Sponsored by:

Opinion wanted!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2008, 12:30 AM
Christian and Beccy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion wanted!!

If you were an honest garage who carried out a job on a customers car at an agreed price and did everything as agreed, but made a genuine mistake that resulted in an incorrect payment being taken from the customers card which was quickly identified and contact was attempted with the customer, but in 3+ weeks it becomes apparent that the customer is ignoring you in a deliberate attempt to evade payment, would you think that is highly unreasonble?

Tell me your thoughts, then I may tell you which of YOUR members it is that is prepared to avoid every car forum that I have messaged him on and not answer his mobile to any one of the 3 numbers that I have repeatedly called him from for the sake of £200.
Old 26 March 2008, 12:39 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

It's a poor show on behalf of the customer!
Old 26 March 2008, 12:41 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

£200 you owe him/her?... either the person is trying drag this out to make a further claim against you, a credit card enthusiast ^^ or just a mentally challenged fella that everyone calls Gareth.
Old 26 March 2008, 12:45 AM
scatty
Scooby Regular

so i take it the customer got originally charged less than what was agreed...ie you didnt put enough thru on the transaction.....

in which case its a case of.....what a moron.....

any genuine person would return call and get charged the correct amount.....but then thats the society we live in...although i dont know the full circumstances......
Old 26 March 2008, 12:49 AM
Mew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
£200 you owe him/her?... either the person is trying drag this out to make a further claim against you, a credit card enthusiast ^^ or just a mentally challenged fella that everyone calls Gareth.
think he means that the garage undercharged the customer £200.......

i think if it was the otherway round and the garage (or any service) overcharged on an agreed price, we would go back straight away and demand it put right; so in this situation its only fair that the customer pays what was agreed, if he/she didnt think it was worth it (the job) then they wouldnt have started in the first place....

if i read this right, then i stand by the garage, genuine mistake, people done work and need to be paid end of discus.
Old 26 March 2008, 12:49 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

as shallow as it sounds if you have undercharged the customer and you didnt double check before he left then thats a lesson well learned as no normal person would contact the supplier to offer to pay up the difference
How many people have bought a drink in a bar for example paid with a £10 and got given change for £20 i bet they didnt query it.Similar principle im afraid
Old 26 March 2008, 01:09 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
as shallow as it sounds if you have undercharged the customer and you didnt double check before he left then thats a lesson well learned as no normal person would contact the supplier to offer to pay up the difference
How many people have bought a drink in a bar for example paid with a £10 and got given change for £20 i bet they didnt query it.Similar principle im afraid
I think there is a big difference from "not mentioning it" and blatantly not returning calls answering messages etc. Thats the equivelent of legging it away from the bar as the barman is shouting after you !!!

Trending Topics

Old 26 March 2008, 01:33 AM
Christian and Beccy
Scooby Newbie

The circumstances are PRECISELY as I told them. I sold the customer an item, for which he paid cash, no problems there, but then he decided he didn't want to fit it and I made him a booking and agreed a price.

The total price upon completion of the work was £205 and I invoiced that amount, but during the friendly conversation that I have with all my customers, I miss-keyed on the PDQ machine and ended up with £5.00. OK, granted it was my mistake and yes I should have checked, infact I did, but not until the end of that day, upon which I called him and PM'd him on one of the more 'local' forums to me that he uses (the one infact which was the source of his enquiry with us). Since this time (end of Feb) he hasn't logged onto any of the forums, perhaps by coincidence since the day I PM'd him and I didn't PM him on all forums on the same day.

I have also added both he and his known partner to my MSN Messenger account and called him every day from several different numbers. I PM'd him on SIDC yesterday and he has accessed the forum since then, so now I know for sure that he is avoiding me.

The problem I have is that as a staff member, this £200 is coming out of my pocket if I don't recover it.

He does live about 30 mins drive from me. I just can't believe that it is possible for someone to be prepared to avoid the active club scene that he had previously been closely involved in for the sake of £200.

