Sponsored by:

New STI Price Increase

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2008, 11:00 PM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New STI Price Increase

I'd just about convinced mesfelf to buy one of these and they put the price up by over £1500!

B**tards. If giant road tax and dubious looks weren't enough this is the final straw Evo X anyone?

Perhaps I'll get all old and sensible and keep the MY04 WRX PPP Wagon.
Old 12 May 2008, 11:56 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Well that should sort out the undersupply problems. Add that £1500 to next year's £1000 initial road tax and a few nice options and you're looking at 30 grand. Idiots only need apply.
Old 13 May 2008, 08:32 AM
BargainGirl
Scooby Regular

Are they are selling like hot cakes and Subaru just building in bigger profits or is the £ weak against the world currencies?
Old 13 May 2008, 10:58 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

weak £ and I guess general increases in costs for materials (steel through the roof for example) and transportation (gotta cost a lot to get them on the boats from Japan)
Old 13 May 2008, 11:44 AM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

It's funny as when i went to the dealer to have a look they all had 4/5 sitting unregistered at the front of the show room and they all stated they are selling loads and i asked why non of the ones at the front where sold? Got a bull **** answer.
Old 13 May 2008, 01:25 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I guess it sometimes depends on how they are doing with batches coming in. When I got mine the dealer allocations were pretty slim with many having sold their allocation (not necessarily meaning all the STI's were sold), with Subaru UK limiting the numbers, to some degree, available to each dealer. In practice that may be good news for resale value but I'm not holding my breath, I've bought fully expecting a huge loss but the huge grin I have everytime I drive it makes it completely worthwhile

Sadly buying and running these types of car is not going to get any cheaper so jump in now if you really really want one and can afford to run it or wait for the 2nd-hand market to start to fill with the newer models and the prices come down (and let someone else pay the price increase and ridiculous 1st year greenie numpty tax).
Old 13 May 2008, 02:08 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

How much are they in blighty? they are €49,950 here.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2008, 02:10 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

£26.5K I think now, were £25K - but all base spec so far
Old 13 May 2008, 02:12 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
How much are they in blighty? they are €49,950 here.

About 32000 Euro at current exchange rate. If Subaru sell any at 49950 Euro then frankly your country has a serious mental health problem.
Old 13 May 2008, 02:17 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Blueblaster

About 32000 Euro at current exchange rate. If Subaru sell any at 49950 Euro then frankly your country has a serious mental health problem.
Subaru deliberately overpriced them here in the hope the Germans will start buying them, the problem with Germans is they will look at the car and see how wonderful it actually is then look at the price, if the price is to low for the spec the will think there is something wrong and not buy it. However if they look at the spec and the price reflects what they think the car should cost they will buy it. Hence why they all drive round in over priced under powered over engineered German cars.

It is a mind game Subaru are now playing here, the only problem is the normal members of the human race like us are getting stitched up. But as I have no intention of purchasing such a monstrosity it doesn't bother me how much they charge for them.
Old 13 May 2008, 02:44 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

<cough> How much?!

Just checked, a BMW 335i saloon lists for €41300 - plus options, of course - but for that you get a 3 litre straight six turbo with 300 bhp. For another €2600 you can get an upgrade to the 335xi which is 4WD.

You'd have to be absolutely barking to buy the new STI instead, IMHO.
Old 13 May 2008, 03:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
You'd have to be absolutely barking to buy the new STI instead, IMHO.
correction! you would have to be absolutely barking to buy the new STi
Old 13 May 2008, 03:22 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Wurzel is not being quite so honest with the price in Germany there!

The base price in Germany, like for like spec to the UK is €43,770.
The Sport-Pack version retails at €48,770.
Metallic paint is a further €390.

Also when you compare the price with the neighbouring countries (Austria, Switzerland, France, Holland) its actually about right. The Euro imports you get in the UK are not coming from any major European countries

Wurzel is IMHO correct that they are trying to price the new Impreza in the same bracket with the competition. Many Germans, and Europeans in general, aren't willing to accept that an imported Japanese car can be cheaper than a locally produced European car, so immediately disregard the old Impreza as rubbish because they can't build a good car that cheaply!

The other fact is that NOBODY in Germany pays the full asking price. Discounts are expected by the manufacturers and accordingly priced in! I can assure you all, that I didn't pay anywhere near that price for my sport-pack car!

