Disabling passenger Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 10:12 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking for a new car for the wife.
With a new arrival on the way we are looking for a car which has no passenger airbag [or the ability to disable the airbag].

Toyota Celica, Lexus IS200 will not de-activate the airbag. If you push them to, they ask for a disclaimer so in the case of an accident you cannot sue them.
BMW will de-activate, but it will cost you £500 and then another £500 to re-activate.
Only Alfa Romeo seem to have an on/off system for the airbags.
VW/Ford and others all have no de-activation.
The Mercedes A class has a special child seat which turns the airbag off when used.
Anyone out there no of a car we can get which will enable the new arrival to sit up front?
Something I actually did not know was that children were expected to be seated in the rear of the vehicle until age 7.
In the case of rear facing child seats and mothers that drive, how does the mother [or father for that matter] see what littl'un is up to if they are the only two in the car and the baby is in the back and you can't see his/her face.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:15 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I hasten to add, I'm not in disagreement with or having a dig at any car manufacturers decision regarding the passenger airbag.
Just looking for a solution. If it means the baby is in the back, we'll just have to live with it.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:16 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Bajie,

I dunno if it's much help, but everything I have seen on this subject says that the safest place for a child of any age is well secured in the back seat.

recaro do a rather flash forward facing seat that would get my vote

Old 11 January 2001, 10:31 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Porsche also have a connection for child seat that allows kids in the front without Airbag deployment. The Porsche seat is V.Good for toddlers(2 upward) but BWM make one of similar design(prob bit cheaper),both have a tray/play area in the front through which the whole belt goes so no worries on positioning of belt up at shoulder/neck area. Kid is held in place by large soft frontal area of tray thus distributing pressure better than seatbelt would in event of a crash. Both seats can be bought from dealers. Kids best in the back, possibly in the middle if you have diagonal middle belt, this will assist to avoid side impact issues.
Kids in the front means you will try to help them and stop them doing stuff so it affects your concentration, I find mine goes unusually quiet in the back, not sure why.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 11 January 2001, 10:32 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi have the feature to disable the passenger Airbag on their newer cars. But I think you need to specify the ISOFIX option. I know because I am in exactly the same boat myself, my wife is looking for a new motor and this is one of the features we need.

Good Luck
Paul
Old 11 January 2001, 10:33 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

I had a Merc C class recently as a hire car and I'm pretty sure it had a button to disable passenger airbag but it needed pressed after ever start of the engine.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:33 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

My S4 has a key switch in the passengers glove compartment. Pugs also have this feature on some models I think.

Jonathan
Old 11 January 2001, 10:36 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

A strategically mounted shaving mirror (convex) on the rear headrest leg & you can look in your (or an additional passenger one) rear view mirror.

When we bought the scoob, I sold the harness holes in the seat to my wife as a child viewing aid

Recarro seat is very nice for children 9mnths+. Get the infant starter pack tho'.