Sponsored by:

Subaru issues "stop sale"

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2008, 11:04 PM
SRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru issues "stop sale"

Don't know what is happening with Subaru, but since Toyota is involved I get the feeling that something is very wrong with the six star brand.

To issue a stop sale for quality problems?
Subaru issues "stop sale" on all models equipped with turbo'd 2.5-liter - Autoblog

A couple of years ago unthinkable that Subaru would ever have such a quality issue. And the new diesel? When something like this happens with the new engine Subaru can forget all of the plans they have to sell more cars in the future.

And that after they made a joke of themselves to introduce a new WRX that can be so easily beaten by a VW Golf GTI:
FiFth Gear - Volkswagen Golf GTI vs. Subaru Impreza WRX « Gaya, Ruang dan Kepelbagaian

Greetings,
SRX!
Old 09 April 2008, 11:33 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRX
Don't know what is happening with Subaru, but since Toyota is involved I get the feeling that something is very wrong with the six star brand.

To issue a stop sale for quality problems?
Subaru issues "stop sale" on all models equipped with turbo'd 2.5-liter - Autoblog

A couple of years ago unthinkable that Subaru would ever have such a quality issue. And the new diesel? When something like this happens with the new engine Subaru can forget all of the plans they have to sell more cars in the future.
Knock knock!

Who's there?

Big end

....doh!

Seriously though. It's good they did it. Instead of trying to cover it up and say "problem? what problem?" Like many other manufacturers do (until a consumer driven class-action law suit says otherwise ).

The worrying thing though is this:

The issue involves reports of an "engine knocking noise" that's been affecting vehicles outside the U.S. market,
and

Currently, no U.S. vehicles have been affected,
So the US is safe in the knowledge that the problem WILL be resolved (no doubt because Subaru US is scared of being sued) . But potentially EU, AUS and JDM cars may not be resolved - so where does that leave consumers outside the US? Especially when they mention the problem HAS affected non US cars.

Although knocking Subaru engines is nothing new. Big ends and Subaru are words that are synonymous with each other.
Old 10 April 2008, 10:06 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2.5 engine was described to me recently by someone as having "Chocolate pistons"

He was telling me that the MY05 STI's were the best of the whole lot as Subaru had ironed out all the problem and then they went 2.5 and put chocolate pistons in it.
Old 10 April 2008, 10:37 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The old UK MY97 onwards and MY97 WRX onwards with cast pistons are the most chocolate variety IMO.

Models with the forged pistons I find are far less "chocolately".

However, pistons debate is very subjective as they are so many different piston designs used in the EJ25 and EJ20...even between same year/model/engine size/spec cars but made for different countries. Leading to the old cast vs forged debate.

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 April 2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10 April 2008, 04:19 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

they have been blowing up engines since they first came out!!

nothing new to be honest, harsh but true, subaru engines are not the best of the bunch.

and this is somebody who has paid his 2k to have his chocolate engine repaired

although my chocolate 97 pistons were fine

crank died a horrible death instead
Old 10 April 2008, 09:35 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

So - as someone who is just about to order a shiny new WRX STi to replace my 05 WRX - what's the situation?

Is the 2.5T engine in the STi fundamentally floored?
Subaru UK are going to have to issue something to put customers minds at rest.

I was planning to go to my dealer this weekend to place an order - perhaps I should wait until the dust has settled - but even then, all of the STi's currently "in the system" are presumably affected - so presumably it'll be many many months before "fixed" cars are available.

What a shambles!
Old 10 April 2008, 10:05 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

To sum it up: Bad batch. Nothing fundamental about them.

YOu probably still be able to order one. Just expect a long wait ....although that's better than getting a car with a big end that fails 10,000 miles later.

At a guess, I reckon Subaru will stop production of the 2.5 Sti, and scale up production of 2.5 Sti crate engines to replace the current bad batch.

Trending Topics

Old 10 April 2008, 10:24 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
To sum it up: Bad batch. Nothing fundamental about them.

YOu probably still be able to order one. Just expect a long wait ....although that's better than getting a car with a big end that fails 10,000 miles later.

At a guess, I reckon Subaru will stop production of the 2.5 Sti, and scale up production of 2.5 Sti crate engines to replace the current bad batch.
Surely if they are under warranty they would have to replace the engine. Or would they just replace parts or would they have to remove the engines to fix anyway
Old 10 April 2008, 10:39 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Surely if they are under warranty they would have to replace the engine. Or would they just replace parts or would they have to remove the engines to fix anyway
Just a thought if they can't sell any new ones for awhile then the price of the old models will go up
Old 10 April 2008, 10:39 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Its all about overall costs.

