Sponsored by:

Sports/Fast flow Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2008, 09:59 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports/Fast flow Downpipe

People i have a newage system fitted to my classic and it knocks and bangs about as it is not fitted right, so i am looking for a new system.

my thoughts were to go with a SPORTS/FAT FLOW DOWNPIPE - and CENTRE DECAT PIPE - finished off with the STI GENOME back box that i have on the way from japan.

i was looking at the the downpipes from :

scoobyworld - Ninja Downpipe with 100 Cell Fast Flow Sports Cat £299

Hayward and scott - Subaru Impreza Classic down pipe with a high flow cat £558

Revolution - revolution high flow cat £349

who is using what and how do you find them? there is a price jump to the hayward and scott are these that much better compared to the ninja etc?

as for decat centre pipes

scoobyworld - afterburner decat centre section (plus silencer)

scoobyclinic - Magnex Centre pipe (plus they do it with a resonator pipe) this may seem stupid but i assume that helps to reduce the sound of the exhaust same as the silencer

any help opinions would be great

steve
Old 22 May 2008, 10:04 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by stevie1982
People i have a newage system fitted to my classic and it knocks and bangs about as it is not fitted right, so i am looking for a new system.

my thoughts were to go with a SPORTS/FAT FLOW DOWNPIPE - and CENTRE DECAT PIPE - finished off with the STI GENOME back box that i have on the way from japan.

i was looking at the the downpipes from :

scoobyworld - Ninja Downpipe with 100 Cell Fast Flow Sports Cat £299

Hayward and scott - Subaru Impreza Classic down pipe with a high flow cat £558

Revolution - revolution high flow cat £349

who is using what and how do you find them? there is a price jump to the hayward and scott are these that much better compared to the ninja etc?

as for decat centre pipes

scoobyworld - afterburner decat centre section (plus silencer)

scoobyclinic - Magnex Centre pipe (plus they do it with a resonator pipe) this may seem stupid but i assume that helps to reduce the sound of the exhaust same as the silencer

any help opinions would be great

steve
What kind of power output are you aiming for?

I got 353 out of a prodrive sports cat, but I think it could have gone a bit further as when I removed it and had it mapped, it still only made 354.

My exhaust system now consists of: H&S decat downpipe, decat centre, scoobyworld afterburner mid section with silencer, PPP backbox.

I'm not sure why I didn't gain more power, but someone pointed out that their mid section silencer was very restrictive, so I'm going to remove it and see if it makes a difference

What I'm trying to get at is: Don't go for the silencer in the middle section, in my experience anyway.

Graham (911) liked the API sports cat more than the H&S apparently. He used to run an H&S on his 380bhp hill climber and didn't like the response after he put the H&S cat on.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:07 AM
New_scooby_04

I have the Ninja on my MY99 and at two levels of modification with it in place my figures have been bang on the money for what would have been expected with a decat. Very good bit of kit!

The car sails past the emissions test at MOT too!

Ns04
Old 22 May 2008, 12:10 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

well i was going to aim for the 380 mark as after speaking to bob and looking on me forrest website, the std internals on a 04 uk lump are at the limit so was not going to take it further, the next step after the exhaust is sort the gearbox out which would then give me room if i want to go for more power via a forger route or 2.5 conv. so 380 bhp for now.

are the silencers that restrictive? and how about the resonator option as restrictive or about the same?

also guys what diameter are you running 2.5" or 3"

Ns04 what system do you run then after the sports cat and what other mods and what do you achieve for your power output?
Old 22 May 2008, 12:13 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

forgot to ask henrik n Ns04 have you had your car on the track if so what were your sound readings? static and drive by? as this is one of my concerns

also forgot about the TSL Thundercat downpipe if anyone else is using that?
Old 22 May 2008, 12:43 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

my exhaust is really quite quiet IMO, barely louder than a standard PPP'd car I think.

I'm suspecting that the exhaust is holding my car back, though, as it "should" make more than 350 odd bhp. The prime suspects at the moment are the centre section silencer and PPP backbox.
However, I'm going to go for a full 3" revolution system at some point. It should still be quiet enough apparently.

If you're worried about noise, you need to keep induction noise in check also. Some cone filter solutions are quite loud (mine being one, unfortunately (apexi power cone filter)).

If you haven't got exhaust bits that you want to keep, I recommend you go straight to 3", as otherwise you'll do a Henrik and change bits, have a map, change bits, have a map etc ad nauseum
Old 22 May 2008, 01:46 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

problem is for a long time i wanted a STI GeNome back box and i have finaly got one on its way and i have been told that it is a 2.5" diameter pipe so i guess i need to keep it that way the rest of the way through or the back box wont match to the centre pipe

i dont mind loosing 5 or so bhp if it means it will be quiet enough for trackdays, i have a k&n and it seems to be ok.

just thought that with a sports cat it would pass the mot and help reduce the sound a little.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stevie1982
well i was going to aim for the 380 mark as after speaking to bob and looking on me forrest website, the std internals on a 04 uk lump are at the limit so was not going to take it further, the next step after the exhaust is sort the gearbox out which would then give me room if i want to go for more power via a forger route or 2.5 conv. so 380 bhp for now.

are the silencers that restrictive? and how about the resonator option as restrictive or about the same?

also guys what diameter are you running 2.5" or 3"

Ns04 what system do you run then after the sports cat and what other mods and what do you achieve for your power output?
Spec here: (or see my profile)

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-go-fmic.html

Not loud, similar to PPP. DOn't have any DB readings I'm afraid.

Ns04
Old 22 May 2008, 03:31 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ns04 similar spec to mine mate so you have gone the hayward route, any reason for that

off to subaru4you for the suspension to be done tuesday next week so shoul dbe all set up for the trackdays this year.

only prob is when i get the exhaust sorted it will need a map so might as well go for a bigger turbo but then will need clutch and flywheel, so see how long it lasts then it will be going for a 6 speed.