Sponsored by:

Untaxed car clamped ???

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2008, 10:23 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Untaxed car clamped ???

So heres the story. A friend of mines daughter had an accident 6 weeks ago. The car is a crappy old clio a good runner though. Car was a right off. Front end damage snapped bottom balljoint and track rod end ,wheel up under wheel arch. Infact the only thing holding one side on is the top suspension mount and the brake pipe.

We parked it up behind his house in a carpark which is for residents. Rarely used really. infact one bloke keeps his caravan there and another a car trailor.. thats all its used for.
The tax ran out on the car and it was sorn.

The reason the car was left there was to wait for the weather to get a little better and then strip some parts of it. Mainly the engine and box and some trim stuff. the reason being shes bought another car exactly the same. there both n reg so shes probably going to need some spares. lol

So today dvla have been along and clamped it and said its not off road and that any council property is public highway???

The funny thing is theyve clamped the wheel thats damaged

I could undo the top mount jack it up and move it without touching the clamp or wheel. Does anyone know where i stand with doing that?

Ofcourse if i did that i would move it to private land. I do have a trailor so its going to cost nothing to move it.

There is no way ever this car could be driven on the road. Just seems to me some jobsworth having a laugh
Old 02 April 2008, 10:28 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

**** 'em, take the wheel off the car and just leave the clamp outside next to the car!
Old 02 April 2008, 10:33 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

I know were you stand!

They will send you a nice bill through your door!

Im with you they are ****$r£ but no tax and on a road means clamp and fine (end off)

All so if you don't move it quick enough you will come out to find it not there and crushed with then another nice bill coming through the door for picking it up and crushing it.

If you don't laugh ul cry
Old 02 April 2008, 10:34 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

is insurance gonna take it or something??? u mite just take the bits u need off it and leave the chassis there.. they'll tow it away for free.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:37 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Going 4 400bhp
I know were you stand!

They will send you a nice bill through your door!

Im with you they are ****$r£ but no tax and on a road means clamp and fine (end off)

All so if you don't move it quick enough you will come out to find it not there and crushed with then another nice bill coming through the door for picking it up and crushing it.

If you don't laugh ul cry
Its not mine so i wont have a bill. not worried about that. the point is its not in my opinion on the road and i cant move it or can i as one wheel ish has a clamp on it.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:41 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

"carpark which is for residents"

Means not private and owned by the Man (Goverment)

You can move it but someone will be getting a letter very soon.
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I thought there was a case a few years back where a mechanics wife got clamped-he being a mechanic went to car and took clamp off without damaging it and i seem to remember as he hadn't damaged it he was ok and got away with it, and police said it was ok as he hadn't caused criminal damage to clamp.

But im only going by memory.
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Underworld
is insurance gonna take it or something??? u mite just take the bits u need off it and leave the chassis there.. they'll tow it away for free.

No there was no insurance involved, was only third party and no other cars involved.

think i'll just strip it the weekend and leave the chassis there as you say.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:52 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

i think if you remove the clamp with out damaging it and pop it down the police station, you can get away with it, im sure some people did this by letting there tyres down and doing this (not low profile lol) i would give it ago but dont take my word for it....
Old 02 April 2008, 10:57 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

im happy to leave the wheel,hub,front suspension leg and driveshaft still in the clamp. Think i will just for the laugh
Old 02 April 2008, 11:07 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
im happy to leave the wheel,hub,front suspension leg and driveshaft still in the clamp. Think i will just for the laugh
Have to admit thats all I'd do for pure comedy value.

On one hand I can understand why they do it - its very had to draw lines, on the other hand, it seems a little OTT when its not on a public *road*.

Still, strip the car for parts, get rid of the chassis and the like, leave the clamp where it is with the wheel, hub and strut in...

When DVLA come around asking for the fine to be paid for the car with no tax... "what car?"
Old 02 April 2008, 11:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The local authority can own land as a private land owner, which this is, if its as described (and therefore not maintained at the publics expense). You can force the DVLAs agents to move the clamp, in theory. In practice the person you speak to will be as ignorant of fact as the person who attached the thing in the first place.....
Old 03 April 2008, 02:07 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

LOL
Surely they can't do you for this right?
Since you would not be tampering with the clamp whatsoever!

...You see on traffic cops, when a driver is caught driving without insurance or summink, the cops always asks the driver if they need to take anything from the car before it gets impounded... yes sir... just the engine, boot, the bonnet, the seats, the windscreen etc etc

Last edited by D.O.M; 03 April 2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:04 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Please do this and tell us what happens.
Old 03 April 2008, 01:27 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Strip what you (they) want off it in situ and let them take it away FOC
Old 03 April 2008, 02:16 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sadly an offence as been committed and you will be pursued until they get their money! It's not your car but the person who owns it will get the ****e! sadly, ignornace is not an excuse.