I am an open-minded person, but to even me this seems far-fetched.
Old 26 March 2008, 01:39 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not usually the first in to say it but - name them - it usually brings them out of the woodwork
Old 26 March 2008, 01:42 AM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

if ya posted a mistake or not .it is good will that will get ya money back .

if a bank under charged ya 200 £ would ya moan ? orwould ya ask em them to take the right amount

if ya was a normal person in a bar as some one said would ya give the change back from a 20£ instead of a 10 £

if ya posted wrong and ya invoiced wrong and he paid and ya accepted .

sorry ya got no call to moan .i know it sounds harse but a costly lesson learnt

ya now 200 quid down .

try the sob story and see if my kids will eat egg and chipps etc .but i think it wont work

Last edited by madmooro; 26 March 2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 26 March 2008, 01:45 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame to hear **** like this

Seems a bit shallow for a lousy £200. Unless there is a genuine reason?

Id give them the benefit of the doubt to have read this post and maybe a weeks notice to contact you. failing that naming the said persons may be the only way to track them down.

Keep us posted mate.
Old 26 March 2008, 02:14 AM
solosteve
Scooby Regular

right mate here's the out come,

get his visa bill ie the card holders copys
or pin copy..

.................................................. ..............

ive just editd this post as i,
dont know either partie involved

and it would be wrong for me to tell
how this person should go about it..

i know and can help free of charge
if its needed please let me know

sorry ive removed

steve

did postfull details here, but it may leave others
open for fruad and i dont fanct that..

Last edited by solosteve; 26 March 2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 26 March 2008, 02:48 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

goods or services not payed for, contact a debt collection agency, **** up his credit rating.
Old 26 March 2008, 02:54 AM
solosteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
goods or services not payed for, contact a debt collection agency, **** up his credit rating.
that dont do it mate,
its only things on hpi or higher rate browring and it
would take months to show as sevices are bought in credit
and it cost his the comany to do this also.

steve
Old 26 March 2008, 09:20 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the customer is being a right pikey - we're not talking about thousands here, and he was expecting to have to pay £205, so how would it hurt him to sort it out.

I bet he would be on every forum screaming about how he had been ripped off if the garage had accidentally charged him £200 too much !

I disagree with the points on here about people keeping the money - if a shopkeeper gives me too much change and I notice, I give it back. I'm not that sly that I try and benefit from other peoples mistakes.

I would say name and shame on here as they are obviously deliberately ignoring you hoping you'll go away.
Old 26 March 2008, 09:52 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

I would be taking steps to recover the money. He has an outstanding bill to pay. Send a bill recorded delivery to his house then take what ever steps you can legally to recover the money.

Then name and shame on all forums not the sort of person the forum wants to have

Or (not advised way but it will work) go visit some pikeys and ask them to get it and you will give them half. Bet they get it
Old 26 March 2008, 10:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd say chase him. Or out him on here......anyone fancy another thread like the one with Hightee?

TBH, honest traders are absolutely priceless, and believe me, I know: I was FULLY re-imbursed by David at API for something that turned out not to be his fault in any way, but he wasn't about to see a customer out £600+, and risked taking the loss himself.

You did nowt WRONG mate, just made a mistake, go for it.

Alcazar
Old 26 March 2008, 11:21 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Not paying for goods or services = theft

speak to the Police, especially as you have many a contact detail for him.

I agree with the running away from the bar analogy, ok sometimes you might get an extra fiver and yes you might just see it as a bit of good fortune but if the barman says that they gave you the wrong change and you do a runner the least you should expect is a kicking off a bouncer. Bad behaviour on behalf of the customer.

5t.
Old 26 March 2008, 11:32 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not sure if you'll get anywhere with the police.

The person did pay for the goods but it was you that didn't put in the right amount. So it could be argued the person didn't steal anything. It was paid for albeit the wrong amount.

Whether what the customer is doing by not paying the true amount is legal or not I'm not sure.

As it was your mistake, as a boss, I would take it out of your wages if the customer didn't pay up. I know its tough but thats business I'm afraid.

If a bank undercharged you what would you do?

If a restaurant forgot to add a bottle of wine to your bill what would you do?

