Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic STi's - How do you identify them?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2008, 06:27 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic STi's - How do you identify them?

Thanks to this and other forums, identifying an STi (classic) has become a lot easier.

I do find it frustrating though to see lots of cars advertised for sale as STi versions of when all they really are are badged up wrx's.

I know about the early versions being adapted wrx's and then the later ones being a parallel production car but is there a way of visually identifying them without engine codes?

Clear rear light cluster (indicator section)
Silver TMIC
Carbon strut brace (easily copied)

Of course the pink badges etc

Did all the early Sti's have the same features of clear rear lights, silver TMIC etc? I've seen an advertised STi car with normal rear lights, black TMIC but the right engine code? Right or wrong?

Any hints or tips more than welcome
Old 22 April 2008, 06:32 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

chassis code is a giveaway
Old 22 April 2008, 08:05 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
chassis code is a giveaway
Agree with that, but rather then email every bugger on Ebay selling one, I was wondering if there were tell tale signs from the usual engine/body pictures posted with the advert?

It would be nice if there was some sort of 'visual filter' prior to emailing?
Old 22 April 2008, 08:13 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Most of the easy to spot bits can be copied or changed to look like a STI so you really have to check the chassis number to make sure.
If I was selling one I wouldn't mind giving it out to potential buyers.

Main things to quickly look for are red top manifold on the later STI's, Alloy intercooler, higher red line on rev counter, Carbon STI clock trim, Pink badges, rear light clusters, steering wheel and STI seats.
Old 22 April 2008, 08:18 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

way too many copies and the steering wheels and trim etc could have all been changed from wrx to sti... so only real way to be sure is call the sellar and ask for the chassis number.

end of the day if it looks like a copy.. then leave it

if it looks and sounds real then double check...
Old 22 April 2008, 08:19 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Exactly, what I really was trying to say was, did they make STi's (any classic age) with standard rear lights/standard all black intercoolers?

They are very easy to badge up, but I'm posotive there are a few people out there that genuinely have no idea. In fact I know there are as I went to view a car that was clearly a wrx but advertised as an STi (trader as well).

Nothing against wrx's by the way, it's the model I opted for for a number of reasons over the STi/RA versions.
Old 22 April 2008, 08:30 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Think the early V1 STI's didn't have the red top manifolds not sure about the lights.
If your looking at V3 onwards should have all of the STI bits on it.
If you are unsure of one put a link on here

Trending Topics

Old 22 April 2008, 08:36 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rbaz. I too thought all the later (ie MY95 on) had all the bits necessary. Probably explains why I never got an email back after questioning it.

Any other thoughts welcome though if for nothing more than making a good search result.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:09 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NUTTYNICK
Cheers Rbaz. I too thought all the later (ie MY95 on) had all the bits necessary. Probably explains why I never got an email back after questioning it.

Any other thoughts welcome though if for nothing more than making a good search result.
I would look for a V3 onwards (MY 97 like mine) has more power better trim and facelift front.
You have two options when looking for a car find a very good car with history and pay top dollar or take your time find a good one maybe not 100% history and take your chance. If you pay top money for one and it goes bang you will be very pi**ed off and skint but if you pay a lot less you have more money to play with.
That’s what I did, I got mine for an absolute bargain off EBay but it’s never had an engine rebuild or gearbox as far as I know. Lots of receipts so it’s been looked after and has a few mods but I would rather do the repairs myself when needed. Little things like spare bottle of Motul 15w 50 and a bottle of octane booster in the glove box all point towards it been looked after.
I would ask any seller about the oil and petrol that has been used if they say anything other than decent oil and super + fuel don’t go near it.
I would stay away from anything with big engine mods unless they have paperwork to prove its had a remap etc
Old 23 April 2008, 01:19 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

The red and clear rear lights did not become standard on STi models until the Version 3, and they should all have red manifolds from the Version 2 onwards (although on some of the earlier cars a lot of the paint may have flaked off!) They should all have IC spray too I think? My v2 has anyway, not sure if the v1 had it though.

All classic STi models from 1-6 should have an oval STi badge on the front wings, like this;

Hope that is a bit of help!
Old 23 April 2008, 02:00 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

My STI V3 doesn't have IC spray
But has ABS which is where the water tank goes I think.

Last edited by rbaz; 23 April 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 23 April 2008, 02:11 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
My STI V3 doesn't have IC spray
But has ABS which is where the water tank goes I think.
My v3 sti doesnt have IC spray either and has ABS.
I dont believe IC spray is meant to be standard on all sti's.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:03 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Nope its not, my V4 didnt have it either.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:06 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

IC water spray is only standard on the Type r and ra as they do not have abs, so there is space for the water spray bottle.

Banny
Old 23 April 2008, 03:23 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Hmm....strange, every other v2 I've seen besides mine has had IC spray too, mind you we don't have ABS! Trade-off between versions perhaps?
Old 23 April 2008, 03:28 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
IC water spray is only standard on the Type r and ra as they do not have abs, so there is space for the water spray bottle.

Banny
Next car will need to be a type r or ra then cos i dont even like ABS, would much rather the IC water spray.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:32 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Mine's a standard v2, not an RA, and I've got IC spray too....
Old 23 April 2008, 04:36 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

if you go onto wikipedia and search impreza sti, there is a history of sti's and it shows what versions come with what etcetc. its very helpful. if your not sure about the car, do a HPI check and this will show you what the car is and what it was registered as? you could also contact somebody like the DVLA i would have thought??
Old 23 April 2008, 04:42 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
if you go onto wikipedia and search impreza sti, there is a history of sti's and it shows what versions come with what etcetc. its very helpful. if your not sure about the car, do a HPI check and this will show you what the car is and what it was registered as? you could also contact somebody like the DVLA i would have thought??
Have seen some imprezas registered as GL's so chassis number the only real indicator.
Old 23 April 2008, 06:28 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

All good stuff there guys.

I'm not actually looking for a car at the moment, but like to keep up on things incase a bargain comes along. In looking for my current car, I viewed several that were advertised as STi's. Checked the model number to find it was a wrx, told the dealer who then said they are the same!!

I went for the wrx over sti for a few reasons but wondered if there were tell tale visual signs. I see lots of 'badged' cars but most seem to lack the small oval badge on the wing.

Mine currently has STI on the mudflaps, soon to come off so they are plain. I'm not really a fan of making a car out to be more than it's not, each to their own though.