Sponsored by:

Garage broke my splitter

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 09:43 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage broke my splitter

As above a local garage broke my front splitter when it was in to get other work done to it.
The garage have agreed to pay for a new splitter.
I purchased the splitter yesterday and just waiting for delivery.
Its a JUN splitter on a classic and this can only really be sourced in fibreglass, the original was fibreglass anyway.
There were 2 minor cracks on the splitter already which have been there for a while now and the garage owner was trying to make out that the splitter was already knackered so even tho they agreed to pay for new splitter it was not on the best of terms.(the 2 cracks would have been easily covered up but now the state it is in it cannot be cheaply fixed to look normal).

The splitter was caught coming off the ramps and it basically ripped in half and the corner cracked into bits. They fibreglassed the corner together and siliconed the broken off half onto the bumper and added a couple of screws.
Its also now slightly squint from the other side

Now are garages allowed to use silicone and put screws through your bumper without the owners consent? If he starts grudging the money can I bring this point up that he damaged my bumper with the screws without my permission?
Just wanting a bit of advice in case he starts coming it when i get the splitter and want the money.

Anybody else experienced this with a garage.
Old 17 April 2008, 09:49 AM
RB#5183
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like he's made the best out of a bad situation, Made a temp repair so it doesnt look too bad until you can get the bew splitter,
I'm sure, if you accidently hit another car on the road and the panel you hit was already damged, then you wouldnt want to pay the full cost?

My advice is to be as pleasant as possible. Ok, he's damaged your car and promised to pay, if it gets nasty, you could lose out,
Good luck
Old 17 April 2008, 09:56 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

yea i dont want it to turn nasty and i dont want to have an argument with them. Before getting subarus i used to go there with any car probs and have given them a lot of business over the years.

Worst case scenario I will just say "dont bill me for the hour or 2 work you did for what it was booked in for and I'll just pay for the splitter".

Also they werent paying for spraying of fitting, thats my part in it since it wasnt in perfect condition anyway, its not like their paying for everything to be sorted with it.
Old 17 April 2008, 10:28 AM
RB#5183
Scooby Regular

I'm sure in that case then, there wont be any hassle, he will want to keep your businesss and I'm sure as you have been taking your cars there for some time you trust his workmanship?
I understand its a pain as it happened to me before, but sometimes you gotto say, " these things happen" and move on,
As for the silicone on the splitter, aslong as he hasnt created more work for the next person who has to fit the new splitter, it shoudnt be a problem, If he has started drilling holes half way up the bumper to secure it you have to question his methods,
once again mate, good luck
Old 17 April 2008, 10:39 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

It'll be me fitting the new splitter when it comes. Not sure if i'll manage the spraying myself tho.
Silicone should come off ok, think a hairdryer will help get it off if theres any probs.
Cheers for your second opinion
Old 17 April 2008, 11:09 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

they should pay for the fitting and spraying imho!!
regarding the condition of the splitter before the damage has no bearing on the "faults" of the garage
as even if it was new it will still be damage after the incident
Old 17 April 2008, 11:36 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
they should pay for the fitting and spraying imho!!
regarding the condition of the splitter before the damage has no bearing on the "faults" of the garage
as even if it was new it will still be damage after the incident
Yea thats what i think too but after them doing this i feel i can no longer trust this garage to touch my car again. paying for the new splitter will do and i just aint going back to them. Its their attitude that they wont take responsibilty for badly damaging it that gets me. I'll just see what happens when i see about getting the money for it.
Old 17 April 2008, 02:10 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

They "should" have traders insurance , so if no skin of their back
Old 17 April 2008, 03:21 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

A garage broke the splitter on my car. I heard the crack when it was going on, then pointed it out. They were very good and offered to get it repaired etc.

I took it away as the painter dude was busy. Forgot all about it for 6m then it a speed bump myself, cracking it much worse than they did. So i'm just gonna pay for the fix.
Old 17 April 2008, 06:17 PM
RB#5183
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
They "should" have traders insurance , so if no skin of their back
have you seen the excess on a traders policy?
I have been on both sides of the op's situation so can understand what both parties are dealing with,
The OP has been very reasonable, and these days, you get nowhere shouting your head off,
Everyone makes mistakes
Old 17 April 2008, 07:30 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB#5183
have you seen the excess on a traders policy?
I have been on both sides of the op's situation so can understand what both parties are dealing with,
The OP has been very reasonable, and these days, you get nowhere shouting your head off,
Everyone makes mistakes
yes they do ....it how it is dealt with afterwards that seperate the "men" from the boys
in my profession we would replace no question ask even if the customer never mention it at all until the customer is "satisflied"

Also to add that whats the Traders insurance is there for !!

Last edited by bighead; 17 April 2008 at 07:32 PM.