Sponsored by:

went karting tonight in rayleigh essex

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2008, 10:43 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went karting tonight in rayleigh essex

the best experience ever. finish 6th overall out of 10 so not to good. i have been before at a different track but forgot how good this is. i got in my car and thought there was something wrong with the steering. seems very light and unresponsive. the weird thing is on the jorney home i started following racing lines. is this normal after karting?

my fastest lap was 27.13 and i was really p!ssed because somebody held me up.(not making excuses of course) just goes to show that racing on a track is nothing to do with the car you drive. the winner drove a fiat punto 1.2.

and on top of that in the final couldn't see anything because my vizor was steamed up.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:27 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything below 30 is supposed to be good at that track. I heard that 26 was a record. But its all secondhand info.
I'm down there on saturday.
any tips on whats the fastest "number" kart to go for?
Old 31 March 2008, 11:49 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

They pick the karts by the number you go in, so if there's 10 of you, make sure your 6th in the line. Kart no.6 won. Wether that's an advantage or not I don't know but every little helps. Tip! go wide at every corner and brake then accelarate through the apex. I got the tips from watching some blokes after us doing 27s 26s laps.
Old 01 April 2008, 01:22 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

i got in my car and thought there was something wrong with the steeringWelcome to the world of boring cars.
Girly light steering, over-sensitive brakes and no sense of speed. One doesn't realise how bad it is until something a bit raw stirs up the senses.

Drive a early 1980's 911 and one quickly notices how boring modern cars are - be it a Impreza, Porsche or dare I say...Ferarri! Comes to something when a kart can do to the senses what alot of modern performance cars can't

If you get the opertunity, try karting in the wet (preferably on slicks): Sorts the men from the boys

Last edited by Shark Man; 01 April 2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:01 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

If you get the opertunity, try karting in the wet (preferably on slicks): Sorts the men from the boys
indeed! brake for the corners to turn the kart and then drift through

rayleigh is fun - been there a few times and always enjoyed it, but i organiise kart racing to raise money for RICS Lionheart (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors' benevolent fund) and we usually go to rye house at hoddesdon.

give that one a try if you fancy seeing what a difference a bit of rain can make! i've been clocked there at 69mph down the back straight and there are a lot of people lighter than me! i;ve been karting at hoddesdon for about 14yrs now two or three times a year

haven't tried lakeside yet, but have been meaning to at some point.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:14 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Anything below 30 is supposed to be good at that track. I heard that 26 was a record. But its all secondhand info.
I'm down there on saturday.
any tips on whats the fastest "number" kart to go for?
They change the numbers after every race so not an indication of the quickest kart.

Was there for a stag do last year - Good fun.

They were quite hot on the bumping though

I just got into the 26 second bracket - Think the record is 25 something

Definitely out wide and accelerate through apex

Remember getting in the car afterwards thinking my steering was broken...
I might have exceeded the limit on the way home*

*Disclaimer: may not be true..
Old 01 April 2008, 10:54 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardg
indeed! brake for the corners to turn the kart and then drift through

rayleigh is fun - been there a few times and always enjoyed it, but i organiise kart racing to raise money for RICS Lionheart (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors' benevolent fund) and we usually go to rye house at hoddesdon.

give that one a try if you fancy seeing what a difference a bit of rain can make! i've been clocked there at 69mph down the back straight and there are a lot of people lighter than me! i;ve been karting at hoddesdon for about 14yrs now two or three times a year

haven't tried lakeside yet, but have been meaning to at some point.

Ahh Rye House, I use to race in the club championship there in the 2 stroke formula TKM class several years ago............. those were the days, had some good Sundays up there once a month.

Forget the lawn mower jobbies, try a 100cc 2 stroke, that will liven the senses!

All good fun though