Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air filters

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2001, 02:52 PM
markd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has any body out there had problems with ram air filters with reguarding to them not holding there shape or oil dripping from them .are k&n any better.thanx mark
Old 07 January 2001, 08:23 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have read on one of the performance sites (Graham Goode I think) that the oil coating from the ramair can enter your air flow meter and burn on the sensing wire causing malfunction.

I personally have a ramair fitted as it came with my scoobysport backbox. It was fitted without any excess oil dripping from it and I have had no problems at all.

Noticed on last Subaru run I was on that I was reeling in standard turbos when overtaking in convoy. Usually you all stay together with about the same gap. I also had the bonnet vents opened up which does make a difference. Put them back on for winter though.

Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Greg
Old 08 January 2001, 11:09 AM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

Exactly what difference have you noticed by having the vents opened?

(Have mine opened too by the way)
Old 08 January 2001, 11:25 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chaps, under the driver side vent (with cover removed) you are opening up area which is not supposed to take in water (the MAF-air flow sensor) I drove without the vents in the summer to aid cooling (no performance gain, just noise from inducion kit) and then on October had an issue. It pi$$ed with rain one night and the MAF got wet because of the vent....car was running rich and all sorts..the pops and bangs sounded great at roundabouts but it drank fuel. Cleaned the MAF with some electrical cleaner and replaced the wet components with the dried same ones.....problem fixed and plates also put back on.

Too be honest, I found it no different, perhaps in heat dispersal it is but made no significant difference to mine...this also included some loud pedal action in belguim in some really warm temperatures...again no change.

Its up to you, but from expeirience of contaminating the MAF (which aint cheap) it aint worth it! Thanks to Secret Agent Man on this BBS for the help on this one when I though I was in trouble!

Regards
Ronnie
Old 09 January 2001, 09:34 PM
PL
Scooby Regular

RAM AIR FILTERS SUCK!!!Just had a £300 bill for a new mass air flow meter as it was contaminated by the oil in the filter!

[This message has been edited by PL (edited 09 January 2001).]
Old 09 January 2001, 09:48 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Here Mark, forget the toy air filters m8, go 4 the real deal, what u need is an HKS ssystem No fannyin about with em jus stick it on an forget bout it well I say that a bit TIC, forget bout it if u cant hear the huge increase in induction sound Only thing with em is u need 2 change the filter element bout every 6month if u do 1/4s & track dayz, but hey u r only like £30 for an element.
Old 09 January 2001, 09:53 PM
RichyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Question

Can you give me a good site where I can buy an HKS inductions system for my WRX online....dying to get one!!
Old 09 January 2001, 09:57 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve
I get another 0.4 psi of boost with them open on my gauge. As the existing blanking plates have drain holes in them and the water goes down there anyway I cant see the harm in opening them up. I was more concerned with the water over the battery terminals than anything else. By the way my car is garaged when not being used so water ingress is probably not as great as some. If you consider the underbonnet arrangement with the undertray and air being forced through the radiator and scoop, there isnt really a proper escape route for the air under the bonnet. In my opinion opening up the vents allows the underbonnet air to vent more efficiently causing the charge air temp to drop due to better thermal efficiency of intercooler.

The ram air I got had been drip dried for 2 years so I wasnt too worried about fitting it. Been fitted a year now no probs. However if I was buying another filter I would consider a different type due to the fear of oil going into the air meter. I have heard ITS reccommended.

Due to the other posts where difficulties have been experienced obviously I wouldnt reccommend either route. I was just trying to give an informed opinion as nobody else had attempted to answer your post.
Best Regards
Greg

Old 09 January 2001, 09:59 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Question

PL,
How long did you have the ramair filter on I've had one on for 9 months with no probs, but did notice when it came the packaing was soaked in the oil!!