Also to consider is the lack of availability on the 2nd hand market in Germany means that residuals are very high, particularly compared to the German counterparts! I traded in my old 03 STI for 50% of the original price after 5 years - not a bad depreciation figure in anyone's books! If you do a search for 03 STI for sale in Germany, there are currently only 2 available, both from dealers (one is my old one) and none available for private sale! So long as Subaru DE don't cut the price in the future, then residual values should be quite reasonable!

As for the UK price increases, that is likely to affect all imported cars be it from Japan or Europe. The £ has lost over 20% of its worth compared to the € since November and similar losses against the Yen. Manufacturers can ride this for a while, but ultimately prices in the UK are set to increase. My guess is the larger manufacturers will wait for the exchange to settle before deciding a new price. As a small manufacturer, Subaru can less afford to wait and further price increases could be possible if the £ continues to fall!

Just wonder how many Euro-sceptics out there still think its a bad idea to join the single currency!
Old 13 May 2008, 03:43 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Al I was going by the blue one my dealer has with silver wheels etc it is advertised at the price I quoted. If that is the uprated one then my apologies for misleading anyone.
Old 13 May 2008, 08:44 PM
ed555
Scooby Newbie

If you think £26.5K is bad..... Just check here: http://www.subaru.nl/files/pdfs/prij...st_Impreza.pdf

How about € 55.695,- for the standard and € 61.695,- for the Executive.

Hard to believe it's only 8 years ago that lots of "Dutch Scooby's" were exported to the UK.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:03 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

It was funny when I mentioned this at the dealers yesterday... his response was: "Yes, mate. It's a new business strategy.... if they don't sell, raise the price to see if that helps". To be fair, he did blame the yen, but he also reiterated the "they aren't selling" point.

To shift them, they need PPP (which he reckoned they might not even do as he's hearing nothing about it), or a special with all the extras and more grunt IMHO. Then again, I did buy a WR1 last time ;-)
Old 13 May 2008, 10:33 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BargainGirl
Are they are selling like hot cakes and Subaru just building in bigger profits or is the £ weak against the world currencies?
according to my local dealer, yes. But ive only ever seen one 'sport', one 'wrx' and one 'sti' on the actual road. And the sport is driven by the guy from the dealer, the wrx is driven by an old guy in his 60's, and the sti had trade plates on it.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

How about: they raise the price, leave it like that for a few weeks, then offer "discounts" back to the original price?

I bet it fools SOME people;D

Alcazar
Old 14 May 2008, 10:59 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fisherpl
I'd just about convinced mesfelf to buy one of these and they put the price up by over £1500!

B**tards. If giant road tax and dubious looks weren't enough this is the final straw Evo X anyone?

Perhaps I'll get all old and sensible and keep the MY04 WRX PPP Wagon.
Sorry but an extra £1500 on a car that will cost you upwards of £25k really isn't that much of big deal IMO.

Evo X????? They start at £27,500 and go all the way to £37,999???????
Old 14 May 2008, 11:06 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Sorry but an extra £1500 on a car that will cost you upwards of £25k really isn't that much of big deal IMO."

It is a big deal when it's an overpriced fugly piece of sh*te to begin with!
Old 14 May 2008, 01:11 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Still pretty good value inho for the performance you get and back inline with the last of the hawkeyes, just difficult knowing they were cheaper last month. Personally if I really wanted it then the £1.5K probably wouldn't hold me back, they are not cheap cars to own/run anyway you look at it.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:30 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Quote:
"Sorry but an extra £1500 on a car that will cost you upwards of £25k really isn't that much of big deal IMO."

It is a big deal when it's an overpriced fugly piece of sh*te to begin with!
Well no body mentions the fact that you should still be able to negotiate a discount of at least 2% and probably more if they aren't selling
Old 15 May 2008, 09:08 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ed555
If you think £26.5K is bad..... Just check here: http://www.subaru.nl/files/pdfs/prij...st_Impreza.pdf

How about € 55.695,- for the standard and € 61.695,- for the Executive.

Hard to believe it's only 8 years ago that lots of "Dutch Scooby's" were exported to the UK.
Pah.

Childs play.

Buy one in Ireland - €66,250 + Dealer charges!

Pricelist | IM Automotive/Subaru Ireland Website
Old 15 May 2008, 10:40 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

'kin 'el! Now I KNOW I got a real bargain