Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the STi Tracker Thatcham Approved...Maybe not...

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 03:48 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Is the STi Tracker Thatcham Approved...Maybe not...

Hi All,
Thought some people may be interested in a email conversation i've been having with TrafficMaster regarding my renewal of the TrackStar Plus tracking on my 06 STi (Spec D).

It all started because the options screen on the TrafficMaster site lists my current subscription as "TrackStar Plus", but the renewal called it just "Tracking".

When I've been questioning why the renewal has a different name they have said that the tracker fitted to the car is *NOT* Thatcham approved - hence why the renewal is called Tracking rather than TrackStar Plus. So ... if your insurance requires a Thatcham Approved tracker and you have one of these then you may not be covered....

I'm unsure whether all of this model year (dont know about others either) are in the same boat, or just those with the SmartNav unit as fitted to the Spec.Ds - although my conversation with Subaru technical would make me believe that it is all cars. The difference seems to be having a battery and alternate aeriel fitted rather than having anything to do with the SatNav screen.

Anyway, this is not what I expected as I believed when I bought the car that it was all approved etc. Luckily for me I've confirmed that my current insurance does not have this has a requirement. Even so I'm going to check the brochures etc when I get home to see if it said whether it was approved or not.

You all probably knew this already and .. as usual .. i'm jsut behind the times!

Nick
Old 23 April 2008, 06:30 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They are all relatively expensive and unsecure systems.IMHO

I like to see what percentage of Stolen Subaru's and EVO's that have Tracking devices, that are recovered form using the Device and how many have "Lost" signal

In the years I've had Scoobies, out of 10 Subaru's stolen with Tracking devices, I only know one that was Hi-Jacked, recovered through the use of the device. the others all had "Lost Signal "

Tony
Old 23 April 2008, 06:48 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for that vote of confidence...lol...another £130 subscription down the drain....
Old 23 April 2008, 06:49 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Oops - and I've just renewed Tracker on my Smartnav just this week.

I've just read through the Thatcham and smartnav/trafficmaster/Trackstar sites and got horribly confused.

Smartnav was in the old Q class, but this class was removed on 1/1/7 although Smartnav are still advertising the fact.
The Q list was replaced by the TQA list on which the Trackstar TM100 is listed, formerly known as Trackstar Plus.
It appears that the Q and TQA product lists are not "approved" devices, but are recognised by "leading" insurers. Which insurers those are isn't mentioned and may not be your particular one.

The only Trackstar device with full approval is Trackstar 5. It has some sort of driver recognition device, so that even if your keys are stolen, it is meant to alert the police.

To add to the confusion, the Spec D and STi brochures mention that they both have RAC Trackstar. Which model isn't mentioned, but I presume it is the TM100.

I think it comes down to checking with your insurers and making sure that they are given the details as far as you know.

BTW, I only kept the tracker part of Smartnav as I didn't really rate the satnav/speed warning part very highly and it cost another £200 per year to renew
Old 23 April 2008, 07:09 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
They are all relatively expensive and unsecure systems.IMHO

I like to see what percentage of Stolen Subaru's and EVO's that have Tracking devices, that are recovered form using the Device and how many have "Lost" signal

In the years I've had Scoobies, out of 10 Subaru's stolen with Tracking devices, I only know one that was Hi-Jacked, recovered through the use of the device. the others all had "Lost Signal "

Tony
got mine back using the tracker when it was stolen
Old 23 April 2008, 10:31 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
got mine back using the tracker when it was stolen
Thats very good

As said 9 that were nicked from scooby friends and around my area were not recovered through thier tracking Devices. The tracking devices were usually disposed of and found at the scene or close by Although some were retrieve by standard policing measures

Only one I know was found through tracking Device was My mates from Brum. He was Hi-Jacked and had his wrist broken when thrown from car ar speed using the Tracking device the Chap was caught getting 5 years in Jail And in this situtation it does have value.

Sadly for less than your monthly Subs, a totally legal Electronic device can be bought completely Blinds the communications/feedback back to headquarters = "Signal Lost"

This allows time for the Aerial connection/sim or main unit to be found tracking Device has now become a chocolate fire Guard

IMHO IIRC AFFAICR

Tony
Old 23 April 2008, 10:37 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Butty
Oops - and I've just renewed Tracker on my Smartnav just this week.

I've just read through the Thatcham and smartnav/trafficmaster/Trackstar sites and got horribly confused.

Smartnav was in the old Q class, but this class was removed on 1/1/7 although Smartnav are still advertising the fact.
The Q list was replaced by the TQA list on which the Trackstar TM100 is listed, formerly known as Trackstar Plus.
It appears that the Q and TQA product lists are not "approved" devices, but are recognised by "leading" insurers. Which insurers those are isn't mentioned and may not be your particular one.

The only Trackstar device with full approval is Trackstar 5. It has some sort of driver recognition device, so that even if your keys are stolen, it is meant to alert the police.

To add to the confusion, the Spec D and STi brochures mention that they both have RAC Trackstar. Which model isn't mentioned, but I presume it is the TM100.

I think it comes down to checking with your insurers and making sure that they are given the details as far as you know.

BTW, I only kept the tracker part of Smartnav as I didn't really rate the satnav/speed warning part very highly and it cost another £200 per year to renew

Shhh, mines still working and the car is 2 years old now Never paid a penny

Trending Topics

Old 23 April 2008, 10:43 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Some insurances now don't require or even discount for Tracking devices. I wonder why that is??? More to do with Nicks Post or just they cannot see the Value in them??

So not a big fan, considering the buying/installation cost and then yearly Subscription. Also these that can never be transfered .

Life time subs is as long as you stop with the same Car, good if you keep the car 10 years very bad if 4 months for whatever reason .

The Subs must be for the Car!!

So you try to pass account on to new owner of your Car = NO Sorry pay Subs again

So Subs are not for the Car, must be for the Device!!

So you Tranfer your unit to your next Car = NO Sorry pay Subs again

So Subs are not for the Car or the Device , must be for the Person !!

You buy another car with device and try transfer your account to that device = NO pay Subs again

Represents VERY poor Value for money IMHO

IMHO IIRC AFFAICR

Tony
Old 24 April 2008, 08:11 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I must admit I've not bothered subscribing to the tracker on my current Scoob. I did on my previous one, but my insurance now does not offer any discount, nor does it require a tracker to be fitted. I'm sure I might regret it if the car were ever to be stolen, but it's quite expensive for something that seems to be not terribly reliable and rather easy to remove/block. One would think that something better would have come along by now...
Old 24 April 2008, 08:57 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
[/b]

Shhh, mines still working and the car is 2 years old now Never paid a penny
Funny you mention that.
I'll PM you

nick