Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICKED UP THE REPLACEMENT FOR MY SCOOBY...

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 12:54 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink PICKED UP THE REPLACEMENT FOR MY SCOOBY...

Not strictly per the title as I still have the Scooby (for sale) <<<<<<<<

Seat : Hot Hatch Diesel FR+ TDI (150bhp)

When I started it, the noise of the diesel almost put a lump in my throat (rather than a lump in my trousers when i start the Scooby) however it is actually a superb car!!!

Most importantly I am getting 55mpg which is 2.5 times more than the Scooby!!! The road tax is more than half and the insurance almost a third. My work car allowance goes up (they are trying to 'green' the company) as well. Basically, once I sell the Scooby, I will be a whopping £324 per month better off (probably more as this calculation was based on only twice the fuel consumption.)

That aside, it grips the road well and has a stonker of a stereo!!!

Scooby anyone...........

Subaru : REDUCED WRX STI TYPE UK WITH OPTIONAL TSL 333 PACK
Old 13 May 2008, 01:01 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Not strictly per the title as I still have the Scooby (for sale) <<<<<<<<

Seat : Hot Hatch Diesel FR+ TDI (150bhp)

When I started it, the noise of the diesel almost put a lump in my throat (rather than a lump in my trousers when i start the Scooby) however it is actually a superb car!!!

Most importantly I am getting 55mpg which is 2.5 times more than the Scooby!!! The road tax is more than half and the insurance almost a third. My work car allowance goes up (they are trying to 'green' the company) as well. Basically, once I sell the Scooby, I will be a whopping £324 per month better off (probably more as this calculation was based on only twice the fuel consumption.)

That aside, it grips the road well and has a stonker of a stereo!!!

Scooby anyone...........

Subaru : REDUCED WRX STI TYPE UK WITH OPTIONAL TSL 333 PACK

Traitor !
Old 13 May 2008, 01:17 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

I have always liked the Seat Leon when kitted up. Hope you don't miss the Scoob too much (bet you will!).
Old 13 May 2008, 01:22 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Scooby to a diesel, you piece of scum!!

£324 better off but as miserable as you like, you will realise the error of your ways soon enough my friend.

G
Old 13 May 2008, 02:08 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Very nice car - looks just like the Cupra R. £324 per mont doesn't sound a vast amount of money, but I can assure everyone that month after month it really starts to add up - almost 4 grand a year which is probably 2 months take home for your average Scoobynetter. I think you have made the right decision and are going to enjoy a different kind of driving experience.
Old 13 May 2008, 02:19 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Nice looking motor.

Time for some of this:
http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/pdfs/carmake/Diesel27.pdf
Old 13 May 2008, 02:41 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

My experience of diesel is not as cost effective as on paper! Yes, the tax is cheaper due to the low co2 so you probably halve your usual tax bill for a year. But as far as mpg goes - the missus has a new Focus 2.0 TDCi and the book says 50mpg combined, but in reality we get under 40mpg (mostly stop/start motoring granted) and you pay 10% more for diesel. So yes, you are better off, but not like what it made out on paper. even on a motorway run it is not great if you have a heavy foot (occasional use roof box also doesn't help).

I still have my scoob though so don't care, she can drive the smog monster to work and back.

PS. Still like the Leon as stated before Every family should have one diesel just to compensate for the fact they should also have a scoob
Old 13 May 2008, 05:33 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Well, I have the Scoob at the moment so I have the best of both worlds!!!

One thing, you do not command the respect you get in a Scoob - A BMW cut in front of me this morning - that would not have happened in the Scoob.
Old 14 May 2008, 12:19 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You see the £'s difference between petrol & diesel at the mo?! Will only get wider as time goes on, thanks Labour

Nice looking Scoob BTW

TX.
Old 14 May 2008, 09:23 AM
s700by t
Scooby Regular

i got rid of my scooby a couple of months ago and now have an astra diesel estate i didnt realise how attached you could get to a lump of metal so hopefully getting another scooby this weekend
Old 14 May 2008, 09:28 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

A BMW cut in front of me this morning
That's nothing new in these parts.

Get it remapped. Will make for quite a nippy car.
Old 14 May 2008, 12:35 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just a quick point on mpg. You have to learn how to drive a diesel. Yes, town driving doesn't help and neither does sticking a high-drag box on the roof, but those things aside, if you stay off the turbo and avoid blasting down the outside lane and then standing on the brakes as you come up behind the car in front then you will get a lot better mpg. Take a look at JC on Top Gear when he drove the A8 to Edinburgh and back. There is a skill to driving economically and if anyone thinks they can just buy a diesel and money will pile up in their accounts then they are kidding themselves.
Old 14 May 2008, 12:47 PM
New_scooby_04

I will be a whopping £324 per month better off (probably more as this calculation was based on only twice the fuel consumption.)
I CAST THEE OFF SN!!!

Old 14 May 2008, 12:49 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Ever thought of becoming a salesman You'll be lucky to sell the scoob on the strength of that 'advert'.
Old 14 May 2008, 01:56 PM
harrykatinnen
Scooby Newbie

I also made the swap from a Scooby to a Leon Diesel (WRX to Mk2 TDI Sport 14O PSI the forerunner to the FR ) and was very pleased with the car both in terms of handling and performance.

