Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished a long test drive of the 08 STi...

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2008, 05:14 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished a long test drive of the 08 STi...

And... I like it overall but for me there are too many question marks that left me wondering.

I think half the problem is owning a lunatic paper-weight STi RA, everything in my classic is responsive (apart from the bits that fall off lol), it's light and twitchy with the DCCD set to diff-free, a little or loads of rear slide, how I like it.

When I got in the STi it reminded me of my old newage STi, same interior feel and same weighty (and sometimes laggy response) feeling. The car is a bit deceptive, you approach the STi and it looks wide (and feels it too when driving) but when you get into the interior it's a bit odd, I just felt cramped for some reason, maybe I was expecting it to be roomy inside - leg room is better though so thats a plus for me.

But I wasn't interested in the interior as I hardly have any in my RA hehe

I'll be first to say the "Playstation Generation" controls are bollox.. sorry but I spent 10 minutes looking at the dial and the SI drive, the manual, scratching my head and then going **** it and putting the car into manual diff-free mode (or the equivelant).

On the other settings I couldn't see myself using any of em, just couldn't find anywhere where I would so I ended up just hitting S+ map and manual dccd everytime. On this setting the car was quite nice, not a riot like the older STi PPP or my RA but still surprisingly fast.

Gearbox is sweet, not sure what they improved but it doesn't feel like the gearstick is about to pop back into neutral when you do some fast shifting (sensation I got in newage models), 1st to 2nd is damn short but 3rd felt good, a nice workhorse gear for getting in/out of trouble.

The one I drove is in gunmetal grey and I have to say it's the best colour for this car. I think it's due to the body lines and I have always had the opinion certain colours work with certain body lines i.e bring them out or make the car look wider/taller/longer than it really is.

The grey colour makes the car look fatter, wider and more stubby so I really like it but they really ****ed the back of the car. It's crying for some serious body bashing on the rear to get it looking good (probably carbon rear wing, different lights etc).

Not a fan of the grill area, looks too busy and tacky, I think removing the lower trim under the badge or colour coding the area black will work better.

Engine is different, noticed a few new/reworked things, seems to fill out the engine bay more. But wtf have they done to the sound?! Even at full chat I could barely hear the familiar bark or even a rumble at low speeds. I really really really hate those gimp boy 4 port exhausts, just look isht imo. They should have made a PPP style exhaust with a single exit pipe snugly fit under the rear diffuse/bumper valance or whatever the hell it is.

Overall: 7 out of 10 for effort.

It's not a bad drive but I am not buying one. However it will suit the wider majority of drivers, it's not unnerving and aggressive as other models so I can see the joe average driver getting to grips with the car but that also worries me, it could inspire too much confidence and we will have people ending up in a ditch.. by some farm road

If I did own it I would have it on sport sharp+ and/or manual dccd all the time but then I can see fuel economy going down the drain, it's not a light car so won't be as friendly on economy as everyone thinks.

Looking forward to what Prodrive do to the STi
Old 26 April 2008, 05:30 PM
kennyc
Scooby Regular

Good write up. What you going to buy instead?
Old 26 April 2008, 06:25 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I drove one a while back, very pleasant, not a bit like mine....

So no sale, sorry !

DunxC
Old 26 April 2008, 06:29 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Any performance car that has loads of gizmos and electronic adjustments just isn't for me either. Even basics like electric windows and aircon I can do without
Old 26 April 2008, 06:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What's he going to buy? A Rover 25/MG ZR........looks the same, lighter, more fuel efficient, and can be cheaply tuned Much cheaper to buy, too

Alcazar
Old 26 April 2008, 06:50 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
What's he going to buy? A Rover 25/MG ZR........looks the same, lighter, more fuel efficient, and can be cheaply tuned Much cheaper to buy, too

Alcazar
Lol Alcazar, don't temp me

No I was hoping to put my money on the 08 STi as in many other area's it ticks the right boxes namely child safety, leg room and boot space which is not too bad. But I just didn't feel like I got on with the car.

Other test drives to do:

Newage Legacy GTB (almost standard in WR Blue bar a few choice engine mods)
06/07 STi Forester (provided I can find one, hoping for white but will go with WR Blue as 2nd choice)
Subaru Tribecasaurus - yeah it's an odd one but when I had a go of one in Warrick Prodrive day I was amazed at the bloody interior spec, as good as an S Class merc!
Old 26 April 2008, 09:00 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

I think the new STi is perfect for me, I drive a bugeye wagon so obviously the looks don't bother me, and from write ups it seems to be a little softer than previous STi's, but a big step up from my WRX. Sound perfect! Good job as the new WRX has lost it.

