Sponsored by:

windscreen claim?????

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 08:18 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question windscreen claim?????

need my screen replacing on my sti and was on the phone with autoglass, i told them i wanted genuine subaru glass. they then told me they don't have genuine subaru glass because they don't use it. i told them to order some in which they replied we'll have to phone axa (my insurance company) to see if they'll allow it.
what i want to know is autoglass trying it on and what is my insurance companys answer likely to be.
thanks for any help Aaron
Old 23 April 2008, 09:59 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

My Wifelet's Forester, same story.

They replaced the glass heated windscreen etc, NOT A SUBARU one!

Still does the same stuff though.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 23 April 2008, 10:59 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

wots the difference between scoob glass and everyday glass that auto use????

does it make that much difference????
Old 24 April 2008, 12:31 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scatty
wots the difference between scoob glass and everyday glass that auto use????

does it make that much difference????
Exactly, glass is glass and as long as it's properly fitted by an insurance approved company, then so what?
Old 24 April 2008, 12:41 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

I insisted mine was replaced by RAC windscreens with a genuine Subaru screen. I'm not sure it was a great move, as I picked up yet another bad chip around a month later that's right down in the corner. I'm of the thinking that the genuine screens aren't that tough any more....
Old 24 April 2008, 12:44 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi_Si
Exactly, glass is glass and as long as it's properly fitted by an insurance approved company, then so what?
I don't think it's as simple as that. Some of the windscreen companies make their own glass or use cheaply made stuff to save costs. The glass may not withstand as much force from projectiles or have any/much UV protection/tint, etc. If they are using Pilkington though, then that would be fine. I would just ask who makes the galss that they will be using. I think the Subaru glass is made in Japan and I asked for that when mine was done. I still just paid the normal excess. It may cost a little more than their own brand but I would hope you insurance company don't argue as at the end of the day you are only getting it put back to how it was - not an enhancement!

Stick to your guns and ask for Subaru glass is my advice.
Old 24 April 2008, 12:47 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
I insisted mine was replaced by RAC windscreens with a genuine Subaru screen. I'm not sure it was a great move, as I picked up yet another bad chip around a month later that's right down in the corner. I'm of the thinking that the genuine screens aren't that tough any more....
Surely it depends on the size/weight of the projectile that hits the screen?? You may just be unlucky. I have had many things hit my screen (some with some serious noise accompaniment) since replaced 9months ago and no battle scars to mention.

Although I would be happy with Pilkington (or other top manufacturer), I would still hold out for the Subaru branded screen.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2008, 12:49 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

As I'm on a run I may as well remind you (and everyone else) - make sure you stand over them while they do the job!! Check that they cover the car and mask it up properly so as to (hopefully) avoid damage. We all know Subaru paint scratches if you look at it the wrong way.
Old 24 April 2008, 01:44 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drift_King
As I'm on a run I may as well remind you (and everyone else) - make sure you stand over them while they do the job!! Check that they cover the car and mask it up properly so as to (hopefully) avoid damage. We all know Subaru paint scratches if you look at it the wrong way.
Good advice.

I think mine will need doing soon so I will be like a Pittbull at their ankles if they step out of line.
Old 24 April 2008, 01:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tell them you want dealer supplied glass, they HAVE to then give you that glass.
Had this problem before, guy at rac windscreens told me how to get around it

Tony
Old 24 April 2008, 02:12 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post7567551

I'd heard stories about RAC windscreens having a ripple distortion when viewed from an oblique angle..!

By all accounts Autoglass can supply OEM/dealer glass as already said. Although if they use Pilkington glass and so long as the vin slot is visible then that would be a good alternative.

This aside, the main thing is that you get a top job. If that means going to their fitting depot then so be it..!

Go over the car with them before they touch it, take photo's before hand so you can compare the gaps etc before the bonding goes off (ie too late..!).

Stand watching, without getting in the way or making yourself a PITA, just let them know you're a fussy git..

Lol, one of the guys cut the Subaru logo's out of my windscreen packaging to stick on the van of another fitter who's a scooby fan..

Just be careful on the way home, the place I used is next too a cement works and there were loads of cement trucks on the roads with nice round stones lodged in their tyres..!
Old 24 April 2008, 02:24 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

RAC Windscreens fitted OEM screen on mine with no questions asked. Did a great job too, even came with the black sunscreen above the rear view mirror as fitted to the newer cars.
Old 24 April 2008, 03:43 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi_Si
I'm afraid that aftermarket windscreens are usually different to OE ones, typical differences would be.

1. Different screen tint to OE

2. No clear window at the bottom of screen to see VIN No

3. If your car has a heavy tint at the top to act as a sun strip, an aftermatket one may not have not have it or it could be a diffent colour.

Phil
Old 24 April 2008, 04:12 PM
Hanky
Scooby Newbie

I had my 2006 STi windscreen replaced last week and received the same response from Autoglass re. OEM, and in the end due to time went for their suggested one.

It is a Pilkington screen with VIN and the cutout for the mirror, tint seems identical and tbh in use seems identical, albeit it needs the chassis number etching on it. It apparently has a longer warranty than the Subaru one in terms of manufacturing defects.

Autoglass did a good job, they ordered 2 screens in to make sure they had the right fit for my STi, and extra clips.

Currently, fingers crossed, there seems to be less rattles from that area than before!
Old 24 April 2008, 07:37 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your replys guys
Old 24 April 2008, 08:07 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
need my screen replacing on my sti and was on the phone with autoglass, i told them i wanted genuine subaru glass. they then told me they don't have genuine subaru glass because they don't use it. i told them to order some in which they replied we'll have to phone axa (my insurance company) to see if they'll allow it.
what i want to know is autoglass trying it on and what is my insurance companys answer likely to be.
thanks for any help Aaron
I did the same, told me they'd order it...low and behold, turned up...no FVCKING proper subaru windscreen, he got all smartar$e about it saying Id ahve to wait 2 weeks as they were booked up, I needed car and didn't fancy driving around with a nice 20 inch crack in it....so I had theirs fitted, not too bothered, but their a lieing set of ****'s
Old 24 April 2008, 08:35 PM
wazo'swrx
Scooby Regular

Will reply to this later ...
Old 25 April 2008, 07:42 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Autoglass ordered a new screen for my 2003 car. I'd read all about own screens not having the VIN slot in them. I asked to see the screen before they fitted it to doublecheck it had the slot in it. Good job I did.....the screen they had was for a Classic not a 2003 car. They then had to order a screen through a Scooby dealer as they couldn't get one they make. My car also had the black net bit around the mirror area which it didn't have originally. I also gained a couple of black small window sealant on my bonnet which won't come off.