I would agree that the MPG claims for diesels are sometimes optimistic but when I am showing a 39mpg return in the diesel on a town run I know I would be getting a lot less in the Scooby and I doubt very much that I could be doing 100mph in a scoob and still be returning over 30mpg! In the end I am filling up only once a fortnight instead of once or twice a week in the Scoob and the tax and insurance savings have offset the extra initial cost of the diesel engine. Yes Diesel becoming more expensive than unleaded petrol but surely the Scooby should be run on Super unleaded so it must be about the same.

I have recently moved on from the Seat to a Civic Type S GT 2.2 diesel which I find even more impressive in terms of both handling and performance.

Yes I still will admit to the occasional feeling of nostalga when I hear the sound of a flat four but three years on from the Scooby am I miserable....not on your life. Would I go back?.....the answer is no, not at the moment. However if they do put a more powerful version of the diesel boxer engine that is winning so much praise in the Legacy into the Impreza and badge it as a WRX (Or STI D as STD has other implications!) then I might well be tempted to return to the fold.
Old 14 May 2008, 02:20 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Just a quick point on mpg. You have to learn how to drive a diesel. Yes, town driving doesn't help and neither does sticking a high-drag box on the roof, but those things aside, if you stay off the turbo and avoid blasting down the outside lane and then standing on the brakes as you come up behind the car in front then you will get a lot better mpg. Take a look at JC on Top Gear when he drove the A8 to Edinburgh and back. There is a skill to driving economically and if anyone thinks they can just buy a diesel and money will pile up in their accounts then they are kidding themselves.
JC had to drive at the same speed (56mph?) for hours and have no aircon/radio/fans, etc, etc to get the most out of that Audi. Who in their right mind would do that for real??? You are right about driving style though, just the JC bit was OTT. I had to 'teach' the mrs about the low down torque and not needing to sit at 2k rpm I can massage the mpg to low 40s by being in 6th at 35mph! This is outskirts of town driving still. All I was trying to say is that diesel is not the holy grail of cheap motoring as many would believe. Just be careful before assuming you will be so much more better off by swapping. You definately will be, but at what cost to your enjoyment.

As stated before I drive my Scoob every day and the mrs has her Focus TDCi which I drive on weekends when we are out as a family and car parks are involved (no car parks = scoob can play )
Old 14 May 2008, 02:54 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

the new leons are very nice . id have one
Old 14 May 2008, 04:43 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drift_King
JC had to drive at the same speed (56mph?) for hours and have no aircon/radio/fans, etc, etc to get the most out of that Audi. Who in their right mind would do that for real??? You are right about driving style though, just the JC bit was OTT. I had to 'teach' the mrs about the low down torque and not needing to sit at 2k rpm I can massage the mpg to low 40s by being in 6th at 35mph! This is outskirts of town driving still. All I was trying to say is that diesel is not the holy grail of cheap motoring as many would believe. Just be careful before assuming you will be so much more better off by swapping. You definately will be, but at what cost to your enjoyment.

As stated before I drive my Scoob every day and the mrs has her Focus TDCi which I drive on weekends when we are out as a family and car parks are involved (no car parks = scoob can play )
You're quite right, JC did take it to extremes, but you got my point. Living in the South East there is little opportunity for high speed motoring so the loss of driving enjoyment is pretty limited. Sad though it seems, there is something very satisfying about popping £50 of diesel in and seeing the trip computer read 730 miles until the next fill up. FWIW my running costs are also 4 grand a year lower than my old STI and the two cars were almost a straight swap.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:45 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
You will see I said 'I am getting 55mpg' rather than the car 'does 55mpg.' I know what you mean about driving style - I must have mastered it to be getting this, having read some more info on the Seat Cupra net.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:47 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by speedking
Ever thought of becoming a salesman You'll be lucky to sell the scoob on the strength of that 'advert'.
You are right - the advert is cr@p and the car overpriced - can you tell that i am just doing it to get my wife off my back!!1

I will be improving the advert and properly cleaning the car up over the next few weeks for the sale!!
Old 14 May 2008, 04:52 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

People are all too fast to claim that they are not getting the right mpg in a diesel. they must therefore have a heavy foot. if they have a heavy foot, then the scooby fuel consumption must be ridiculous. So for each person individually, fuel costs are more than halfed when using a diesel.
Old 14 May 2008, 06:18 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

A lad over the road from me just got one of these last week, brand new and white. It looks very smart indeed with the nice alloys. Not quite a Scooby but I'd certainly consider one if I needed something more economical.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:28 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

back from driving hols-keep scooby for weekends and sensible diesel during the week?
martin
ps just ignore the escalating bills!
Old 16 May 2008, 08:38 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I thought this was a car enthusiast web community? You'll find many other interesting ways of saving money at: www.isoldouttosaveafewquideachmonth.com
Old 17 May 2008, 12:10 AM
BadJK
Scooby Regular

no no no no no
Old 17 May 2008, 12:13 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many of the anti-diesel brigade will be so dismissive when it costs them £120 to do 250 miles in their Scoobies? Coming to a petrol station near you soon.