Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

police damaging YOUR car ???

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2008, 02:49 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything bad enough wrong with it for them to tow it? If not you've got nothing to worry about. If you have, get it sorted
Old 17 May 2008, 02:52 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Originally Posted by a_fisher
Is there anything bad enough wrong with it for them to tow it? If not you've got nothing to worry about. If you have, get it sorted

that isnt an answer to the question is it??

sorry i cant help
Old 17 May 2008, 03:14 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I guess the question your asking is does the Police or indeed the removals company that the Police use have any public libality insurance to cover accidental damage ?
Not sure if the Police do but pretty sure that the removals company would have some - but I imagine you would have a hard fight to prove that they damaged your car,
Police would pass it to the removal company, Removal compnay would try and pass the buck back to the police and your would be stuck in the middle !
Sorry to the doom bringer but this is how I see it would happen !

Richard
Old 17 May 2008, 03:19 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
strange question but hope you lot understand what i mean. here goes,

around hertfordshire over the last few weeks/months the police have been doing spot check thingys. the sort of thing where they cone off a part of the road and flag you in, to check your car. iv never been stopped but i was just wondering, if they found something truely bad with your car and they had to tow it away, what would happen if they damaged it whilst putting it on the low loader for example. ?? the reason i ask is that my daily driver is a slammed vectra v6 which i have spent alot of cash on over the last few years. ( it was my previous pride and joy before the scoob ). the front bumper alone cost me a fortune. if anyone knows Irmscher they will understand. lol

the police always stare at it as if they want to pull me. i hate it .

and i can just imagine the police getting in the scooby to check it over with their boots on and scuffing the kick panels and stuff. where do we stand if they damage/scratch something?
Not being funny but if they started being arseholes..they'd get told, the car is your possession and not theirs...any marks and id be taking down their no's...
Old 17 May 2008, 03:25 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If you could prove they have damaged it, then you could claim off their insurers, the problem is proving it. You would need a signed condition report, similar to one you sign when hiring a car I would imagine.
Old 17 May 2008, 07:09 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Always keep a camera in the car.

Take pics of the car (in particular the bits that are likely to get damaged, low spoilers, wheels/wings etc.).

If your camera has a date insert function, use it!

The mere fact that you are taking pics in front of the removal company will probably make them take extra care.
Old 17 May 2008, 08:26 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
there is nothing wrong and i am worrying over nothing. but i just thought of it thats all matey. i get these crazy moments. lol.
Sorry bud wasn't being rude just miss understood what you were asking

As above, would probably be difficult to prove but if you're there to witness them towing it then you can check they do it right. Trouble is what will they treat it as well when they get it to the other end.

Don't worry, I find it very hard leaving my car with anyone. I don't trust people I don't know or have not been recomended to me
Old 17 May 2008, 11:18 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

If anybody damages your car, they are (generally) liable for the consequences.

Insurance is what the defaulting party has, so as to cause less immediate impact to their wallet.

Evidence is what you need to demonstrate you have a claim and to be able to prove it.

Don;t worry too much about having the date on your camera. It's what you say to accompany the images that is important. Dates on pictures can be adjusted to suit, so are not reliable.
Old 19 May 2008, 05:29 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

If it helps, both police and their authorised recovery agents have public liability insurance. As already stated, if you believe damage has been caused by either party, then take photos, collar numbers of officers and log number for the removal if it's a stop check/recovery...