Sponsored by:

advise needed police and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2008, 07:33 PM
WRXSTIUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise needed police and insurance

Hi- I have recently bought a golf tdi and transfered the insurance from my Impreza to my golf.

My question is... I have fully comp insurance which lets you drive another car 3rd party. Can I legally drive the impreza 3rd party if it is tax. The impreza won't be listed on any insurance data base so i guess i risk being pulled up by the police with their new camera detection systems. If the car was not legally mine then can I legally drive the car. E.g "sold the car to my brother the paper works in the post" so it not legally mine.

Just in a difficult position for test drives as I am selling my car.

cheers
Old 11 April 2008, 07:45 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

so long as the car is not registered to you and it is not on hp then you can drive it 3rd party with the owners consent so long as you are fully comp with your policy.
but i think the impreza will still need to be insured to someone for you to be covered 3rd party.
try posting in insurance section moley wrx will be able to give you a definate answer
Old 11 April 2008, 09:04 PM
C17LME
Scooby Regular

You can only drive your impreza throught your policy if it is insured by either you or some one else, but the impreza needs to be insured in order for you to drive it though 3rd party policy.

Or some company lets you add another car on your policy depends which insurer your with.Hope that helps you.
Old 11 April 2008, 09:45 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

When I got banned years ago, I had to leave my car out on the road when trying to sell it. The first thing I did when I got home from court was cancel the insurance.
It took me a while to sell it and as I couldnt drive it, the birds sh@t on it, the tyres went flat etc, and it drew the attention of the police.
They knocked on the door and asked for my documents. The car was MOTd and taxed but I told them it wasnt insured as I was banned and was told the car still had to be insured to sit on the public highway.
I honestly wasnt aware of this and was promptly charged with no insurance.

The police told me to get it off the road immediately and when I asked them how I was supposed to do this without it costing me a forture for a tow truck or paying insurance for another driver. they told me ANY driver with fully comprehensive insurance could legally drive the vehicle third party only even if the vehicle isnt insured elsewhere.

I then asked him if I bought a Fiat Panda and an Impreza Turbo when I got my lisense back and insure the Fiat fully comp could I drive the Impreza legally, I was told this was possible as long as the Impreza wasnt registered to me.

Needless to say, I bought an Impreza................................but insured it in my name.

If I were you I'd go to my local police station and ask them where you stand but going my the info I was told, you should be legal
Old 11 April 2008, 09:54 PM
WRX616
Scooby Regular

The car still has to be insured by someone else for you to drive it 3rd party on your insurance.
Old 11 April 2008, 10:32 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

And be registered by another keeper.

Originally Posted by WRX616
The car still has to be insured by someone else for you to drive it 3rd party on your insurance.
Old 11 April 2008, 10:50 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX616
Why?
Old 12 April 2008, 03:02 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

No, it needs to be registered to an another keeper and insured by them to for your insurance on a Fully comp policy to cover you to drive the car, you will be done for driving an uninsured car. Even if you re-register the car in someone else's name ( the Wife or Son for example) you could still be done if it is proven that you knew it car has no insurance on it.

Last edited by Scoobyspanners; 12 April 2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12 April 2008, 07:03 AM
beal
Scooby Regular

People used to do this a lot,it was a little loop hole,but i dont think you can anymore
Old 12 April 2008, 08:51 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find you can drive any other vehicle third party on your fully comp insurance provided it is not owned by you or registered to you and the owner gives permission, but make sure you read your certificate first as a lot of people have been caught out due to insurance companies changing their policies regarding this.

Doesn't mean the police won't stop you as the vehicle you're driving may still come up as uninsured but carry your docs while you drive and you should be OK...

Has to be insured to sit on the highway though, as the third party cover stops as soon as you stop driving.

Last edited by STi_Si; 14 April 2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added
Old 13 April 2008, 12:01 AM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weeebell
... was told the car still had to be insured to sit on the public highway.

they told me ANY driver with fully comprehensive insurance could legally drive the vehicle third party only even if the vehicle isnt insured elsewhere.
Is there not a conflict here?

The car can't be on the road if you haven't got it insured, but someone else with insurance can drive it