Sponsored by:

Selling Up

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2008, 09:48 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Selling Up

So who else is thinking of selling their scoob with the price of fuel and the final nail in the coffin, the road tax hike next year.

I previously owned a MY00, which i sold to get a STI04, great car, but with only doing 3000/4000 miles a year, it will cost me over £1200 a year before i even get to drive it with insurance and road tax. The fuel i can cope with at todays price with the low mileage i do, but now the wife has given up work to raise the baby, and having her own little run around things will get tight.

It seems a shame, as i spent nearly 5 months looking for this car last year, but we all seem to be getting hit and priced out of owning these type of cars.
Old 10 May 2008, 10:04 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

never enter my mind m8 , I would only sell if I can afford a New M3/the new Skyline GTR/ maybe a 997 Turbo
Old 10 May 2008, 10:08 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

gordon brown will never stop me having a scooby!! the scottish weasel!!
Old 10 May 2008, 10:11 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep it m8,even if you have to sorn it and keep it off the road while you think about it..theres no way im selling mine..im not being bullied into giving up my scoob..But you could always sell now and get a classic..it's difficult to comment as every persons situation is different..At the end of the day just do what you feel you need to do...
Old 11 May 2008, 12:11 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

trust me. dont do it. i regret selling mine
Old 11 May 2008, 12:14 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i'll sell mine when i get my papers all sorted to go abroad

Last edited by bootsy; 11 May 2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11 May 2008, 12:19 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i think about it while its locked up in my garage on a night but in the day when i get it out and have a drive and see other scooby owners wave or flash makes me decide im in the right car imagine been in a focus tdci or something no one cares

take alook there is little hope and i say little but at least there is some

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ing-taxes.html
Old 11 May 2008, 10:23 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Charlie_Boy, given your location (London) I think you are probably doing the right thing. If you were living somewhere Oop Norf then your low mileage would probably be justification enough for keeping it, but down here the opportunities to use it are extremely limited. For what it is worth, I was delighted to get rid of mine because an extra £300-400 of running costs each month would seriously impact my disposable income. My advice would be to get something small, though baby friendly, with a zippy engine and an spritely chassis and enjoy whizzing around London at low speeds.
Old 11 May 2008, 08:21 PM
TYP 3R
Scooby Regular

I would like to sell mine but the decline in the used car market and price of fuel is affecting my decision to sell, have a figure what i would like to sell for but dont think i would get any where near my estimation.
Old 11 May 2008, 08:52 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Charlie_Boy, given your location (London) I think you are probably doing the right thing. If you were living somewhere Oop Norf then your low mileage would probably be justification enough for keeping it, but down here the opportunities to use it are extremely limited. For what it is worth, I was delighted to get rid of mine because an extra £300-400 of running costs each month would seriously impact my disposable income. My advice would be to get something small, though baby friendly, with a zippy engine and an spritely chassis and enjoy whizzing around London at low speeds.
that will be a Supersport Honda Fireblade/Yamaha R1/Kawasaki ZX 10 then

oops forgot not baby friendly
Old 11 May 2008, 08:59 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

That's why panniers were invented. Room for twins!
Old 11 May 2008, 09:12 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

only if you dare
Old 11 May 2008, 09:29 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bootsy
i'll sell mine when i get my papers all sorted to go abroad
Thats the way to go i think mate
Old 11 May 2008, 09:43 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I sold my MY03 STI a few weeks ago due to various reasons, some financialy related.
I bought a daily commuter family size diesel which has served a great puprpose already and my new toy, an RB5.
The RB5 is certainly not a beast (yet) like the STi was, but its half the insurance cost and the tax will remain at £180 or so for the next couple of years.
I don't regret selling the STI as the RB5 is keeping me busy with adding little mods and it is a pleasure to own and drive.
Old 11 May 2008, 10:04 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

who we going to sell them to????

i think mine will just be mothballed until it becomes a classic classic(?!?!?) and then brought out for vintage rallies!!!
Old 11 May 2008, 10:49 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

My brother in law doesn't drive a Scooby but his car will fall into the new tax bracket. He changed it to an oil burner to save £200 a year on tax from next year. After trade in he added 5K. I reckon thats about 25 years of the extra tax till he's in pocket
Old 11 May 2008, 10:55 PM
Wulsey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by El Cat
the scottish weasel!!

this may offend us scot's north of the border you know!!!

Anyway i'll never part with my scoob!
Old 12 May 2008, 09:53 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I think that the tax increase/poor mpg, etc, will have the opposite effect on me, i.e. I'll be keeping it for some years to come. The used prices are taking such a beating that it's not worth selling it - I would hate to part with a mint 05 STI in white with PPP and 13k on the clock for some ridiculous knocked-down price, just because of Gordon Brown's inability to control his spending!

In the mean time, I also have my '99 Punto Sporting (!) if I feel the need to drive something a little more economical...
Old 12 May 2008, 10:09 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
My brother in law doesn't drive a Scooby but his car will fall into the new tax bracket. He changed it to an oil burner to save £200 a year on tax from next year. After trade in he added 5K. I reckon thats about 25 years of the extra tax till he's in pocket
I know, I looked at selling once. The oil burners I looked at I had to spend aprox another 3K ontop of what my classic is worth. I'd rather spend that on fuel.
Old 12 May 2008, 12:31 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a_fisher
I know, I looked at selling once. The oil burners I looked at I had to spend aprox another 3K ontop of what my classic is worth. I'd rather spend that on fuel.
This theory seems to have some support on this thread. Just so you know, a carefully driven diesel could save you more than £3k per year in running costs (in my case nearer £4k per year for my 15,000 miles). And it will save me that amount next year and the year after. Everyone has to make a different calculation based on their usage, but in doing so you really have to be honest about how much your Scoob is really costing you and also make a realistic comparison - it's not fair to say that you currently drive a 2001 STI and the only diesel you found that you liked was brand new and cost 4 times as much. Don't kid yourself - your bank account won't lie so you shouldn't either.