Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are We All Used To The £1:17 /Litre Petrol Now?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2008, 09:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are We All Used To The £1:17 /Litre Petrol Now?

Because it's just not stopping is it??

Everyday another 1p is added and no-one seems to be complaining too much - when it was £1 a Litre the lorry drivers and Farmers took action.

Have we all got just too lazy or resigned to the fact? Or is it more to do with the fact that it's external driving forces at work?

Surely someone is going to start screaming soon? And it will be like someone screaming on a 747 - everyone will join in!!!!!
Old 25 March 2008, 09:19 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is, in this country there are too many people who just bend over and take it. Then the people who do "try" to do something about it are just a minority so don't then have a big enough impact to make any difference.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:21 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

everyones too lazy to do somthing about it.

im just waiting for the end of the year when its £1.25 a litre
in fact i cant wait! cant we pay it now?
Old 25 March 2008, 09:22 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

people have money (all be it less) in the pocket at the moment and so don't complain. if a recession hits and redundancies go through the roof then there will be more anger directed at things like petrol prices. until then we will all keep paying like sheep.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:33 PM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Whats the big deal? Someone posted a thread and said something along the lines "if your worried about the running costs then you cant afford the car". Get a push bike if the petrol prices are causing you concern.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:40 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The problem with us Brits is, we all want something done about Petrol prices, but are too lazy to do anything ourselves. Let someone else do it. But don't inconvenient me in the process.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:40 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

thats not really the point is it......we can all probably afford to pay these prices, but why should we stand for such increases month after month....when the rest of europe is paying a lot less...and the most of the increase is not on the actual petrol but on the tax going to the bloody government.......
Old 25 March 2008, 09:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by klidder
Whats the big deal? Someone posted a thread and said something along the lines "if your worried about the running costs then you cant afford the car". Get a push bike if the petrol prices are causing you concern.
W*nker.

Years ago Diesel was far cheeper than Petrol. More people bought Diesel cars, so the Government started losing revenue. Tax was raised on diesel.

If we all went out and bought cars that did 60mpg. Petrol tax would double in a very short time. OK the current prices have little to do with the Government (oil prices) but the underlining facts are that the Government are making Millions extra every day because of the oil price increases. We are over taxed on Petrol. Full stop. Come August and they'll be putting another 2p a litre on the Tax.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:53 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Wait till hydrogen cars come out properly whats going to replace the fuel tax then a bottle of water will be £3 in no time
Bet you can’t get it from your tap like you do now be some story why the pipes dry up and bottles / water stations the only way
Then there will be the droughts so we have to pay even more for it but it doesn’t go down when it rains again.
And it will become illegal to collect rain water too
Old 25 March 2008, 09:54 PM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
W*nker.

Years ago Diesel was far cheeper than Petrol. More people bought Diesel cars, so the Government started losing revenue. Tax was raised on diesel.

If we all went out and bought cars that did 60mpg. Petrol tax would double in a very short time. OK the current prices have little to do with the Government (oil prices) but the underlining facts are that the Government are making Millions extra every day because of the oil price increases. We are over taxed on Petrol. Full stop. Come August and they'll be putting another 2p a litre on the Tax.

W*anker? Why? Why dont you go and have a word with Mr Darling? That way you may not need to remortgage your house come August in order to top your tank up! Petrol prices wont decrease so stop whinging like a fat woman who wants to lose weight.
Old 25 March 2008, 10:20 PM
ruislip
Scooby Regular

klidder YOUR A DICK....!
Old 25 March 2008, 10:22 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Petrol prices and council tax p1ss me off no end
Old 25 March 2008, 10:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

My Police Force has increased their take from me by 38%!!!!!!!!

What for?? Sitting in a blacked-out cameravan snapping everyone travelling downhill at 36MPH!!
Old 25 March 2008, 10:30 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

this whole country sucks *** cheese ,it used to be 1 of the greatest country's in the world now look at it expensive as **** and full of immigrants who get free road tax and dont pay insurance im looking into going to america or the land down under .
and as above who ever said get a bike i have a bike and i bike to work not because i cannot afford the petrol but i get home quicker and i prefer the extra £5 to fill up in my pocket which has been about £5 everytime its shot right up so about £15 by now

Old 25 March 2008, 10:31 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile simple sollution

Start doing drive offs f... it they robbing u rob them back
Old 25 March 2008, 10:32 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
My Police Force has increased their take from me by 38%!!!!!!!!

