classic induction kits

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 06:31 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic induction kits

been looking at this on the bay..

01-05 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT on eBay, also, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 22-Mar-08 21:31:20 GMT)

has anyone ever seen these for a classic? or is there a reason why they only do em for new age motors??
Old 18 March 2008, 07:36 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you have a FMIC, it's not worth it TBH. If you really want one then i'd stick to a make which you know will actually filter the air, ie:- K&n
Old 18 March 2008, 08:18 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

'Unless you have a FMIC, it's not worth it TBH'

im sick of seeing this reply to induction questions, are you all sheep? no body dare get rid of the airbox....?

surely having an air filter in the inner wing is just as good as the airbox, if not better
Old 18 March 2008, 08:34 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't like the answer to the questions on Scoobynet then sod off else where
I am speaking from experience. I had my Classic for over 6 year and had an induction kit on for 5 of those - i only had a FMIC on the car for the last two years i owned it.
My filter was shielded from the heat from the engine bay and had a cold air feed from the front of the car - now the good bit, listen carefully - the money and time i put into fitting the induction kit was wasted as it did precisely nothing for the way the car drove.
As i'm a sheep, i'm sure you will choose to ignore the experience i have gained through doing what you have planned - but hell, don't listen to me, listen to many of the other sheep who have way more experience than me - some of which probably have way more power that i ever had and way more than you ever will..............
Old 18 March 2008, 08:47 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarnyboy
'Unless you have a FMIC, it's not worth it TBH'

im sick of seeing this reply to induction questions, are you all sheep? no body dare get rid of the airbox....?

surely having an air filter in the inner wing is just as good as the airbox, if not better

its been RR'ed that the kit wont make you any ponies, and that kit is available for the classics, but if you put an induction kit on your classic, the only thing you will get is noise.

also depends on which classic you have but if you have a 99/00 like me, the induction kit will just kill your MAF quicker.

last thing... if you say you are "sick of seeing this reply to induction questions, are you all sheep? no body dare get rid of the airbox....?"

the only one reason why everyone is giving you the exact same advice is .... wait for it......... because he and everyone else are RIGHT!! you are advised to save your money for something else, unless you are like me and you got yourself a blitz/hks filter for free, then you're better of saving your £100 or whatever on something else.
Old 18 March 2008, 09:17 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

to be fair the kit he has shown is ment to go in the inner wing which is the ideal place for it, half the problems with induction kits is there placement in the engine bay drawing in too much hot air, another problem is oily filters, buy by all means but i'd be tempted to replce the filter for a k&n variant.
Old 18 March 2008, 09:38 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

been looking at this on the bay..

01-05 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT on eBay, also, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 22-Mar-08 21:31:20 GMT)

has anyone ever seen these for a classic? or is there a reason why they only do em for new age motors??

Cheap cr@p with cheap cr@p air filter.......would'nt fit that to my car. Why are people obsessed with IK's???

If you are going fit one in needs enclosing to stop heat getting to it and a cold air feed runing to it.....oh yeah that would be an air box with a filter in it just like Subaru fit
Old 18 March 2008, 09:41 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
If you don't like the answer to the questions on Scoobynet then sod off else where
I am speaking from experience. I had my Classic for over 6 year and had an induction kit on for 5 of those - i only had a FMIC on the car for the last two years i owned it.
My filter was shielded from the heat from the engine bay and had a cold air feed from the front of the car - now the good bit, listen carefully - the money and time i put into fitting the induction kit was wasted as it did precisely nothing for the way the car drove.
As i'm a sheep, i'm sure you will choose to ignore the experience i have gained through doing what you have planned - but hell, don't listen to me, listen to many of the other sheep who have way more experience than me - some of which probably have way more power that i ever had and way more than you ever will..............
Brun I have soom wellies and velcro gloves if your free for ten mins we could..............
Old 18 March 2008, 10:01 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey
to be fair the kit he has shown is ment to go in the inner wing which is the ideal place for it, half the problems with induction kits is there placement in the engine bay drawing in too much hot air, another problem is oily filters, buy by all means but i'd be tempted to replce the filter for a k&n variant.
thankyou, nobody else took the time to actually look at what im asking PROPERLY,

in the inner wing (ie, not under the bonnet) where there is ONLY COLD AIR...?

and

all this scare mongering about MAF sensors, as long as it is secured correctly , it will not be any more at risk than if it was bolted to the plastic air box lid,

Old 18 March 2008, 10:04 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Cheap cr@p with cheap cr@p air filter.......would'nt fit that to my car. Why are people obsessed with IK's???

If you are going fit one in needs enclosing to stop heat getting to it and a cold air feed runing to it.....oh yeah that would be an air box with a filter in it just like Subaru fit

it would be enclosed in the inner wing? lots of cold air,,

i realise that that particular kit is cheap crap, i was asking about the principle
Old 18 March 2008, 10:30 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

it would be enclosed in the inner wing? lots of cold air,,

i realise that that particular kit is cheap crap, i was asking about the principle

In principle it would work yes, but not really worth the hassle/cost. I cannot see how that kit even with a good filter would out perform and good filter in an oe air box.