My mate is the Central UK Rep for DVLA Anti-tax dodgers etc he's paid well!
Old 03 April 2008, 02:21 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Leave the clamped wheel on it's own after you have stripped the car and scrapped the rest.

That should be good for a laugh and show how messed up the whole system is
Old 03 April 2008, 02:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

An offence has not been committed if the car is parked on private land. It is a mistake to confuse council owned land with highway or land maintained at the publics expense.
Old 03 April 2008, 02:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Glad I moved my scoob, it was sat in a similar position for a couple of months whilst sorn. Whether or not it is right it would be a pain in the @rse.
Old 03 April 2008, 03:02 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

We want pictures of removed wheel with clamp still attached!
Old 03 April 2008, 06:47 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

ok gonna remove the car and leave the wheel,hub etc in the clamp. Look out for pics. Gonna wait for it to get dark. lol
Old 03 April 2008, 08:26 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

ok gonna remove the car and leave the wheel,hub etc in the clamp. Look out for pics. Gonna wait for it to get dark. lol
would be more fun to have one pic like how it is, and one after u stripped it... can have a good laugh lol
Old 03 April 2008, 08:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So heres the story. A friend of mines daughter had an accident 6 weeks ago. The car is a crappy old clio a good runner though. Car was a right off. Front end damage snapped bottom balljoint and track rod end ,wheel up under wheel arch. Infact the only thing holding one side on is the top suspension mount and the brake pipe.

We parked it up behind his house in a carpark which is for residents. Rarely used really. infact one bloke keeps his caravan there and another a car trailor.. thats all its used for.
The tax ran out on the car and it was sorn.

The reason the car was left there was to wait for the weather to get a little better and then strip some parts of it. Mainly the engine and box and some trim stuff. the reason being shes bought another car exactly the same. there both n reg so shes probably going to need some spares. lol

So today dvla have been along and clamped it and said its not off road and that any council property is public highway???

The funny thing is theyve clamped the wheel thats damaged

I could undo the top mount jack it up and move it without touching the clamp or wheel. Does anyone know where i stand with doing that?

Ofcourse if i did that i would move it to private land. I do have a trailor so its going to cost nothing to move it.

There is no way ever this car could be driven on the road. Just seems to me some jobsworth having a laugh
My old boss had his van clamped once, after rushing to hospital to see his wife that was seriously ill. got back to the van after visiting, noticed it was clamped, and as he's a joiner he just took a hacksaw out the back and cut it off. its still in his back garden to this day and he's never heard anything from them. That was a few years ago right enough.
Old 03 April 2008, 08:59 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing that when they clamped it they took a note of the reg. number and so will pursue the owner. If the clamp goes AWOL then they may charge you for a replacement clamp. Its very difficult to beat the system..

Whether an offence has been committed is all down to whether this piece of tarmac was public road or not. You would need to contact your local highways dept. and check it out with them.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:57 PM
jason77
Scooby Regular

they usually take the car away in failure of payment for the offence and leave it at that.
It's a 'you'll need to pay to get your car back sir' If you don't want it back, then it's an easy way to scrap a car.

So as you say, leave the chassis for them to take away once you've stripped it and they can have it.

I don't know how it would stand with only taking away part of the car - i.e. the hub ect.

Could it be someone taking the **** and clamping it for a laff- seeing as they put it onto the shagged wheel.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:36 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Its a shame you dont live in Scotland as clamping is illegal and considered extortion.

Graeme
Old 04 April 2008, 05:18 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Even if you did remove the clamp, and leave it (or take it home lol)
How would they know that you were the one who removed it? What if some complete nutcase came along and removed your clamp before you even know they put one on your car......

How would they prove who removed the clamp?
just a thought lol
Old 04 April 2008, 08:49 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

some pics

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...285p/clio3.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...285p/clio2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...285p/clio1.jpg

And now the fun

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...85p/clamp3.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...85p/clamp1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...85p/clamp5.jpg
Old 04 April 2008, 09:06 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

That is just soooo good ! maximum respect mate !!!!
Old 04 April 2008, 09:11 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
My old boss had his van clamped once, after rushing to hospital to see his wife that was seriously ill. got back to the van after visiting, noticed it was clamped, and as he's a joiner he just took a hacksaw out the back and cut it off. its still in his back garden to this day and he's never heard anything from them. That was a few years ago right enough.

Won't happen in Wales then again he wouldn't be paying for her prescriptions either

Quick Reply: Untaxed car clamped ???