What for?? Sitting in a blacked-out cameravan snapping everyone travelling downhill at 36MPH!!

The police and the rubbish collecting gestapo are a waste of ferking space. I remember the good old days when the bin men did exactly that, empty your bins. Now if they consider a bag to be over 25kg's they leave it

I remember as a kid our 70 year old coal man lugging a 50kg bag of coal on his shoulder, yet 2 fully grown men cannot carry half this weight, due to elf and safety
Old 25 March 2008, 10:34 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile lmao

Originally Posted by kingofturds
The police and the rubbish collecting gestapo are a waste of ferking space. I remember the good old days when the bin men did exactly that, empty your bins. Now if they consider a bag to be over 25kg's they leave it

I remember as a kid our 70 year old coal man lugging a 50kg bag of coal on his shoulder, yet 2 fully grown men cannot carry half this weight, due to elf and safety

(QUOTE) due to elf lmaolmao
Old 25 March 2008, 11:07 PM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ruislip
klidder YOUR A DICK....!
lol another one who is going into overdraft because he cant afford to run his banger. At least you still got that council house....that's cheap enough! Silly ****
Old 25 March 2008, 11:17 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by klidder
lol another one who is going into overdraft because he cant afford to run his banger. At least you still got that council house....that's cheap enough! Silly ****
Your not making any friends tonight are you m8
Old 25 March 2008, 11:24 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

I think we will have to suffer this until we can vote in another government.
I expect one of the reasons the next governments will get in will be a promise to reduce all these shadow taxes.

Also im pretty sure that if the truckers take to the streets again and blockade the oil production/supply they can be instantly arrested as the gov introduced a new law after they did it last time. Something about it causing a risk to public safety since the emergency services couldn't fill up either.
( I could be wrong but thats what i was told )
So most truckers/people are not going to risk prison time to try and get petrol down to normal again.

This is the highest price is has ever been even and it will continue to go up..
They have us over a barrel, we have to get petrol and its now illegal to do the only thing that ever made a difference and blockade.
All the slow drives on major motor ways etc just annoy a few thousand people and make something for Sky news to report about for a day.. The second it clears i am sure the government just sit back in their Jags and LOL.

One of the environmental ministers actually tried to get the fatcat MP's to chop in their Jags and replace them with Toyota Prias's . . . That lasted about a morning in the papers and was forgotten.

Short of a Civil war in the UK i think we are just gonna have less to pay on Mods .. sniff..

Their other argument about putting up the pricing on petrol and high performance cars to force us to be better to the environment is great other than even if we drove around in cars powered entirely by love it would make sweet FA difference to the global environment as up and coming countries such as China and India are not doing a thing.. And that is where a majority of the pollution is and will come from. ( Dont forget the US, but American bashing is just so easy )

Vash
Old 25 March 2008, 11:30 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

It's not just the fuel prices, everything is going up and new (or reinveted) taxes are being introduced.

There is so much going on I genuinely think most of the general public (me included) are either put off taking serious notice at some of these issues or just perplexed by the all the hikes (so you don't know what to complain about and just take it as the norm).

It is rediculous the rate at which we are being leeched for our money but it's just an inevitble fact of the current world climate (and the global warming is a joke, global cooling more like). With the financial establishments feeling the brunt of a world wide slump in econmic value (and the $ is feeling most of the flack) everything is very unstable.

So prices go up to cover any eventualities regardless.. most of it is now so complex that even the very people within the goverment, business and financial markets don't fully understand what they work with to get an idea of any or all of the problems (and as such deal with).

So you have people like Mr Darling who have a narrow focused view of the problem ahead of them and they try to deal with in a reactive way (which is not proactive).

Best thing to do is be honest with yourself and ask if you can afford to maintain XYZ thing, if not then it's time to move on/be conservative/turn into a hippy etc.

