Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How close do you sit to the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2008, 07:49 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How close do you sit to the wheel?

I sit pretty close, seen a few articles how the best seating position is when seated, if you reach to the steering wheel, and can easily and comfortably rest your wrist on the wheel.

Not stretching too far, and obviously not being too close.
Old 05 May 2008, 08:01 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I teach people to sit in a normal, comfortable position, not leaning forward, pushing back or leaning and reach out and grip the top of the wheel (12 o'clock) with one hand. Adjust the rake of the seat (having already set the height (3-4" clear of roof lining) and reach (for the clutch)) so that your arm is at lock-out. Once you reposition your hands at 10-to-2 you will be the perfect distance with a slight bend in the arm and good articulation to control the wheel.
Old 05 May 2008, 09:03 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I find that getting my lower back into a comfortable position that's the problem, I must be one of the few people who find STI un-comfortable LOL !

But I did try to knacker my back back in 1995....

DunxC

P.S. I also find sitting nearer the wheel makes me short tempered. LOL
Old 05 May 2008, 10:46 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
I find that getting my lower back into a comfortable position that's the problem, I must be one of the few people who find STI un-comfortable LOL !

But I did try to knacker my back back in 1995....
Not being sure of your exact problem with your back - but have you tried a CG-Lock? It lets you lock the lap section of the belt out so you can get your **** right into the back of the seat and stops you slipping/slouching.

Lots of people seem to think I have my seat close to the wheel - but I can rest my wrists on my steering wheel when they're locked out, I must just have short arms

I also have my seat quite upright though..
Old 05 May 2008, 02:35 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Lots of people seem to think I have my seat close to the wheel - but I can rest my wrists on my steering wheel when they're locked out, I must just have short arms

I also have my seat quite upright though..
Long legs
Old 05 May 2008, 03:01 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

the cars too small and I'm too big ... perfect seating position for me is not an option
Old 05 May 2008, 03:44 PM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

I suffer from long legs short arms syndrome. So has i tend to get pains in my knees mores than i do in my shoulders i set more far back than what i should.
Old 05 May 2008, 03:54 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

I have my seat tilted quite far back, can just grip the steeringwheel at the 25 to 6 position
When i go round bends i tend to find i lean forward to see the road

I feel uncomfortable with the seat uppright
Old 05 May 2008, 04:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you need to lean forward to see the road then you need to adjust your seating position and get used to it. I always ask my young students which looks coolest, sitting like your Dad, or sprawling back all cool with your car embedded under a truck

Lesson #1 - The Cockpit Drill - Seat adjustment

1. Set height so the top of your head is 3-4 inches from the roof lining. You should be able to fit your clenched fist in the space between.
2. Set the reach of the seat so that you can comfortably press the clutch fully down without either stretching your leg to full extension, or fouling the dashboard.
3. Set the rake of the seat by fully extending your arm to grip the top of the wheel in the 12 o'clock position without having to lean forward or back. Once hands are moved to the 10-to-2 position they should have a slight bend at the elbow.
4. Adjust the head restraint so that the dome of the back of your skull sits centrally when pushed back into it.

I tought a guy last year who was around my height (6'1") but had a 37" inside leg (I'm 32"). His body and arms were short but his legs were ridiculous, but he was still able to find a comfortable and suitable position with the height raised, reach pushed well back and rake leaning him towards the wheel. So far he's had the strangest body proportions, and yet he could get a good position, so there's no excuse for people with more average proportions really.
Old 05 May 2008, 04:10 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

i have to have the seat as far back as it will go, an inch further back would be even better
Old 05 May 2008, 04:24 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dave247
i have to have the seat as far back as it will go, an inch further back would be even better
Snap! The joys of being 6'3 NOBODY likes to sit behind me