Sponsored by:

STi Value??

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2008, 11:40 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi Value??

Ok, just having a wee think at the moment.. but considering getting rid of my Impreza.

Main reason is a genuine lack of use, the first few months I had the car I did 5k miles in it.. but its just touching 12 months old and 8k miles now and is getting used less and less.

The trigger for this is the Road Tax reminder, got me thinking about how much I would actually use the £300 charge over the next 12 months. I grudge paying for the priviledge to use our pothole/speedbump infested streets at the best of times, but with only a few thousand miles it becomes more irritating. Maybe thats just me though!!

The car is the best overall package that I've owned and does everything so damn well and since I've done a couple of wee tweaks visually, I'm extremely happy with the way it looks too..... so if I dont get any bites at it, then I'll just keep it and throw a couple of Whiteline bits at it over the next year and it'll be totally finished off.

2007 '07' Impreza STi Spec-D
Crystal Grey
8,000 miles
Full Subaru History (Due annual service in April, which will be done @ Subaru too)
Always run on V-Power or Tesco 99
Never seen a track
Washed and Polished using quality products
Really well known car/owner in the Owners Club, true Subaru Enthusiast, this car being my 5th Impreza

Engine:

Green Panel Filter in Stock Airbox, resonator removed & cold air feed from front bumper
Wrapped Custom 3" Meercat Exhaust System with PPP-Style Tailpipe
Walboro 255 lp/hr Fuel Pump
EcuTek Remap by Andy Forrest (andyforrestperformance.com)

Exterior:

18" Rota Alloys in Bronze with Goodyear Eagle F1 Tyres
Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Foglights Removed & Cold Air Intake from Drivers Side & STi Foglight Cover on Passenger Side
STi V-Limited Style Front Lip Spoiler

Interior:

Full Black Leather Interior
Centre 3x60mm Gauge Pod
Defi Amber BF 60mm Boost Pressure Gauge
Defi Amber BF 60mm Oil Temperature Gauge
Defi Amber BF 60mm Oil Pressure Gauge
Defi Controller II (Adjustable Brightness, Peak, Record Facility etc)
Pioneer iPod/MP3/Bluetooth Stereo inc Microphone for Phone Hands-Free
Smartnav Sat-Nav (2 months remaining subscription, extendable)
Tracker

Spares:

17" STi Wheels and RE070 Tyres, c750miles use
Clock & Surround (from Defi Fitting)
Standard Exhaust System
Standard Panel Filter
Standard STi Springs
Foglights and Surrounds

Sorry for the depth I've gone into, but I had a bit of spare time so thought I'd type it all out.... and will just copy and paste this into a For Sale advert.

I'm looking to see how much you think I should stick this car up for, I've seen various different values being put up, 16-17k all the way to 21k which is slightly steep IMO.. so not sure where I should pitch this car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 11 March 2008, 11:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bit of a nightmare to sell I would imagine in terms of getting a reasonable price. TBH I use mine 2k miles a year, since last July I have done 1,200. I had the tax through today and £300 made me think about what I could buy for the classic for £300. I think £17k is the best you could hope for TBH selling in a reasonable time.

Group buy on Spec-D's anyone
Old 12 March 2008, 12:01 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont sell Grant, you'll regret it
Old 12 March 2008, 12:32 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Definitely a bad time to sell a gas guzzler like this at present, what with the budget reminding people about band G, sky-high petrol prices, and general all-round gloom over the economy...

I only do around 4000 miles a year in my STI, but it's well worth the costs involved IMO. Whenever I get it out of the garage it puts a smile on my face. I think that if you can comfortably afford to keep it then you should. As you said: "The car is the best overall package that I've owned and does everything so damn well"!
Old 12 March 2008, 12:41 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Nice car and a shame to sell... you'd be looking between £16-£17k mate.

I only do around 8000 miles a year myself and like you have considered selling and buying an older car for lower road tax... but gonna stick with the D for now given the money already invested in it... plus it does put a smile on my face.

If you do sell though, consider selling those wheels to me seperately
Old 12 March 2008, 01:49 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about 18k price tag for it so similar(ish) to the general view here...

Its not the Road Tax thats the reason for it, end of the day, I knew it was going to be £300 a year minimum when I bought the car. Just got me thinking when it dropped through the letterbox, with the reduced level of use and the continuous level of depreciation being unavoidable I'm just weighing up the alternatives really, both along the lines of 4 wheels and also 4 walls.

