Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru dealer damaged my intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 06:02 PM
Philip C
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post. I have been an avid reader and voyeur of Scoobynet for some time now but I am compelled to seek your opinions on the following.

My intercooler was damaged by the Subaru dealer during valeting after a major service. During the washing they used a waterjet lance and must have been directed momentarily through the scoop.

The result is the finning has been blown flat over an area appox 1 inch front to rear by 8 inches wide thus blocking off the airflow.

I complained, but after much debate they don't accept full responsibility but will either:

1. replace it free of charge with an intercooler from another car of similar mileage

or

2. put a new one on if I pay £156 towards the official cost of £480 including labour and vat

I don't like the former as I couldn't be sure of the condition of it. Regarding the latter , why should I have to pay?

My car is a MY99 std Impreza Turbo with 21000 miles on the clock.

What do you reckon? Should I complain to a higher authourity or just count my losses?

Philip

Old 23 January 2002, 06:17 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

IMHO
Key point is did you notice the damage before you drove away. It's quite disgraceful but they could claim it was undamaged when you collected it. Their offer implies liability, however they may state the offer was made in good faith as a customer relations exercise.
if you have not already done so speak to the MD, complain about the damage/staff attitude. If no joy write with a copy to IM threatening further action; Statement (factual of course) on SIDC Scoobynet Sites,involvement of Trading Standards, Solicitors. Small Claims Court etc.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:20 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Do you have any photo's of it's condition before the incident. If so use them as evidence. Give Subaru a call and see what they say, keep the garage informed of any an all conversations you have with Subaru and keep records of names, dates, times and results.

One trick is to go in on a Saturday morning when there's lots of people around and make a fuss in public.

Otherwise pay the 156 quid and don't ever go there again, and make it clear that their error has just cost them all your servicing and new car buying for ever. I.e more than the cost of an intercooler.

IMHO dealers who mess you around don't deserve your custom, so don't go to them again after it's been sorted out.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:47 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Can you get to see the suggested free replacement first? The intercooler is surely a device whose condition can be evaluated quite easily by looking at it. You can tell in a moment if the 'new' one is bent too.

Personally I'd go for the free used one. £156 is a lot of money to spend on a part that doesn't wear out, so I don't think you'd be getting value for money.

I'd love to know exactly what happened to your original intercooler, though - I use a pressure washer on my car all the time and never gave this issue a second thought. I'll wash the scoop with a sponge in future!

Andy.
Old 23 January 2002, 08:40 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Some dealers have been known to use the intercooler as a tray for their tools too!
Old 23 January 2002, 09:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

They must replace it with AT LEAST the same quality/condition as it was when you took it in - they do NOT have a duty to place you in a better condition than you were in before.

So, if the secondhand one on offer is in the same condition as yours was, then they have done what they legally must.

They do NOT have to replace it with new - sorry, but they just need to re-instate your loss - which they are offering to do.

Pete
Old 23 January 2002, 09:51 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Can you not just straighten the damage fins?
Old 23 January 2002, 10:33 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

i've tried straightening the fins before, its a real pain in the ****, they bend at the slightest touch
Old 24 January 2002, 08:00 AM
Hobbsy
Scooby Regular

If being replaced by a unit, you must be aware of why it come off another car, if the previous car had eaten its engine then there could be swarf etc hanging around in their only to be sucked into your "good" engine. Only my thoughts so may not be gospel.
Old 24 January 2002, 01:17 PM
Philip C
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys. It is a goodwill thing on their part as they pointed out that I cannot prove they did it. There is no doubt they did do it as I know it was alright before they serviced it as I took some leaves out.

I will steel myself to talk to a director if I can get past the Manageress.

I discovered the damage late Saturday afternoon after it was serviced on the Monday. They had picked up the car and delivered it back to my workplace.

I agree I couldn't be sure of the pedigree of a secondhand one but baulk at the idea of paying to undo their handywork. I can afford it OK but it's the principle.

Their offer is open ended timewise so I will mull it over and let you know what happens.

Philip
Old 24 January 2002, 05:03 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I'm with Boost on this one, it's more likely they placed/dropped something on it.
If they used a washer with that amount of pressure knowing Subaru paint quality they'd be respraying your bumper.
Well they would if it was P1

From an underwriters perspective Mr Lewis' comment is of course correct, but how was the figure of £156 justified. Check the cost of an intercooler and establish just what proportion of the cost has been judged betterment? i.e if your contribution is 50% then the estimated life of an intercooler is 42,000 miles.

BUT, I would argue that it's irrelevant and only get into that if all else fails. They didn't have the misfortune to puncture a tyre that had done 18k, their negligence ruined a perfectly servicable item.

If you are sure they're responsible don't be intimidated, get on their case.

Old 24 January 2002, 05:06 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Punch them all [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Mikey (Feeling all mature...NOT )
Old 24 January 2002, 05:10 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Shame he's so far away m8. Otherwise you could pop over and "reason" with em.
Old 24 January 2002, 05:37 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Just a thought but is there anyway to get them to put towards a better item, I find it's always sweeter replacing a brocken but otherwise servicable item with something better. Can't see how you could work this in to your situation though... Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Old 24 January 2002, 05:54 PM
Philip C
Scooby Newbie

I was told that the replacement cost for a new intercooler was £346.16 plus labour for one hour at £67.50/hour all + vat equals £486.06 total.

They didn't say exactly how they arrived a £156 but it is about a third of the official cost. For them the actual cost is a lot less of course.

My intercooler was pristine before this. I had, previous to their offer, suggested reluctantly that I paid one fifth of the cost of a new one. I based this on my having done just over 20,000 miles and that the car should be good for at least 100,000.

PS. I suspect this dealer is the same one as the "Stolen in Aylesbury" thread, not that it has any bearing.

Philip
Old 24 January 2002, 06:41 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Just a small point re your last post - IMHO an intercooler should only be the subject of corrosion over a very long period of time, irrecpective of milage.

David
Old 24 January 2002, 08:44 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

IMHO Philip
That was a most generous offer, one I wouldn't have made untill we were on the steps of the courthouse
Old 24 January 2002, 09:30 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Stand ur ground on getting a new replacement - whilst a previous response stating they only have to replace like with like may be strictly correct, there is no easy way to establish that a 2nd hand item is undamaged and in full working order, therefore they should replace with new FOC. Also, you have been inconvenienced, and if it went to court, which I doubt it will, but you could claim for that - they should renew it and be done with it.

Pressure washer lances can damage rad/intercooler fins quite easily by the way.

Write to manager of dealership, then take further if not satisfied, then name and shame here.

Good luck - i'm sure you will have no probs if you dig ur heels in.