2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2008, 12:45 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Hello

If I ever manage to sell my Supra, I am looking to buy either a Honda Civic Type R or a new Subaru Impreza WRX (not the STI version).

I haven't had an impreza for many years and the new one looks very 'basic' inside (in comparision to the Honda) and the MPG and lack of 6th gear make it even less appealing.

Does anyone have one and can comment on how it is day-to-day and if the MPG are accurate.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 08 April 2008, 01:00 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't do it, the new WRX is rubbish. Go slightly older and get a good Hawkeye WRX with PPP and you'll be chuffed !
Old 08 April 2008, 01:38 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I don't really want a 'played' with car though -- just something standard.

I also just saw that the tax on the Impreza is £400 from next year. Wow.

Steve
Old 08 April 2008, 02:11 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Dig a little deeper and go for the 2008 STI - you won't be disappointed!

Otherwise, I would have to say the Type-R is a better choice than the WRX!
Old 08 April 2008, 03:30 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't buy new only for the ridiculous depreciation factor. For the same money you could have a lovely nearly new 2007 with less the 5000 miles on it and completely standard "unplayed with" as you say and you'll find most will still have 2/3 years warranty left but the big positive is someone else has taken the biggest hit..... unless your loaded then fill your boots but don't be a tight git and buy the STI

.in fact you'd get a 2007 STI for the same money I'd have thought !??!?
Old 08 April 2008, 03:50 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

A WRX with PPP is not a "played with" car. It's a factory modification, how can you see that as a bad thing..?
Old 08 April 2008, 04:05 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Don't do it, the new WRX is rubbish. Go slightly older and get a good Hawkeye WRX with PPP and you'll be chuffed !
How do you know have you actually driven one?
Old 08 April 2008, 04:14 PM
ELYA49
Scooby Regular

Subaru of America have stopped all sales of turbocharged 2.5 engines due to knocking noises and possible engine wear..!!!!!
They issued a note to all dealers.
Go for a Hawkeye. My mate is selling a 2.5 World rally blue WRX. March '07 only 2,800 miles. I think he is looking for around £12,500. Immaculate condition, as new. No modifications. Electric sunroof and side airbags. Have phots if required.
Old 08 April 2008, 04:20 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

If it was my cash and I had to have a new car then I would be looking at one of the new EVO's, new WRX looks to bland for me and the new STi still looks wrong from the side and rear. Plus they have been slated in the motoring press and seen to have been thrashed on Fifth Gear by the it's rivals. Mazda 3MPS performance is about the same as the WRX and looks slightly better too, around £19,100 from Mazda dealers on the net and cheaper if you shop around. Personally I would go for an older Sti and spend some cash on it that I had saved by not getting the newer car. But that's just my opinion.
Old 08 April 2008, 04:24 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners
If it was my cash and I had to have a new car then I would be looking at one of the new EVO's, new WRX looks to bland for me and the new STi still looks wrong from the side and rear. Plus they have been slated in the motoring press and seen to have been thrashed on Fifth Gear by the it's rivals. Mazda 3MPS performance is about the same as the WRX and looks slightly better too, around £19,100 from Mazda dealers on the net and cheaper if you shop around. Personally I would go for an older Sti and spend some cash on it that I had saved by not getting the newer car. But that's just my opinion.
I'm not defending the new car but ..... the STI doesn't seem to have been slated yet we've not really seen any proper reviews ... time will tell on this one. As for the EVO big price difference matey and the mazda may go in a straight line but it is front wheel drive so I doubt (although not driven it) it could go round a corner quite as well.
Old 08 April 2008, 04:32 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

If you want to drive something a little bit different then the WRX might be for you, I've not driven it but I get the impression it would be an easy car to live with day to day and have a decent turn of speed if you want to press the loud pedal a bit. Are there faster cars out there, of course and are there more attractive cars, well it's subjective but probably... but Scoob ownership has never been about fitting in or following the crowd.

At the end of the day both would probably be nice new cars to own, not sure where I'd go but if I was considering a Civic Type R then I'd also have to consider the JDM version which is saloon based and offers a bit more of a hardcore approach (more power and an LSD as standard as well which is nice). I've gone for the 08 STI (waiting on wheels) which is in many peoples opinions crazy but for the reasons already stated it was the only choice for me. I've looked at a couple of new JDM Civic's and was very nearly tempted to buy one, but as an everyday car I don't think it was for me.