I might stick it up on Pistonheads and see if I get any interest... like I said, I wont even consider giving the car away for less than I think its worth and I'm quite happy to keep the car for a while longer as I planned to do when I bought it last year.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12 March 2008, 02:00 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Grant,

I've been having similar quandaries wondering what to do and have also done around 8k miles in mine.

I've decided to add a barge to my fleet for the long m'way journeys and keep the Scoob. I was thinking of chopping it in and getting something else, but having seen the p/x price offerred, refused to let it go. I should think it'd be tricky to sell too now due to all the "road tax" rubbish. Best option for me I've decided is to keep it and have fun in it until it no longer becomes economically viable....which may be some time.

But here's an idea... Between us, could we not drive up the prices of our limited edition spec.D's and ask £22k+ for them..? After all, there are only 300 spec.D's and once other owners see what some of "us" are asking, they'll ask the same, thereby lifting the used price of a spec.D...!!

Cue the heated discussions.....

PS: Lovely car and some very tasteful mods. Hope if you decide to let it go that it goes to a similar owner.
Old 12 March 2008, 02:33 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Haha, there does seem to be a few Spec-D Owners on here... so its logical to think we could drive the prices up ourselves. All for one, and one for all.

I've stuck it up on PH, but added nearly a grand to the price that I initially thought of after I remembered what I've spent on it so far.. plus, I'm not really too concerned if it goes or not, so it may well chance my arm and let it drift to the bottom of the PH classifieds.

Thankyou for the comments on the car too.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12 March 2008, 10:12 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Surely you're not prepared to lose thousands in depreciation over paying a few extra pounds in road tax.
Ok, change the car, get something cheaper then how long before the goal posts move again (which they will) and you're in the same predicament.
You have a cracking car there, enjoy it while you can.
I'll be keeping my (cheap tax) 54 reg Sti PPP for a few years longer I think..
Old 12 March 2008, 02:26 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

£18k would be a fair price if you sell to an enthusiast, otherwise your mods will devalue the car. Of course I'm sure you could return it to standard and sell to the wider public, but if you are in no hurry to sell then it probably doesn't matter anyway

My £16k-£17k mark was based on the mods and selling on somewhere like autotrader. I like the idea of pushing the prices up. The spec D is a good car as it gives a nice blank canvas to start from if you do want to customise or it's discreet if you don't. Best of both worlds.
Old 12 March 2008, 04:01 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
£18k would be a fair price if you sell to an enthusiast, otherwise your mods will devalue the car. Of course I'm sure you could return it to standard and sell to the wider public, but if you are in no hurry to sell then it probably doesn't matter anyway

My £16k-£17k mark was based on the mods and selling on somewhere like autotrader. I like the idea of pushing the prices up. The spec D is a good car as it gives a nice blank canvas to start from if you do want to customise or it's discreet if you don't. Best of both worlds.
Was gonna suggest that stripping the mods off and selling it as a std car would probably generate the most cash for the motor.

I'll give you a tenner for all the mods
Old 12 March 2008, 05:09 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

If you were to sell, Pistonheads is the way forward as there are a lot more people in the know/enthusiasts on there that know the score rather than on Autotrader.

Based on your year of car, the condition it is in and the modifications that you have done I'd be shooting for £18-19K.

Just out of interest I always have a look at what is for sale on PH and did think for a few seconds about what I could get my mitts on if I sold MY07 STi, something like a 400bhp Focus RS which sold recently on there for a decent price.

However, as other people have already said, when the sun is out and the weather is nice there aren't many cars out there that can bring a smile to your face like the Impreza can when you are nailing it down your favourite country roads or something as simple as nipping to the shops for a pint of milk, its a special motor!!

You say that you want to throw a few Whiteline products at the car to enhance your suspension/handling package so I'd say do that for another year, get the car where you want it and then think things through again.

G
Old 12 March 2008, 08:54 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Grant
Just put it up for 35k

Nice car, look and spec; you would regret getting rid. Just resolve to vote out New Labia at next General Election as a more pleasurable alternative to selling.

Hope it sorts itself out.

dnc
Old 12 March 2008, 11:36 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the reasons I'm sticking with mine for the foreseable Grant.
I covered 4k in it last year as a second car... working it out insurance mot and road tax mine breaks down to £11.15 a week if it does not turn a wheel so lack of use and depreciation is not to bad in that respect.