My guess is an outright crate engine swap is quicker and cheaper to sort than removing, stripping, replacing components, re-assembing and refitting the current engine - especially before the car is sold. The old engine will then either be scrapped or sent to be remanufactured.

Its certainly what BMW, Jaguar and Land Rover did when tackling a spate of internal critical engine problems. Where many repairable engines just went on the scrap heap just because they were deamed "faulty" (I should know - I saved a few from being melted down ).

However the piston slap issue proved that somehow Subrau (UK) thought it would be more cost effective to replace short engines and individual pistons

No doubt we will soon find out if whether they will think its a wise choice this time round: Its down to what labour rates they can agree with their dealership networks to resolve the issue.
Old 11 April 2008, 10:02 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I cant wait to blow my engine and eat my melted chocolate pistons.

Yum yum.

Sorry, i couldnt resist saying that
Old 11 April 2008, 11:44 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"So - as someone who is just about to order a shiny new WRX STi to replace my 05 WRX - what's the situation?"

My advice would be to get yourself down to Specsavers!
Old 11 April 2008, 12:36 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rjlinney
So - as someone who is just about to order a shiny new WRX STi to replace my 05 WRX - what's the situation?

Is the 2.5T engine in the STi fundamentally floored?
Subaru UK are going to have to issue something to put customers minds at rest.

I was planning to go to my dealer this weekend to place an order - perhaps I should wait until the dust has settled - but even then, all of the STi's currently "in the system" are presumably affected - so presumably it'll be many many months before "fixed" cars are available.

What a shambles!
I was in the same situation have spoken to a dealer who has spoken with IM there are no known engine problems with UK models as yet. The problems reported imply its only engines built since January most cars in the UK were probably built well before this. Bottom line is if the engine blows they will replace under warranty.
Old 11 April 2008, 11:10 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be a pedant, but just because Toyota are the largest individual share holder, doesn't mean anything sinister. Blimey Suzuki own nearly 2% and one of Americas largest financial institutions owns 7%. Between them they can out vote Toyota.

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. > Investor Relations | Share Information | Stock Information

Check out Toyota, they only own about 25% of their issued shares if my maths is right

Stock Info | Stock Info - TOYOTA INDUSTRIES CORPORATION

Any stockbroker/fund analysts types feel free to correct me.
Old 12 April 2008, 01:19 PM
SRX
Scooby Regular

More news about the sale stop:
Motors - Executive Style Home - smh.com.au

For Toyota; I have seen the new Forester and find the materials of the interior a lot worse looking then my 2.5 XT from 2005. More like I am used to from Toyota models.

When I reed something like this "After all, they need something to differentiate the Toyota from the Subaru." - Japanese Nostalgic Car - Blog » Blog Archive » Toyota-Subaru RWD Confirmed - is there no Toyota influence?

More then Subaru is willing to account for, I would say:
Subiesport Magazine: Subaru + Toyota = Hot RWD Coupé

Greetings,
SRX!

Last edited by SRX; 12 April 2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12 April 2008, 06:02 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

And that after they made a joke of themselves to introduce a new WRX that can be so easily beaten by a VW Golf GTI:
FiFth Gear - Volkswagen Golf GTI vs. Subaru Impreza WRX « Gaya, Ruang dan Kepelbagaian

How come when she says 0-60 of WRX 6.1 Gti 7.2 would be interested seeing the comparison done from standing start though if the gti exceeded 130mph that might account for difference unless suspension just not good enough to match Gti?
Old 13 April 2008, 12:58 AM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRX
More news about the sale stop:
Motors - Executive Style Home - smh.com.au

For Toyota; I have seen the new Forester and find the materials of the interior a lot worse looking then my 2.5 XT from 2005. More like I am used to from Toyota models.

When I reed something like this "After all, they need something to differentiate the Toyota from the Subaru." - Japanese Nostalgic Car - Blog » Blog Archive » Toyota-Subaru RWD Confirmed - is there no Toyota influence?

More then Subaru is willing to account for, I would say:
Subiesport Magazine: Subaru + Toyota = Hot RWD Coupé

Greetings,
SRX!
Fair enough, they have increased their shareholding, but 16.5% is still a long way from ownership. This sort of thing is not unusual in big business partnerships, and as the man from Fuji said, they retain their independence. Honda did the same with Rover at one point if I remember correctly, before it went fubar and was bought by BMW.

It doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things at the moment though, the new cars aren't selling, either because they are rubbish, the dealers can't get enough of them, or the big ends melt. Not only that, but International Motors Group have been know to make some odd marketing/business decisions. Ask any Isuzu car dealers.....