I've owned a bug eye WRX and it was an ok car day to day but I coudn't go back to one now, the interiors are just too dated. The new models although plain pretty much have most of the stuff you need in them but not as tactile as the Honda.
You're gonna have to drive em and see which you like.
Old 08 April 2008, 05:21 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by HOWY
How do you know have you actually driven one?
Yes and it was so very slow in comparison to my blobeye. It felt bloated. The WRX is too watered down now, the STi would seem to be the only way to go.
Old 08 April 2008, 05:49 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Here we go again. So what magazines "slated" the STi? What cars did you see "thrashing" the STi? Why do people comment on something they nothing about?
Old 08 April 2008, 07:06 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Yes and it was so very slow in comparison to my blobeye. It felt bloated. The WRX is too watered down now, the STi would seem to be the only way to go.
Interesting comments. I would like an STi but just can't afford one. I went for a test drive in a Mazda 3 MPS and was quite impressed though didn't like the torque steer though I could probably live with it and it would be cheaper to buy and probably run than the WRX. Perhaps with a PPP kit the new WRX might be more appealing?

I am planning on going for a test drive in the new WRX this week so hopefully I will be able to make my mind up which one to go for, or should I just keep my 3 year old MY05 EU WRX

Last edited by HOWY; 08 April 2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08 April 2008, 07:34 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on with the test drive, hope I am wrong about the WRX as Subaru have put the effort and money into replacing the old car. Sales figure will tell if they have made the right choice, but I wonder how main new Impreza's Lichfields have sold........ ? It would be interesting to compare the sales figures in comparison to the older car's sales figure at the time of its launch. Are they shifting as fast as the old car did when released in the UK?
Old 08 April 2008, 08:05 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

If you're having trouble selling your Supra then why replace it with another car that no one wants (i.e. an Impreza). You're going to get such a huge kick in the nuts when you've spent all your money running it and you want to sell that you'd be better off spending more now on a different car that people will actually want. If I was about to shell out a load of my hard earned I'd be taking a long hard look at the 123d. It's had terrific reviews and with a few choice options you'll have people queueing up to buy it off you. I am a big Type-R fan but the Civic won't be a whole lot better. It is the UK's best selling hot hatch and I think we're approaching the problem of over-supply. Now if you're thinking about the JDM Civic then that is a different kettle of fish altogether.....
Old 08 April 2008, 09:46 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember the initial feedback from Subaru was that they weren't going to bring in the WRX to the UK? Maybe that would have been the right decision, perhaps the amrket for this type of car is going very quickly and/or been superceeded by the competition?
Old 08 April 2008, 10:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
If you're having trouble selling your Supra then why replace it with another car that no one wants (i.e. an Impreza). You're going to get such a huge kick in the nuts when you've spent all your money running it and you want to sell that you'd be better off spending more now on a different car that people will actually want. If I was about to shell out a load of my hard earned I'd be taking a long hard look at the 123d. It's had terrific reviews and with a few choice options you'll have people queueing up to buy it off you. I am a big Type-R fan but the Civic won't be a whole lot better. It is the UK's best selling hot hatch and I think we're approaching the problem of over-supply. Now if you're thinking about the JDM Civic then that is a different kettle of fish altogether.....

There is some truth in there, although my Supra has had a good run: I've owned it for 8 years and it has done 122K! So any car I buy I would expect to keep for at least 5 years.

With regards to the Civic, at the moment prices are still surprisingly high. I have been looking at 6-9 month old cars and they are still fetching £15K (against a new list of £19K, dealer negotiated down to £17.5K).

Steve
Old 09 April 2008, 12:32 AM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i had a type r b4 the scoob........have a drive in both and see which you prefer...lets just say im still in my 04 sti.......
Old 09 April 2008, 12:42 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I was looking at the Type-R last summer and even though I didn't purchase it at the time, I'm still tempted to get one.
Old 09 April 2008, 03:19 PM
Manx_STi
Scooby Regular

I tested a Type R and i felt it was all fart and no pooh... the engine promised so much but gave so little! IMO the Type R is now very underpowered, Honda really should have looked for another 30 - 40bhp to compensate for the additional weight of the new Civic body shape. Also nothing prepares you for the bone shattering ride!