As far as I'm aware it's the later mafs that have an issue with IK's, the older ones seem a bit stronger. I have had an IK fitted for over 2 years with issues. I would rather run an oe box but the FM does not allow this although I am now mafless

I am having make some kind of cold air feed and an enclosure for the filter as it pulls in lots of hot air which drops the power a tad.
Old 18 March 2008, 10:44 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
In principle it would work yes, but not really worth the hassle/cost. I cannot see how that kit even with a good filter would out perform and good filter in an oe air box.

As far as I'm aware it's the later mafs that have an issue with IK's, the older ones seem a bit stronger. I have had an IK fitted for over 2 years with issues. I would rather run an oe box but the FM does not allow this although I am now mafless

I am having make some kind of cold air feed and an enclosure for the filter as it pulls in lots of hot air which drops the power a tad.
thanks for a good, reasonable, piece of advice.

the reason i am so set on running with an induction cone is because i also run with no dump valve cos i prefer the sound of turbo stall / surge whatever you wish to call it, (i miss my cosworth ) so im thinking that trying to mount it in the cool air flow of the wing would be favourable to having it under the bonnet

also, i only use my car of an evening to do straight runs to my GF's house or whatever, so no 'round town' driving, so not much chance for major heat build up under the bonnet

Old 18 March 2008, 10:49 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember a test somewhere, possibly in scooby mag, where they tested all sorts of filter and induction kits. IIRC the STi panel filter was the best performing
Old 18 March 2008, 10:51 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by tiny gsy
I seem to remember a test somewhere, possibly in scooby mag, where they tested all sorts of filter and induction kits. IIRC the STi panel filter was the best performing
actually it come out the worst!
Old 18 March 2008, 10:56 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

thats definitely not how I remember it being. I don`t suppose anyone`s got the article
Old 18 March 2008, 11:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Sarnyboy, I use an APS cold air kit on my MY98 WRX.

The reason I fitted it was purely to get cold air from the inner wing area. This in itself does not give extra power, but the consistent cooler air maintains the power that would be robbed by high underbonnet temps. Alot of other things need addressing in order to maintain the power levels, such as wrapped exhausts, decent airflow to IC, radiator shrouds, inlet manifold spacers etc etc.

If you put all of these things together then you will see the benefits.

Induction kit on its own, you probably wont see an improvement.

Also, the MAF, via ECU MAP, will need adjusting to get the correct operation if the airlfow is altered or disturbed. The MAF can fail with these kits IF it is allowed to move/vibrate or the filter isn't of a type that filters correctly (cheap stuff).

Wayne.
Old 19 March 2008, 12:42 AM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

im not really after more power, i did say that above..

i also made the point about maf vibration
Old 19 March 2008, 12:42 AM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

where did you get the aps 1998 kit???
Old 19 March 2008, 09:50 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

im not really after more power, i did say that above..

i also made the point about maf vibration

Sorry, didn't see that above.

So what is the point of having one if its not for more power? For the noise? If so I have wasted my time on this thread.

The APS was from G-Force motorsport.

Wayne

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 19 March 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 19 March 2008, 10:12 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If you want cold air from the inner wing, just remove the trunking and seal (sticky backed foam) the stock airbox to the inner wing, bingo, total cost about a fiver! (and thats £2 for the celebratery pint afterwards!)

Simon
Old 19 March 2008, 10:55 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mew

its been RR'ed that the kit wont make you any ponies, and that kit is available for the classics, but if you put an induction kit on your classic, the only thing you will get is noise.

also depends on which classic you have but if you have a 99/00 like me, the induction kit will just kill your MAF quicker.

last thing... if you say you are "sick of seeing this reply to induction questions, are you all sheep? no body dare get rid of the airbox....?"

the only one reason why everyone is giving you the exact same advice is .... wait for it......... because he and everyone else are RIGHT!! you are advised to save your money for something else, unless you are like me and you got yourself a blitz/hks filter for free, then you're better of saving your £100 or whatever on something else.

Read pages 10 to 13 ish, you will see by fitting the induction kit the car is actually 5 bhp down on the standard air box with K&N panel!
That sheep enough for ya??

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ge-1-a-10.html

Last edited by Glowplug; 19 March 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:14 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the MAIN reason for MAF failure wasn't vibration, but the poor filtration of the air and oily residue from cone filters which build up gunge on the fine wire in the MAF sensor, leading to it overheating and being destroyed.?

I know I was told something similar by two very reputable tuners, and only fitted an IK after I had the MAF removed due to using a LINK ecu.

Alcazar
Old 19 March 2008, 01:43 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Main reason for MAF failure is they were cack, but they aren't help if a filter is over oiled, be it IK's or drop in panels....
Old 19 March 2008, 01:55 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

thankyou, nobody else took the time to actually look at what im asking PROPERLY,

in the inner wing (ie, not under the bonnet) where there is ONLY COLD AIR...?

and

all this scare mongering about MAF sensors, as long as it is secured correctly , it will not be any more at risk than if it was bolted to the plastic air box lid,

No, it's over oiled IK that ***** them up!
Old 19 March 2008, 01:55 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Soz rookie, didn't see your reply!!