Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Starting Woes – Have I replaced the right part?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2008, 08:03 AM
tl01-truck
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Woes – Have I replaced the right part?

Not sure if I’m unlucky or I’ve not replaced the right part.

A couple of months ago my classic WRX started to be troublesome to start – I would have to engage gear and push the car back and forth before it start. When you turned the key nothing happened but after moving the car I was able to start the car – This would happen intermittently – SO I REPLACED the starter motor - (reconditioned from motor factors).

Things were fine to start with then this has happened again – any idea or should I replace the starter motor again.

Cheers
Old 01 May 2008, 09:30 AM
s700by t
Scooby Regular

take the starter back off fill it with grease /wd40 or something put it back on and things should be fine/i had the same problem on mine /a very helpfull bloke on another forum told me about the solution welldone hs
Old 01 May 2008, 10:51 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Check the wiring. And earth straps

Also check the ignition switch.

Paying particular attention to the voltage of the thin wire that goes to the starter motor solonoid whilst trying to start the engine with teh fault present (i.e measure volatge when it won't work)....if there is too much voltage drop, it will usually click but there is not enough power to engage the starter gear and close the contactor which activates the starter motor. Rocking the car whilst in gear helps as the flywheel moves to the position in which the starter gear engages more easily so - which is usually a symptom of the solonoid being weak or the a lack of power to it stopping it from working properly (either bad feed, or bad earth).

Alternate method is to run a wire direct from the the starter solonoid connector and touch it breifly on the positive terminal on the battery and see if the engine turns over then (the old hot-wire trick ). If the starter still plays up, the starter is probably faulty - but check the the earth strap conections and main power lead to confirm.

If a large voltage drop is noted on the thin wire to the solonoid, its often caused by a dodgy/worn ignition switch (common) or bad wiring (internally corroded) - often seen where an immobiliser/alarm has been spliced into the vehicle's wiring to disable the starter circuit.

Not to forget a duff battery, but I assumed that's already been ruled out

Small note on "recon" motors; long time ago I used to recon Lucas and Marelli starter motors for LSUK. All that was done was they were stripped down, quick visual inspection, cleaned, painted, new bushes, new solonoid cap fitted and put back together. Quick test on the bench and that was it; essentially 95% of the motor was still in pre-recon condition. The only fault they usually ever had was the contactor in solonoid cap; so in 95% of cases thats all that made the difference between the old motor working or not.

Last edited by Shark Man; 01 May 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02 May 2008, 08:27 AM
tl01-truck
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the good suggestions

Will try to get this sorted out over the weekend

Cheers