Sponsored by:

abs problem/how to

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2008, 08:54 PM
andre_k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs problem/how to

on a my98, i have a wierd abs problem. the abs light stays on 95% of the time, when its on my brakes are ok, but with no abs.

Sometimes, however, the light goes out. when its out and i brake, i get a second of pedal resistance/abs then then it brakes fine. It does this at any speed, and only during the 5% of the time when the light is out.

im going to tackle them tomorrow on my ramp. what shall i do first? clean the sensors? How do i clean them?

i also think my calipers may be sticking... is there a step-by-step guide anywhere?

thanks

andre
Old 23 May 2008, 09:01 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andre_k
on a my98, i have a wierd abs problem. the abs light stays on 95% of the time, when its on my brakes are ok, but with no abs.

Sometimes, however, the light goes out. when its out and i brake, i get a second of pedal resistance/abs then then it brakes fine. It does this at any speed, and only during the 5% of the time when the light is out.

im going to tackle them tomorrow on my ramp. what shall i do first? clean the sensors? How do i clean them?

i also think my calipers may be sticking... is there a step-by-step guide anywhere?

thanks

andre
It sounds like either a ABS speed sensor at fault or more than likely the relucter wheel on the hub/shaft is damaged or dirty, try doing a resistance check using a multimeter on each sensor while spinning the wheel/hub until you find the one that doesn't fuctulate and thats where the fault lies.
Old 23 May 2008, 09:35 PM
andre_k
Scooby Regular

cool, ill try that. thanks for the reply