Hope you hardcore scooby nutters get some decent special editions to keep you happy.
Old 27 April 2008, 12:09 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Great write up .... may still have to book in for a full test drive myself though .... just to see

one thing I don't agree with though is the interior space. Rear legroom may be improved (not that I checked) but the front has less than my newage for sure. I know that because my seat in mine is all the way back all the way on the floor with a fair recline as well and is suitably comfortable (although the pedal position can start to jar after a couple of hours) but I felt cramped in the new one. Obviously for most normal sized people it wont be a problem but for those of us at the outer regions of mass it's a step down.
Old 27 April 2008, 12:34 AM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

I was given the 08 sti while my car was having its service so a good 2 hours and my over all opinion when i took it back was it's **** only looks good in 2 colours close up but from a distance still looks awful as you don't see the lines and from the side looks like an old focus.
Power is ok but nowt to write home about and was very thirsty.
The handling to say how they've made such a big thing about how its glued to the road was laughable. On round abouts it was constantly letting go at the back end in a bad way as speed wasn't high! Go in to corners with a bit of speed and the front always understeered didn't inspire you to push it. The interior to me felt like been in a astra nothing special at all.
I was very disappointed as i thought before it looks rubbish so the rest must be good but its just total rubbish!
Old 27 April 2008, 04:28 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Swifty,

"The handling to say how they've made such a big thing about how its glued to the road was laughable. On round abouts it was constantly letting go at the back end in a bad way as speed wasn't high! Go in to corners with a bit of speed and the front always understeered didn't inspire you to push it."

I think the JDM version is different. Was in evo last month and wasted
a lambo in the wet. They called it just about the best handling wet road
car they had driven. Who knows what the differences are? J
Old 27 April 2008, 09:35 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Nice write up & at least you chance of good long test drive rather than the usual 20 mins sat next to the salesman.

Im still not convinced, seen 3 reviews in the last few days (EVO, Total Impreza & Performance Car) with PC giving it the best review, but in order of merit still place it behind a Golf GTi?

Im due to go into the dealers next week to pick up a few bits & bobs, so will see if i can get a test drive as I can't quite decide whether to keep my current 555 'toy' & upgrade the 'family' car or go for an '08

Last edited by DazW; 27 April 2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: .
Old 27 April 2008, 03:40 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Gone from a modded 53Sti type uk(345bhp), to a 08 Sti.

Looks wise- wanted to get away from the traditional subaru, the big scoop and rear spoiler, something a bit more understated. The 08 looks great in my opinion, lot better in the flesh. Couple of tweeks here and there(splitter, flaps etc.) same tweeks as any other subaru.

Handling- had a couple of whiteline bits,prodrive springs and geometry on my 53 Sti, and i still have more confidence with the 08 STi. You do get roll but it seems only roll so far, fast or slow, if you get what i mean . I have a set of certain roundabouts and lanes in which i have frequented in all of my subarus, the 08 takes them the best. The grip is immense once you are confident enough with the car.The ride is not jarring at all, you get grip and stability when pushing it, comfort when your not.

Interior-Interior of the 08 is leaps and bounds better than the 53 STi. Better looking, better equipment, better stereo, more room, no creaking, noises(not yet anyway). Seats look great, lots of extra creature comforts, more up market.

Performance- still only running in but even in sport mode you get the **** into seat acceleration. Not as manic as my 53 Sti but with less fuss. Sport# is very responsive, revs move up very quickly. As said im still running in so cant really compare on full chat.

Overall-
For me the move has been a no brainer so far. Dont get me wrong, thought long and hard about getting rid of the blobeye, loved everything about that car at that time. Was even cancelling the order at one point, but glad i didnt. The 08 STi ticks all the boxes for me, married man, two kids, wife who uses the car all week for the school run, shopping etc.. I am not a rally driver, just somebody who loves the subaru concept and I feel it has moved forward with this model, in a good way. All in my humble opinion of course
Just to add i am not trying to justify my purchase and am not a salesman!

Last edited by codie247; 27 April 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 27 April 2008, 04:03 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
I think the JDM version is different. Was in evo last month and wasted
a lambo in the wet. They called it just about the best handling wet road
car they had driven.
It was a UK car.

Originally Posted by DazW
Im still not convinced, seen 3 reviews in the last few days (EVO, Total Impreza & Performance Car) with PC giving it the best review, but in order of merit still place it behind a Golf GTi?
Current PC puts it ahead of the R32.

Given that EVO gave it 4 stars (versus 4.5 for the Lambo) and that in the same edition the "old" STi got 4 stars too, it strikes me as odd that some people on here seem to think it's worth about two.
Old 27 April 2008, 05:11 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

abc,
"It was a UK car."
Sorry I got that confused with the JDM evo X this month. But I do wonder how a jdm car would match up. And yes I agree
the new sti is better and has more potential (tuning) than most give it
credit for. JL
Old 27 April 2008, 05:28 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

The latest EVO mag rate it better than the new Evo as well, cant be that bad if most motoring ppl in the press rate it surely??

