Failing turbo - Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2008, 01:12 PM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing turbo - Need some advice

Right get comfy cause this is going to be a long one;

Just finished the engine rebuild on my P1 which went perfectly, engine is fine and I'm currently running it in.

However I bought a second hand turbo from flea bay as mine was missing a couple of blades.

Whilst I've been running it in i've been using relatively low boost, however gave it a squirt last night and i lost all boost and when I popped the bonet there was a definate rattle coming from the direction of the turbo.

I have decided that this is not going to stay on the car for any period of time as the engine has just been rebuilt, so I'm in the market for another turbo.

Do I go the vf34 route which I can buy for 460 boxed new, or do I try and get my two rebuilt for about 450? I want to avoid a remap at this moment in time if at all possible.

The other option of course is to source a good vf28 that one of you guys may just have lying around.

Help please masters!
Old 10 April 2008, 01:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo_Duke
Right get comfy cause this is going to be a long one;

Just finished the engine rebuild on my P1 which went perfectly, engine is fine and I'm currently running it in.

However I bought a second hand turbo from flea bay as mine was missing a couple of blades.

Whilst I've been running it in i've been using relatively low boost, however gave it a squirt last night and i lost all boost and when I popped the bonet there was a definate rattle coming from the direction of the turbo.

I have decided that this is not going to stay on the car for any period of time as the engine has just been rebuilt, so I'm in the market for another turbo.

Do I go the vf34 route which I can buy for 460 boxed new, or do I try and get my two rebuilt for about 450? I want to avoid a remap at this moment in time if at all possible.

The other option of course is to source a good vf28 that one of you guys may just have lying around.

Help please masters!
VF34/35 both better choices than the 28. the 35 is said to spool a bit quicker and the 34 sad to have a bit more top end, but there is often little to distingush between them. Both very nice turbos for the 330-250 range. 35 can usually be had cheaper than the 34.

Ns04
Old 11 April 2008, 11:54 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely the first thing to do is to find out exactly what is wrong with your present set up and work forward from there.