Sponsored by:

4 for the price of 1 - Interesting Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 08:35 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

4 for the price of 1 (threads that is!!!)
A few points/issues that arose from the weekend

1. Motorway consumption?
First time I've really taken note of my consumption whilst on trips up to Newcastle from Essex, but 19mpg?? Is this normal for fast but uninterupted cruising speeds? Some comparisons would be nice.

2. 'Super' Unleaded rip off
Left for above journey assuming nearly full tank of Optimax, ooops perhaps not. Entered 4 petrol stations in a row, none stocking 'super'. Ended up having to double back and go to an Esso. 'Super' price was 81.9p!!!! 12p more than there 'normal' price which must have been one of the lowest 'normal' prices in the area. For me this smacked of profiteering, taking advantage of the lack of 'super' stocking rivals locally. Stopped on the A1 for Optimax later which was 75.9p , just 5p more than 'normal' Shell. Strange how 'super/optimax' is less expensive incomparison when its available just up the road!!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

3. Why do they do it?
At above mentioned Esso, young thirty something male leaves shop and gets into bright yellow Cerbera, (gorgeous car) looks at 'tarted up' Scoob and starts up his monster. Lots of noise follows, as if to prove I'm not the only one with a noisy car. 'Fair enough' I think, but then our friend proceeds to pull onto main road and absolutely floor it in horribly wet conditions!!! The inevitable ensues, and he fish tails down the road for 50 yards, more than once pointing at the kerb or centre barriers!!!! Keeping it on the road was obviously down to luck rather than skill, and the van driver at the pump opposite to me and I just looked at each other and telepathically said the words 'What a jub!' to each other. Why did he feel the need to do it? I know he's got a fantastic car, I know it sounds great when he floors it but I didn't need a demo of how it doesn't react well to power, cos I knew that already too!

4. New road laws.
2 new road laws have obviously been passed recently which I obviously missed, so in case you missed them, a quick recap....
1. Motorbikes are now allowed to scream along city streets at 80mph. Even if the limit is normally 30mph , bikes are now exempt and can go full throttle as long as they beep their horns at anyone crossing the road further down!!!!
2. Apparently when turning right at major or small roundabouts it is critical that you use the left hand lane and cut accross everyone without indicating
Hope you find those useful!!!

Discuss