I did buy my wife a Civic 2.2 EX diesel though and its really nice to drive, we speced the car right up and all the toys are superb!

The ride of the WRX was great, i loved it, so much so i bought an STi (being delivered on monday!!). Test both but make sure you take the honda for a really good test drive to see if you could live with the ride cause it was only after an hour that i started to get really pissed of with it.
Old 10 April 2008, 11:03 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I just went for a testdrive in the WRX and it is okay. Reasonably fast, quite comfortable. A bit 'dated' inside the cabin, but okay.

But then I saw the STI and I just don't understand where the WRX fits in. Yes it is cheaper, but it is less economic, produces more CO2 (not by much) and only has 5 gears.

So I'm a bit confused now, as I can't really justify the extra £5K but the WRX seems tawdry in comparision.

Steve
Old 10 April 2008, 02:05 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

So any idea as to which one it is to be then? Or may I suggest you try a Golf GTi. There are plenty of Hot Hatch cars in the same market group as the new WRX and the VW had a good reputation and holds up very well against their Japanese counterparts.
Old 10 April 2008, 02:28 PM
Manx_STi
Scooby Regular

Agreed the golf GTI is a very viable option.. however £20k will not buy you a new one unless you go for an import. Plus i think you will find imports under £20k will not have leather which is now standard on the UK spec cars. It will take a month or so for leather to be inc with the imports but at present the dealers want you to pay extra for it when VW are basically giving it away as standard. But the flip side is import dealers are really struggling to shift cars without leather so the prices are rock bottom.

I was about to buy a5 door Edition 30 GTI for around £24k (with a couple of options) but visited the Subaru showroom and was won over instantly.

But dont forget the GTi will be replaced by the mk VI in approx one year... so what will happen to risiduals is anyones guess.

PS the VW dealer i spoke to have plenty of cars at the docks for immediate delivery, seemed to range from £21500 for a 5 door gti with a couple of options to £24k for a ED 30 with Ipod etc.

Last edited by Manx_STi; 10 April 2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10 April 2008, 02:41 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Yes but Subaru bring a new Impreza all the time, sooooo I think the Golf will hold residuals better.
Old 10 April 2008, 07:47 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Yes but Subaru bring a new Impreza all the time, sooooo I think the Golf will hold residuals better.
It will but lets be fair ... it does look bland ... my old 2.0tdi looked almost identical.
Old 10 April 2008, 08:02 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

So any idea as to which one it is to be then? Or may I suggest you try a Golf GTi. There are plenty of Hot Hatch cars in the same market group as the new WRX and the VW had a good reputation and holds up very well against their Japanese counterparts.
Well, I still haven't sold my Supra, but assuming I do soon it looks like the Honda. There is still the wildcard (a.k.a. my wife) who was too young last time I had an Impreza so wants one so she can finally drive it.

Steve
Old 10 April 2008, 08:36 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Good luck with what ever you get in the end, my Wife wants my Old Scooby when I eventually up-grade to a STi ! She even nicked my copy of Total Impreza this morning when She went to work....... An 05 Sti will probably be next on the cards for me if I ever get the cash together............
Old 12 April 2008, 02:41 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Okay, I went for another testdrive today in both cars. And the Impreza actually seems better for me. The Honda looks better inside but to get the most from it you have to drive it so it howls like a banshee and that isn't my style of driving. Instead of enjoy the howl of the engine, I'm just thinking I can't thrash it like that. So it appears I have reached middle-age (but not the crisis stage).

The ride in the Impreza was firm but okay for longer journeys and the power quite smooth throughout the range.

The interesting thign being that neither of them appear to be as good as my Supra in any respect apart from space. But I can't afford to keep it and something else for work.

Steve
Old 12 April 2008, 03:03 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just another thought. Have you considered one of the pre-facelift Focus STs? I think they retail new for about 14-15k now which is an awful lot of NEW car for the money. Another thought is the old CTR. I had one of the first ones and loved it - it's faster than the new one and enormously practical with the seats down.

And one further thing . If you're not excited about any of the cars you have tried then how about looking at something cheaper? I know it's far cooler to shovel your last penny into a car, but £10k (or less?) will buy you something very nice indeed. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX