Sponsored by:

Hawkeye WRX owners; advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2008, 03:01 AM
len77ard
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye WRX owners; advice needed

Hi people, I'm new to the site, and although I currently do not have a Scoob (driving a DC2), I am looking to trade my Type-R in for a Hawkeye WRX.

First question is, it seems that the UK market has been flooded with cheaper Euro-Imports, courtesy of the many carsupermarkets.
What I want to know is how can I tell if the model I am looking at is UK or Euro? Distinguishing features, if any?

I say this because my friend thought he was buying a UK Blobeye because the dealer said so, but after purchase, realised it was in fact a Euro-import.

I know Euro ones are cheaper, but are the specs identical to UK versions and are there any disadvantages to owning Euro? For example, do they still have that infamous rumble?
I wouldn't mind owning a Euro import...if the spec was exactly same as UK and I was paying the RIGHT price for it.

Finally, anything to look out for when buying the car, ie. known problems/faults etc.

Thanks.
Old 13 April 2008, 03:12 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

EU cars don't come with the UK OE spec Sigma S30 alarm/immobilisor or locking wheel nuts. International Motors will uphold the warranty in a tri-party agreement with the supplying dealer in the EU, whereby any warranty work required is performed by any UK franchised Subaru UK dealer once payment has been authorized by the EU warranty supplier. I think The EU cars used to have a different servicing regime which must be upheld if the warranty is to remain intact too. They usually object to any modifications, so even a UK approved Prodrive Performance Pack can invalidate the warranty with the European company. Apart from that, they are identical AFAIK. I'd advise stepping over the WRX and aiming for an STi. A slightly used UK one will be hit extremely hard by depreciation right now, and sellers are struggling to find buyers following the recent fuel price rises and tax changes. Low mile 06/07 Type UK STi (hawkeye's) can be had for £16k or so, a mate of mine bought one complete with PPP for £16.5k last year with 6k miles at 4 months old, and that was before the latest assault on performance car ownership.
Old 13 April 2008, 07:02 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

EU Imports like mine will have a White service book - that's a giveaway.
As far as I know genuine UK cars have Blue service books.

Apart from the alarm (which was fitted at the dock side rather than the factory) you wouldn't be able to spot any difference between mine and a uk car of the same year.
Old 13 April 2008, 07:11 AM
slipperyeel
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a mate of mine that used to work in a car supermarket .. he said just ask where it was first registered as many of them will have been registered in Malta etc ...

As for problems .. had none with mine as yet ..

Regards

Malc