Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01 + PPP - comments on performance

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 10:44 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my MY01 with PPP for a couple of months now and have some thoughts and a question regarding the performance...

Going off the graphs in the UK300 literature, it seems that peak torque arrives early (3000rpm) then tails off rapidly. This is borne out in practice - going through the gears with the upshift at around 4000rpm seems more or less as accelerative as redlining it in every gear.

In straight off-the-line dashes this is fine. However, I'm struggling with in-gear performance as compared to my MY99. The tail-off beyond 3000rpm seems too rapid, with a definite flat-spot (or even dip) somewhere around the 4000rpm mark. This leaves a much narrower torque band than I am used to, diminishing the in-gear flexibility that was a trademark of the old car. In this way I think the PPP exaggerates rather than overcomes the relatively high inertia of the heavier car.

I think it's optimistic to believe this will improve much with more miles on the clock. I'm interested to hear if there's a performance mod (warranty-preserving preferably) that would extend the torque band so that off-the-line acceleration is combined with in-gear flexibility...

Gareth
Old 28 January 2002, 10:52 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

If you want to keep the PPP ECU, a full decat exhaust system is required (at the expense of your warranty).
Old 28 January 2002, 11:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Seems strange?

My MY01 with PPP seems to go absolutely mental at 4000rpm and pulls like crazy all the way to the limiter.

The trouble is that the fuel gauge goes down almost as fast as the tach goes up

mb
Old 29 January 2002, 08:47 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Question

How many miles on your clocks? Since fitting PPP to my UK300 the performance was increased enough to give a grin, but I wounldn't say it goes mental at 4000rpm>..
Old 29 January 2002, 10:22 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate - cant be the same PPP! Mines loads better - pulls and pulls to the red line - ok power dribbles off at 6000rpm - but its much much stronger than the std WRX.

I was speeking to Graham at TSL - he said about 50% of PPP MY01 owners thought there cars were pants and he said to drive them you couldnt notice much of a difference. he thought it may be down to the dealer not applying the correct map in some cases!!

Have a look at the rolling road figures:

http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/uk/jason_merritt.htm

Theres massive stonk

Its also worth then looking at Pete Croneys torque curve on his MY01 with full exhaust on the same site - your getting (approx) 80 lbs more with a PPP at 2000 revs, 65 more at 2500, 85 at 3000 and so on.

If your car feels slow - take it back to the dealers and play hell!!

Jza
Old 29 January 2002, 10:28 AM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

I agree with Boomer and Jza. I have a UK300 with PPP it really starts to pull at around 3000/3500 and still is going right up to the redline but does tail off (only a bit) after 6500. It should like you should get yours checked (did you get a PPP certificate??).
Old 29 January 2002, 10:52 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Smile

My UK300 is the same as the Dr's! Noticed quite a difference after PPP fitted.
Old 29 January 2002, 12:15 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Red face

Speak to your dealer, when my PPP was fitted last August i was unhappy with the performance. They tried an ECU from another PPP and there was a marked difference, the dealer then had to get me a new ECU which has helped but i am still not as impressed as other seem to be at the difference.
Recently i posted about how my boost has gone down with the PPP, has anyone else noticed the same.
The only way to really prove there is a problem would be to get several PPP cars to do consecutive Power runs, anyone interested? either at Power Engineering or Powerstation.

simon
Old 29 January 2002, 12:40 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gareth, considering getting mine done, where did you have yours fitted ?I thought it was a replacement ecu and did not require any mapping work done by the dealer.
Sandman.
Old 29 January 2002, 12:40 PM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Seamus/Dr -

Do you recommend fitting a PPP as I also have a UK300 and at the moment I reckon the performance is pretty crap, and £1600's worth of wonga seems a lot if I aint going to notice a difference.

Just now I don't have a smile on my face but a frown - wondering if I have made a mistake buying a MY01.

Who fitted your PPP?

TTFN
Dave
Old 29 January 2002, 12:45 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

DaveUK300.....Me too,what a dilema.To many variables at present.
Old 29 January 2002, 12:49 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

UK300 with PPP - goes great !! pulls from 3000 to red line !!

If you think your cars slow, this week im borrowing a celica 190 vvt thing and its as slow as an ox !!! piece of **** !!!

Old 29 January 2002, 01:58 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Id be up for a RR run.

It seems we dont get anywhere near the 261 lb/ft we are supposed to. Id like 10 other owners to go to subaru at the same time to sort this out !!!!

Jza
Old 29 January 2002, 02:03 PM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

Dave

I tried the standard WRX with or without PPP and then I ordered a UK300 with PPP (done by Quenby's). The PPP really made a difference throughout, and I liked it most for the effects between 2000 and 2500 as it avoided the need to keep changing down a gear to get the revs up to 3500 before the turbo really cuts in. The PPP means I can drive the car in a very relaxed way, good for round town or drive it like crazy - i.e. everything is easier. IMHO it is well worth it. The down side is that it needs SUL to get the best (Optimax not so good), which is ,more expensive and only sold by selected garages and not so great mpg Hope this helps.
Old 29 January 2002, 04:05 PM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Thanx for the opinions...looks like the PPP route is the way forward. Better start saving the readies then - and finding a garage nearby that sells SUL.

