sso and looked good also rumours of a 400 hp ppp mcrea special and also a good first show in the wrc 2nd overall for peter id have one just back from montys and think interia great half leather etc
Old 06 June 2008, 04:25 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Oh those, the WRC.

I thought the road-going STi had trounced all opposition 0-60, 0-100 and beaten the GT3 RS around the top gear track......or something of that nature.
Old 06 June 2008, 09:39 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bpm1588
my god what have they done!.......i had a wee trip down to the subaru garage today to get a run in the new sti.i have'nt seen one on the road so i thought maybe the pic's don't do it any justice,so with a open mind/wallet i will have a shifty.

did'nt even bother having a drive,left disgusted.as for the new wrx it does'nt even bear thinking about.

i have been a fan since watching the early 90's rally cars and am on to allmost 10 years of loyal impreza ownership but the new car has firmly put the final nail into subaru's coffin.
Why doesn't the new WRX bear thinking about its different there aren't may about and its as good if not better than my MY05 WRX was It might not look boy racer enough for some but I still haven't heard anyone suggest a 4 wheel drive performance car that can be had for the same money. Give it time and some more rally successes and the saloon cars will start to look very dated
Old 06 June 2008, 10:02 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

When i saw the new model in pics i reserved judgement until i saw one in the flesh. Went to see one in WRB with 17' wheels and thought it was gorgeous. i am one of the few who would never buy a WRB subaru, but the new sti looked great. So it only got better for me getting one in black and with 18' wheels. i have had classic, bug, blob(wagon & STi) and would still choose this look over the other shapes. For me and my family it ticks all of the boxes. Even sounds like a subaru now it run in. Dont forget- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

All IMHO of course, and to be honest, thats all that matters in the end

Lee
Old 06 June 2008, 11:41 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by codie247
When i saw the new model in pics i reserved judgement until i saw one in the flesh. Went to see one in WRB with 17' wheels and thought it was gorgeous. i am one of the few who would never buy a WRB subaru, but the new sti looked great. So it only got better for me getting one in black and with 18' wheels. i have had classic, bug, blob(wagon & STi) and would still choose this look over the other shapes. For me and my family it ticks all of the boxes. Even sounds like a subaru now it run in. Dont forget- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

All IMHO of course, and to be honest, thats all that matters in the end

Lee

i agree with you mate,fair play.beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but for me i really am a bit pee'd off.i feel short changed or something......why could'nt they make me a nice sti....one that i can love, anyway.

my chick kinda liked it,she recons my opinion comes from the fact they've made it a hatch.maybe a quantum leap,yes but bloody hell subaru why leap backwards.

who know's if success come in the wrc maybe they will catch on,but for now i think i will stick with the older cars
Old 06 June 2008, 11:57 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Whilst I'm still only vaguely warming to the new STi, it seems to me that people have forgot the original appeal of the Impreza. It was the ultimate sleeper. Somehow it got transformed into the most brash car on the road in whatever guise. So, in a sense perhaps Subaru are getting back to basics. A sleeper that really performs.

Ok, the dropped a bollock on the WRX.
Old 12 June 2008, 06:55 PM
suretrack
Scooby Newbie

I was about to buy a Golf but luckily I have discovered the Impreza WRX hatchback for £17,000, advantages over the Golf were that the looks of the Impreza was nicer, 225 BHP and most of all the All Wheel Drive and I am so happy with the car, surely is the best car I have ever had. Amazingly that the Impreza is the best selling car of the Swiss especially the eastern area
Old 13 June 2008, 12:39 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bpm1588
Think I'd rather have a Audi S3, Golf R32 or GTI than either the new Impreza or Evo.

i have to agree,if you sat all these cars together we all know which would come last on the desirabillity scale.

how could you even think of buying a new sti when for the same kind of price you could buy a real nice newish s3 or a fully kitted out ed30 golf?

i hate saying it as im not into the bmw thing at all but the new 123d Msport is looking rather nice in the current climate what with the tax hikes,fuel etc.
Every now and then the hate brigade have to post the usual crap, but does anyone seriously think MY08 owners bought their cars without a test drive in ALL the alternatives? Mmm, they probably do….

I have no prejudice against any car make, shape or type. I test-drove everything I fancied and could afford. Budget was to keep it under £30K. I bought a STi.

If you fancy a Vauxhall, BMW or an Audi go and buy one, simple.
Old 13 June 2008, 01:04 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Hello.... why are you a "Bargain"
Ha ha, that's one of PSLewis's many trolling accounts
Old 13 June 2008, 01:28 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

I was a bit worried when I saw the WRX, but the STi has really grown on me. Nice write-up in Evo sealed it, I would love to have one now.

Of course, it's different from the classic STi's, not as raw etc. but for someone like me who uses it as a family car it would be ideal, great performance, better interior and in STi form I think looks good. Colour has to be right though - I like the dark metallic grey.

Maybe special editions will come along to please the hardcore Scooby fans as well.

Although, I would have loved to see a proper Wagon version - especially if it was an STi!