If you were building a relationship with a garage who you trusted to look after your car what would you do?
Old 26 March 2008, 11:55 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

right guys sorry to say this but

it was a mistake of the OP, i have ran many shops in the past and it is the sellers loss.
in a perfect world the buyer would realise and come in to settle the rest but as we all know we do not live in a perfect world and as said already if a restaurant leaves something off the bill how many of us have the bill corrected, not many and not me but if it were with a garage that i respected and wanted to use time and time again then yes i would pay the difference, so it comes down to the individual.
there is no poin tin telling the police as it is the OP mistake, it is not theft, naming and shaming no real point as most who would no the individual would most likely have the attitude of '' their mess up your gain etc etc'
and lastly were we not here not soo long ago over a garage damaging a customers car and after all the hype with name and shame the garage did not most if not all peoples opinions change when we found out who it was!
i know the guy has ''not returned emails pm etc etc'' but b4 you point fingers lets see if he/she has got it in them to say thier bit
Old 26 March 2008, 12:01 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmooro
if ya posted a mistake or not .it is good will that will get ya money back .

if a bank under charged ya 200 £ would ya moan ? orwould ya ask em them to take the right amount

if ya was a normal person in a bar as some one said would ya give the change back from a 20£ instead of a 10 £

if ya posted wrong and ya invoiced wrong and he paid and ya accepted .

sorry ya got no call to moan .i know it sounds harse but a costly lesson learnt

ya now 200 quid down .

try the sob story and see if my kids will eat egg and chipps etc .but i think it wont work
WTF?
Old 26 March 2008, 12:17 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
WTF?
Yeah, reading that one hurt.

Well heres my take. I go to a noodle bar often, the owners know I come in loads and we get on ok.

Last Friday I had two pints and noodles. The bill only had 1 pint listed. When the waitress came up with the payment terminal I told her that they didnt charge me for the second pint. Why did I own up? Because I go there all the time, they are a great bunch who do good food, and I always get extras (prawn crackers etc).

So I owned up, she said "ah thanks for pointing that out, but you can have it free anyway because your honest". I thought that was cool.

If it was some random pub and I got more change of course I wouldnt own up.

What I am trying to say in an overly long-winded way is that if its a Garage that I use alot and trust with my car I would go back and pay the missing, if I dont I have to avoid them for the rest of my life and take my car elsewhere - too much hassle.

My local garage invited me for burgers on their bbq last summer while my car was being serviced, great bunch and if they undercharged me like that I would own up.

Maybe I'm too honest?

Last edited by Ryo; 26 March 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 26 March 2008, 12:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh i think that the customer obviously knows he/she is in the wrong, should be a man and step up and pay whats owed, if it were the other way round you'd refund the extra, so why not that way round?
Old 26 March 2008, 12:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

To all those saying it is the shops problem. How is it different to this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?p=8732625

or electricity companies reading the meter wrong, under charging then clawing it back or the revenue under charging your tax? they all claim it back off you....

EDIT: Apprently the fee was agreed so you can legally just claim it off the credit card

Undercharged on my credit card - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

5t

Last edited by fivetide; 26 March 2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 26 March 2008, 02:27 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

fee agreed in person no writting woudl not like the chances.

as RYO said if it were somewhere i used such as subaru4you then i would pay the difference, if it were my local suabru stealers and the server messed up sorry the companies loss, same as my local pub if they missed anything off at the end of the night i would let tme know but if i went to soemwhere i have never been b4 and would not be going back then again thier loss.

but i do think that the person should answer thier mail, pick up the phoen and have some guts rather than hoping it will all go away
Old 26 March 2008, 05:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stevie1982
over a garage damaging a customers car and after all the hype with name and shame the garage did not most if not all peoples opinions change when we found out who it was!
Did it come out who the garage was then? I missed who it was - was it someone reputable on here?
Old 26 March 2008, 05:50 PM
rjstacey
Scooby Regular

From what I know, if you've invoiced him for £205 and he's only paid £5, regardless of who's fault it is then he has to pay the balance. I've had this where a garage typed in £2 for fuel instead of £20, didn't notice at the time but I had to pay the balance. Same thing applies. As long as you've got copies of the invoice for goods and services rendered.
HTH
Rob
Old 26 March 2008, 06:02 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

personally, if I had managed to get some work for a lower price than expected, then I would be thankful
HOWEVER.......if said business actually caught up with me immediately, then I would pay the balance without question
it may not TECHNICALLY be theft...but its as near as dammit
Old 26 March 2008, 06:32 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjstacey
From what I know, if you've invoiced him for £205 and he's only paid £5, regardless of who's fault it is then he has to pay the balance. I've had this where a garage typed in £2 for fuel instead of £20, didn't notice at the time but I had to pay the balance. Same thing applies. As long as you've got copies of the invoice for goods and services rendered.
HTH
Rob
you have hit the nail on the head

if he has been invoiced, he will have an account with the garage. He has paid £5 off that account balance so he still has £200 to pay

BTW did he sign for the work done?