Sponsored by:

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2008, 11:58 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

I've got a wrx03 runnning 311bhp. Do I need bigger brakes? If so which ones would people recomend. I'm after keeping the car standard looking so don't want bigger wheels. Any help is appreciated.

On the suspension side, prodrive springs. Are they worth it? It not a track weapon just a daily drive with a bit of fun at weekends. I hear alot of people say thicken the rear anti roll bar and add drop links? Is that worth it, if it's not on a track?

Finally, front anti roll bar thicker, is that worth it? I hear if you do the rear then the back end spins out!
Old 13 June 2008, 12:07 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes to all the above
ap 4pots brakes can fit in yr standard wheels
whiteline anti-roll bars on both ends with droplinks and anti-lift kit will improve the handling by huge amount ...then you will need a bigger turbo to enjoy all that handling
Old 13 June 2008, 12:11 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are going on track (or minted )upgrade your pads to EBC Yellow R's of the like, plenty good enough for the road. But yes to the ARB upgrade and links
Old 13 June 2008, 12:42 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I put front brembos on mine, but did need sti wheels to clear them, but I find them a lot better than the standard brakes. The brakes on the wrx where the one area I was disapointed with as standard. If you go this route you can get sti wheels same colour as wrx wheels so would look standard and you would do the lot for less money than a set of AP's, with selling my own wheels and brakes and having new discs and pads the whole upgrade cost just over £400, I thought this was a bargain taking into account the improvements it gave.
Old 13 June 2008, 10:54 AM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Another yes to the rear ARB and droplinks. Made a huge improvement. I've heard that uprating the front ARB just brings back the understeer, so I haven't done that. The anti-lift kit is tempting, though.

Also considering Prodrive springs, but like you, I want it to look std and it is a daily driver. Others have said that the ride isn't affected, but gives less body roll. I'll probably fit them when I need to change the shocks (being an 05 model, that probably won't be long!)

If you post in the brakes section, you'll probably get some good advice from Ian Godney (Godspeed brakes).
Old 13 June 2008, 11:55 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

The PD springs does change the ride, well did on mine. Made it much firmer.

The rear ARB, ALK and geometry was one of the best mods i did. BIG difference in handling and poise.
Old 13 June 2008, 01:28 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
yes to all the above
ap 4pots brakes can fit in yr standard wheels
whiteline anti-roll bars on both ends with droplinks and anti-lift kit will improve the handling by huge amount ...then you will need a bigger turbo to enjoy all that handling
Bigger turbo please don't get me started on engine mods again.
Old 13 June 2008, 01:34 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the responses I think my next mod is going to be the rear arb and drop links. I'll ask in the brake section for recomendations.

What are your opinions on the PD springs? I find the ride pretty good on the wrx standard. In saying that it scares me when I go around long sweeping bends. Would they improve this?