Sponsored by:

engine clean

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 10:34 PM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

is it safe to steam clean a impreza engine??
Old 28 January 2002, 11:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you'll hurt it, BUT you'll take off the protective wax finish that's on it, and then the corrosion will set in, I'd rather have a dirty engine than a corroded one.
It's up to you!
Ron
Old 28 January 2002, 11:13 PM
stuart12
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I wouldn't mind knowing this too. I actually asked the same question a few monthes ago (but search is still down) and basicly the response was don't do it. A few people said that they have done it with no problems though.
Just be aware that doing this can remove the protective film on the engine and obviously harm not sufficently weather proofed electrics. The garage will also not be liable for any problems.
Have not been brave enough to get the Scoob done yet. Had other cars done no problems.

Stuart
Old 29 January 2002, 12:04 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

dosn't the wax wizard do it? i remember reading a while abck he uses somethign that smelled like orange?

Old 29 January 2002, 12:15 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

leave the motor running whilst doing it - if it cuts out stop!
Old 29 January 2002, 12:29 AM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

i used gunk not so long ago, it took all the sh1te off and leaves a protective layer of wax on the engine when youre done.
costs about £5 from halfords, you just spray it all over then wash off with water (leave engine running BTW).
engine smelt funny for a few days but it did a bloody good job.

chris
Old 29 January 2002, 12:32 AM
funky_monk_flying
Scooby Regular

friend of mine steam cleaned his engine( bmw 735i 1 yr old) , cost him 1500 large for a new electronic ignition unit and lots of hassle , nice clean engine though. my advice don't bother.
Old 29 January 2002, 09:56 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I Jet wash mine when I wash the car, I dont have the engine running, but I dont spray directly on to the electronics, I also spray from underneath have done this on all my cars, touching wood no problems yet.

I dont use gunk type cleaners as I was told years ago they could dissolve gasketts if left on too long / not washed off.

Old 29 January 2002, 04:20 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Yes...it is possible to clean out the engine bay. The engine and engine bay which is covered in cosmoleen. This is a paraffin based wax.

The trouble with this is that each time the engine is run the wax softens and attracts dirt like nobodys business and after a few thousand miles it will become a black mess.

The manufacturer cover the engine for a reason I know not. Mercs, bimmers, audi, vw etc etc do not use any form of wax protection in or around the engine bay or indeed on the engines. So why should subaru.

To stop the engine from corrosion is in my mind a load of bunkum. Strip out an engine and place in the elements and it will be there decades after the bodyshell has rotted out.

The product that I use is dilimoleen based (made/derived from citrus rinds) and hence smells orangey. This will disolve the wax (provided the engine has been run up to normal operating temp) and is then powerwashed off (with pressure reduced to 500psi max) or with a strong jet of water.

The engine is then restarted and allowed to idle and I always them spray protector over everything. This is water based and once dry will make everything sparkling to better or as good as new.

If u need more advise either email me or call me on 07702 822544. Leave a message if I cant answer immediately and I will call you back.
Old 29 January 2002, 06:07 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I connected my pressure washer to the hot tap. Steamy pressure wash.
Old 29 January 2002, 06:52 PM
The Woodman
Scooby Regular

When I asked Subaru why the engine was covered in protective wax (and what its purpose was) they said it was to protect it against salt air while being shipped from Japan. I suppose that explains why VW, BMW etc don't - it's just a short hop over the Channel?