Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion kits and police?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2008, 10:35 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID Conversion kits and police?

I know a few of us have HID conversion kits so I just wanted to find out if anybody has had any problems with the police?
Old 25 March 2008, 10:38 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I was stopped yesterday (had my paperwork ready so was treated very well by the traffic cops), asked one of the officers about the front lights and he said as long as they were MOT worthy (E marked) and were operating correctly then there is no issue.

I was advised if the police officers believe the light being emitted is inadequate for the situation then you can penalized for it (didn't say what/how much etc).

I have Xenon HID bulbs fitted, both standard and main beam lights are tinted blue (quite an obvious blue/whitish light).
Old 25 March 2008, 10:40 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

what's E-Marked?
Old 25 March 2008, 10:52 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Think you'll find that under constructions and use regulations (not sure which section), but you "could" be prosecuted. BUt don't think you'll find anyone who knows enough about it to prosecute.
The only reason I'm saying this is that i seem to remember when I did my training that HID headlights have to have a self levelling device fitted (or retro-fitted) under ec regs.
However I do stand to be corrected.
Old 25 March 2008, 11:00 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Think you'll find that under constructions and use regulations (not sure which section), but you "could" be prosecuted. BUt don't think you'll find anyone who knows enough about it to prosecute.
The only reason I'm saying this is that i seem to remember when I did my training that HID headlights have to have a self levelling device fitted (or retro-fitted) under ec regs.
However I do stand to be corrected.
True true, it's all a grey area at the moment so like other offenses one day you hear nothing about it and the next you get warned/prosecuted.

E-Marked is a stamp/sticker/print you find on various head + tail light components. It's supposed to say the parts are built to some european/whatever standard so meet/exceed the requirements of a test like the MOT but I have seen eBay crap with fake marks so best to get good kits from reputable suppliers.
Old 26 March 2008, 09:37 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I think officially they are supposed to have auto-levelling and washers. That's what you get on OE versions but for aftermarket versions, they generally label them "off-road use only."

I used to have a set of HID bulbs in my bugeye and then upgraded them to the full JDM STi version - best set of lights I've had. I wasn't stopped but if you were I guess it would only be on beam alignment or they'd have to know their onions to get you on the detail.
Old 26 March 2008, 10:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How strange...........a thread about HID aftermarket kits, and Bob5 HASN'T posted on it...........

Or IS it strange................?

Alcazar
Old 26 March 2008, 10:56 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

Default .

anyone for popcorn
Old 26 March 2008, 12:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Ray: Not had anyone from the GB have any problems with any of our kits. Mine have been on my daily driver for over 17months, again without issue.

Buy a decent kit and a sensible colour - I always recommend 4300k (pure white) as thats what I run in mine, but 6k (white with a blue tint) is the most popular.

ScoobyNet Group Buy Specials - HIDs (Xenon) Lighting Kits

Bob
Old 26 March 2008, 01:31 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine on my 93wrx for the last 4½years (was already on it when imported) SVA didn't like them so had to change to normal lights.
Been stopped by the Police once and that was because one of them asn't working
Old 26 March 2008, 02:00 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How strange...........a thread about HID aftermarket kits, and Bob5 HASN'T posted on it...........

Or IS it strange................?

Alcazar
No, you just got up a bit earlier than Bob5

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Hi Ray: Not had anyone from the GB have any problems with any of our kits. Mine have been on my daily driver for over 17months, again without issue.

Buy a decent kit and a sensible colour - I always recommend 4300k (pure white) as thats what I run in mine, but 6k (white with a blue tint) is the most popular.

Bob
Well since thinking about these myself, its amazing how many after market HID's you see fitted in the local chav mobiles, blinding everybody in sight. OK they may not be the same standard fittings as Bob5 has in GB but, it cant be long before theres a crack down on them. Some of them are fukcnig dangerous in my opinion and I cant see The Bill being able to make a distinction.

I remember loads of guys buying the clear rear lights for their 4x4's in another forum I use......wasn't long after. "I Got pulled by the plod this weekend" etc etc.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:14 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
No, you just got up a bit earlier than Bob5

"I remember loads of guys buying the clear rear lights for their 4x4's in another forum I use......wasn't long after. "I Got pulled by the plod this weekend" etc etc.

Funny - I've recently come to the conclusion that the only HIDS that dazzle on a regular basis are those on Range Rovers.