Just have to decide who will fit it.....Listers, Burts or Showells are nearest for me...anybody any experience with these garages and service offered

Dave
Old 29 January 2002, 04:07 PM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave

... and girls!!!!! Let us know what you think when you have had it done. Jen.
Old 29 January 2002, 04:08 PM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave,

I work in Hall Green in Birmingham (but I live miles away) so I'm not so far away from you. If you want to hook up some time and take it for a quick razz I'm sure you'll put your order in.

Sean.

Edited to say: By the way I run mine on Optimax and only Optimax (excepy Sunday on the way back from Leics when I had to stick NUL in it, yuk) and it goes great. If I stick SUL in due to no Optimax it definitely runs a lot more "lumpy".

[Edited by Seamus - 1/29/2002 4:14:22 PM]
Old 29 January 2002, 04:36 PM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Dr Lurve...

Sorry about that - consider me well and truly spanked and sat in the corner!

Seamus...

Thnx for the offer mate - will definately take you up on that offer, just have to decide now on the approach to the missus for the extra dosh.

Dave
Old 29 January 2002, 10:03 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments... the PPP was fitted from new and I've never driven an MY01 without PPP, so it's hard to compare. Also, the dealer that supplied my car has an excellent reputation (Robinsons) so I'm not about to go in with guns blazing unless I've got some really compelling evidence that something's not right.

Mind you, now it seems strange that they had a PPP just hanging around doing nothing when I placed my order - that's one for the conspiracy theorists...

I'm definitely in favour of a dyno run or something - never done anything like that before. Alternatively if there's anyone in the NW that loves their PPP perhaps we could meet up somewhere to compare pipework...?

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 30 January 2002, 09:20 AM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

Gareth

silly question.. are you using SUL??
Old 30 January 2002, 09:31 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Jen,

Optimax from new... was thinking of trying another brand of SUL to see if there's any difference.

Never actually noticed any difference in my old scoob when I switched from SUL to Optimax, but that's another debate altogether.

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 30 January 2002, 09:52 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i had a run in non PPP then had PPP fitted- better but no huge shakes and my mates car was done at the same time with same milage and it goes the same... so either we have two iffy cars or PPP is just not that quick? (by quick i guess it depends what you compare it to, i dont have much come by me but all the same its not "flippin heck!" quick.)

Tiggs

ps- pitty there isnt a step on from PPP that, within warrenty linits, will give more ooomph.
Old 30 January 2002, 11:13 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

PPP fitted to my UK300 after the 1k service (September last year and its smiles better in terms of performance, noise and fun factor, the revs keep coming and it does not tail off.

Spoke to the nice Mr. Wood at prodrive who gave some inclining
on what to expect, and I would say it did not disappoint.

Cheers

Jim
Old 30 January 2002, 03:58 PM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Nipped out during lunch down to Andrew Burt and had a blast in their WRX with PPP...have to say its a damn site more fun than my bog std UK300 and they say they are running on normal unleaded!

After today's little outing I will definately go for a PPP - even my mate who was following in his new STi commented on the fact that we weren't exactly hanging about - even with 3 people in the car.

Dave
Old 30 January 2002, 04:25 PM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

Smile

Gareth, I did notice a little difference with changing from regular use of Esso SUL and then a tank of Optimax, enough though to pay more for SUL (especially Esso). Sorry you dont seem to be getting the best out of your PPP, there must be a real proper reason and SUL v Optimax would not make that much difference.

Dave glad you enjoyed the trial PPP, - a lot easier to do everything eh??

Jen.
Old 30 January 2002, 04:58 PM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Jen,

Your right there...alot more relaxed - dare i say it lazy style of driving - much more in keeping with me. Makes a bloody lovely sound when the revs really come on aswell - roll on June!!!!!!

Dave
Old 31 January 2002, 01:13 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Just thought I'd add my findings. Got it fitted to my Bugeye at 4000 miles - BIG difference pulls cleaner right to the red line and sounds lovely to boot. I reckon that a few people on this will be suprised if the proposed rolling road day goes ahead! I'm on my third Impreza - MY95 WRX import, MY99 full scoobysport (LOUD)and I am genuinely very pleased with my latest(until the STI UK came out!)
Old 31 January 2002, 01:38 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

George the Rolling road day IS happening, on the 2nd March,
are you coming?

simon
Old 31 January 2002, 04:45 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Unhappy

PCB Sorry I won't be there I'm from Northern Ireland so it's a little far away!
Old 04 February 2002, 12:55 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

As an experiment I filled up with Esso SUL at the weekend instead of the normal Optimax. Does seem slightly stronger and smoother than before.

I'm relying on my own subjective judgement here but I remember doing the same thing in reverse with my MY99 when Optimax came out and judging that there was no change either way.

Could it be that the PPP is optimised for UK 97 RON fuel (like it says on the tin) and actually doesn't like Optimax?

By the way, with the "60p off your next purchase" vouchers they're giving out at the mo, Esso SUL is actually cheaper than Optimax as well.

Cheers,
Gareth