I have worked out at my current financial level (which is average like everyone else) I can afford to keep my habits like my car but only until end of the year, then I will have to just 'down size' my style of living a little until I am comfortable.

Or worst case I will make a computer chair out of an STi driver seat
Old 26 March 2008, 12:10 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scatty
thats not really the point is it......we can all probably afford to pay these prices
For some, maybe, but most will make economies elsewhere (i.e. less meals out a month, less takeaways, less CD/DVDs, cheaper food and so on)
rest of europe is paying a lot less...
Wrong. While much of eastern europe is cheaper (90p-£1 per litre), western europe is about the same, about 6/7 of them pay more than the UK! For example, Norway is far higher than us. We are about in the middle of western europe for petrol prices. We are 3rd highest for Diesel tho.
and the most of the increase is not on the actual petrol but on the tax going to the bloody government.......
Wrong again, most of the rising costs is due to the price of oil. Of the rising costs, 17.5% will be the VAT and the 2p duty rise isn't due for another 6 months.

Anyway, petrol/counciltax/water/oil/gas/electric/mortgage prices rising will all affect the economy. The more we spend on these, the less we spend on the other things in life. This will affect all those who's livelyhoods depend on this (i.e. just about everyone!). For example the local restaurant that closes as less people eating out, the local mechanic who has less business as people decide not to fix those niggly problems and live with it, the local shops as people economise more at tesco. The list really is endless, everyone gets affected, how much and to what degree remains to be seen.
Old 26 March 2008, 12:10 AM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Theres, no need to do any blockades, If everyone parked there cars up for a week and refused to use them that would have the desired effect, no one filling up there cars, public transport would buckle , very little trade in shops etc.etc, if the robbing Labour ******* want less useage, lets help them out.
Its funny how mp's are trying to block there expenses being publicised tonights !!

Deano
Old 26 March 2008, 12:38 AM
scatty
Scooby Regular

but what do we do about it.......NOTHING......
Old 26 March 2008, 12:52 AM
beanys
Scooby Regular

one thing to do at first is to boycott the companys that charge the highest amount for there fuel, and yes i know that means giong to a supermarket as they are normally cheapest but WE HAVE TO START SOME WERE,
beanys
Old 26 March 2008, 01:04 AM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

And while we moan about petrol prices going ever higher, half of the world hasn't enough food for today, let alone tomorrow. Our comfortable lifestyles are only possible because of others' deprivation.

Sometimes we need to stop for a moment and just think about what we've got and what others haven't.

Infract me if you want. It's the truth that hurts, not petrol prices.

Get a Grip
Old 26 March 2008, 01:43 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

The trouble is that the value of your car has/will plumet (sp?) as will all the Band G cars or indeed Band Whatever come 2009. They've fooked us all by winding the car tax increases back to cars regd in 2001 + these fuel hikes will hurt values too I'm not best pleased

TX.

Edit - see your car is MY00 so you're safe ... for now! Unless of course it was imported after 2001?

Originally Posted by finalzero
I have worked out at my current financial level (which is average like everyone else) I can afford to keep my habits like my car but only until end of the year, then I will have to just 'down size' my style of living a little until I am comfortable.

Last edited by Terminator X; 26 March 2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 26 March 2008, 10:12 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I filled the diesel up in London yesterday at a price of 121.9 its almost like fuel prices are going up daily.Its getting a bit like the house price boom when it is going to slow down
Old 26 March 2008, 01:16 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

thats not really the point is it......we can all probably afford to pay these prices, but why should we stand for such increases month after month....when the rest of europe is paying a lot less...and the most of the increase is not on the actual petrol but on the tax going to the bloody government.......
Contrary to popular believe Europe is not paying a lot less than you, V-power is currently €1.53.9 a litre here which is currently £1.21 a litre so stop bleating about how much better europe is and how hard done by you island monkies are.
Old 26 March 2008, 01:20 PM
spleenmachine
Scooby Regular

V-Power is £1.09.9 up in sunderland.

My girlfriend pays £1.05.9 for TOTAL unleaded, so I think V-Powers not that bad a price compared to the "normal" petrol at the min.

Quick Reply: Are We All Used To The £1:17 /Litre Petrol Now?