Mac
Old 27 April 2008, 06:53 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mac,
Which versions did evo compare? Was there any main reason they liked
the sti better? I hope it wasn't yet another 1 page wonder the mags seem
to like to do these days....
Old 27 April 2008, 09:27 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I don't think there is any doubting the dynamic abilities of the new STI. What annoys people is the complete re-hash of the styling which tries even the most die hard of Subaru fans. I mean why couldn't they style a car which was instantly likeable and unique? We have another scenario where people are waiting for the styling to 'grow' on them.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:32 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abc
Current PC puts it ahead of the R32.
But still behind a GTi ...& I guess that's indicitive how much the 'others' have caught up, 5-10 years ago no Golf, even the VR6 would've been even considered in the same league as an STi, WRX maybe but an STi, never

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
The latest EVO mag rate it better than the new Evo as well, cant be that bad if most motoring ppl in the press rate it surely??

Mac
But, they'd take an EVO IX over either of them
Old 28 April 2008, 09:42 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mac,
Which versions did evo compare? Was there any main reason they liked
the sti better? I hope it wasn't yet another 1 page wonder the mags seem
to like to do these days....
It was the new versions MY08 STi and Evo 10, was a good review on both fast A and B roads and track, evo shaded it on track but overall the STi got the vote.

But as someone pointed out they rate the Evo 9 beter than both.

Mac
Old 28 April 2008, 12:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by finalzero
Lol Alcazar, don't temp me

No I was hoping to put my money on the 08 STi as in many other area's it ticks the right boxes namely child safety, leg room and boot space which is not too bad. But I just didn't feel like I got on with the car.

Other test drives to do:

Newage Legacy GTB (almost standard in WR Blue bar a few choice engine mods)
06/07 STi Forester (provided I can find one, hoping for white but will go with WR Blue as 2nd choice)
Subaru Tribecasaurus - yeah it's an odd one but when I had a go of one in Warrick Prodrive day I was amazed at the bloody interior spec, as good as an S Class merc!
View My Scoob. Legacy WR Ltd.

Many parts are carried over from the JDM Legacy, air box, plastic intake manifold, suspension area, driver info system, Si-Drive and some switch gearblah blah. Much of which as been fitted for 4 years. The UK 2.5l obviously is not but the JDM 2.0l twin scroll is fitted to the Imports.

The Legacy is a real wolf. Being the JDM it's tweakable too
Old 28 April 2008, 02:00 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've read, hear and feel it's probably pretty good as a UK car and a lot better, as usual, in JDM format.
However, the look of the car is simply dreadful
Polish a turd and all that!
I've now seen enough on the forecourts and the street/carparks to honestly say I will not be parting with any cash for this model
The bugeye was an aquired taste, the blob was arguably better, the hawkeye was no improvement! This one is just plain unacceptable and will never hold a 'classic' status.
I've tried and better tried to love this unfortunate looking thing but it's horrid to the eye and I don't care if it can fly, I'm not buying it!
Old 28 April 2008, 02:40 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I see no reason why Subaru won't gain as many new customers to the 08 STI as they loose from 'classic' lovers. Although what new £25K car with 08 STI performance they will head for I'm not sure and will it be considered beautiful? No bad comments from anyone I've had a conversation who've seen mine but I'm sure none would every class this or any Subaru as an attractive car. Maybe as none are Subaru fans so they have no baggage to carry around about how amazingly styled the classics are...

Is it a perfect car, no but it fits the bill very nicely for me - just a slightly different audience for the car perhaps, when it's 10 years old and cheap as chips I'm sure there will be plenty of chav-tastic owners lining up to pimp them out. In todays santised world I'm thankful Subaru and Mitsi do at least still make affordable rally-inspired roads cars, not going to be long before they are all gone and we're all driving things powered by tractor juice or something else just as boring.

I also quite like the fact that it looks nothing like any other 10-a-penny Impreza I see on a regular basis, Subaru gets points from me for making my car quite unique from that perspective, I hate driving cars that I see plenty of during the weeks travel. Nice to be an individual.
Old 28 April 2008, 02:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Nothing like stereotyping classic owners with derogatory comments is there? It's lose and not loose BTW.

I for one won't be forking out £24k on a car that will lose heaps in depreciation within it's first year. Indeed, I would never buy another new car after aleady tasting the losses I made on a new Impreza once. If I was to fork out £24k then I'd get a nice used 996-993. Maybe this is just another worthless opinion of a classic owner with baggage though
Old 28 April 2008, 02:50 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky_strike
I see no reason why Subaru won't gain as many new customers to the 08 STI as they loose from 'classic' lovers. Although what new £25K car with 08 STI performance they will head for I'm not sure and will it be considered beautiful? No bad comments from anyone I've had a conversation who've seen mine but I'm sure none would every class this or any Subaru as an attractive car. Maybe as none are Subaru fans so they have no baggage to carry around about how amazingly styled the classics are...

