Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats it worth (dont make me cry)

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2001, 04:43 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just trying to gauge the market at the moment for used imports....
I have a 98WRX STi v4 (4 door silver) which I may be selling in a month or so.
Average miles & a couple of options (PIAA's / Scoobysport box)
Just wondered what its worth roughly.
I know AutoTrader are full of them !

Any thoughts welcome.

Ro
Old 08 January 2001, 05:08 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry to say this, but I know of someone who bought a WRX STi v4 with leda suspension and other toys, second hand for 12K a few months prior to Xmas, car market is worse now isnt it... ?

Sorry...
Old 08 January 2001, 06:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly its the unmolested UK spec models that get the real big money.

The dubious market of the import has fallen away rapidly - it was hot while there was no UK ready supply ... but now the UK cars are there in the market in some numbers.

Step back and look at what the market may want:- an import with little history a few mods and dodgy parts supply OR a nice clean FSH UK spec car untouched by the tuners hands?? therein lies your answer.

Now, I KNOW that owning the car is probably worth all the cost - thats not the issue when you come to sell is it? its a matter of,'Why does no-one want my imported, thrashed, undocumented, fast, tuned, car with the dice offered free??'

Pete

Asbestos suit just put on!!!!
Old 08 January 2001, 06:26 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry, but I would say Dr Evil is probably about right £12-13K tops.

One of my lucky moments, was back in the summer I was looking for a car like yours, at which point they were going for around £19k. I just could not afford that and had to keep my UK spec Turbo, which despite costing under £16k is probably still worth about £14k MY00 <6k miles.

Probably something to do with insurance, I was being quoted more than 50% more for Sti insurance, which is a lot when you are paying over £1200 anyway.

Best of luck anyway.
Old 08 January 2001, 09:57 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i suppose i got lucky - in a strange way, MY97 stolen/recovered a year ago. got repaired on the insurance and got 16K from a scoob dealer who knew the history of the vehicle. standard uk car 30K miles. since bought an accord type r (don't even want to know the value).

but the point of this post is that all owners of second hand cars are in your position. the markey is firmly in the hands of the purchaser. used car prices are faultering month by month. it seems to me that we are heading the way of the japanese where cars become virtually un-sellable after 3 years (30k miles). refering to another post mellow yellow lost 10K on an F40!! who would have dreamed of that 18 months ago.

with insurance prices on the increase it will be no suprise that the performance car market will suffer the most (same as happened to the original hot hatch brigade in the late 80s/early 90s).

the only way to stop the "rot" is to force everybody to use the trains for 3 months and ban the sale of new cars completely - then in 6 months the scoob will have doubled in value
Old 08 January 2001, 10:05 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looking at more mainstream cars makes you feel a little better.

A friend in car sales just sold a 20 month old 2.5V6 Ghia Mondeo 4K miles for £7500. He paid £6250 for it at auction. This car cost £22000 less than 2 years ago.

Also local supermarkets have less than a year old ST24's for less than £10000.

Lee

[This message has been edited by logiclee (edited 08 January 2001).]
Old 08 January 2001, 10:20 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Sorry but a local dealer offered me a STI version V in black with all the bells and whistles, V plate with 7k on the clock for 16k two days ago. Plus it was a genuine mint car. Its just a shame that I need a four door. Essentially a P1 in black for half the money !!!