Is it a perfect car, no but it fits the bill very nicely for me - just a slightly different audience for the car perhaps, when it's 10 years old and cheap as chips I'm sure there will be plenty of chav-tastic owners lining up to pimp them out. In todays santised world I'm thankful Subaru and Mitsi do at least still make affordable rally-inspired roads cars, not going to be long before they are all gone and we're all driving things powered by tractor juice or something else just as boring.

I also quite like the fact that it looks nothing like any other 10-a-penny Impreza I see on a regular basis, Subaru gets points from me for making my car quite unique from that perspective, I hate driving cars that I see plenty of during the weeks travel. Nice to be an individual.

Nail - Head - Hit!

Totally agree!
Old 28 April 2008, 03:01 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the correction, if we are being picky "...it's first year..." might be better as its? But anyway I wasn't aware this was an Engllish lession

I'm not having a go as such, just seems to me that there are as many people who have a go at the new 08 as have a go at the classic so who is stereotyping? We are all at the mercy of another flavour if Impreza owner. My point was that no Impreza - classic, new age or new new age (what do I call the 08, polite answers please), is ever going to or has ever won any style awards that I know of. I'm just wound up about the new car haters, why don't people love my new car, I need validation on my purchase

It still surprises me the scathing and breadth of opinion a car from a manufacturer we all have invested in can bring.

Sorry, off topic now. It was a good review of a test drive btw. Thanks.

And I do agree about new cars and depreciation (especially high CO2, high mpg 4wd cars from Subaru) but I love new cars so I have to live with the £££.

Last edited by lucky_strike; 28 April 2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added content
Old 28 April 2008, 03:03 PM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Which dealer did you get the longterm drive from?, i've been ringing round and only getting the standard 20min with the sale man
Old 28 April 2008, 04:40 PM
MadMedic
Scooby Newbie

Hey there , got 2000+Miles on My08 Sti now. There is nothing wrong with the understeering . I am talking about going through a Corner with 100MpH+ if some would like the Rear to get loose or step out they are talking BS sorry.

It may look cool on an Airfield or Racetrack but I doubt it will get you round the Corner any faster. In the real World ,the understeering will allow you to corner it faster if you know how to hold a proper Line not goining into the Corner anywere trying to produce as much Noise and Tireslip as possible like an Idiot.

Talking about ,the soo Baad electronical Gimmicks ,Heelloo its fkg 2008!
Show me one professional Race Driver that would talk BS about New Technology in his Car wich helps him to win the Race.

Some of the Haters schould take a good look into the Pit of an WRC Car ,Jeez
a Learjet has less Buttons and Switches.

And for the "weeah,weeah its to soft Fraction" its an japanese Car , know how a proper Katana should be like?

Dont take this Post to serious , Peace
Old 28 April 2008, 05:07 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

THanks Mac,

"as someone pointed out they rate the Evo 9 beter than both."

Funny I think they originally liked the Spec C better than the evo 9? Or was that the evo 8? Hard to keep up.

Boy thats not a great way to start losing out to the previous gen car. I bet theres a lot more rubber bushes in these new gen cars for NVH. I really hope these cars will be modded right going forward. JL
Old 28 April 2008, 08:12 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

THanks Mac,

"as someone pointed out they rate the Evo 9 beter than both."

Funny I think they originally liked the Spec C better than the evo 9? Or was that the evo 8? Hard to keep up.

Boy thats not a great way to start losing out to the previous gen car. I bet theres a lot more rubber bushes in these new gen cars for NVH. I really hope these cars will be modded right going forward. JL
I know mate, seem to change their mind a lot, i have all the issues upstairs but dont want to start trawling through them bud, i had a Spec C before and it was some car.

Good mag this month, not got any tests/videos online yet as i checked this morning, hopefully they will put up a vid of the 2 cars.

Mac
Old 30 April 2008, 02:30 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I will be taking another proper test drive in the future or at least have a go in a PPP model (and when the prices have dropped) as I am not looking to make a new purchase until next year (if things workout I might use the RA as a weekend/track tool).

Blue Dragoon the GTB looks perfect, I am very tempted now

Yeah the new scoob is an odd one, I am sure someone will find the right styling to bring out the car a bit more however the design is a bit hit/miss. Personally I like it, being so different it does appeal to me and I can see why many would buy one simply to blend in a bit more.

However the 08 does make one shape more appealing now, the Hawkeye so always an option

Quick Reply: Just finished a long test drive of the 08 STi...