starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2008, 11:25 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

need some help please poeple

when i stop and park up, go and something from a shop, fill up at a petrol staion etc so say 2-5min when i come back to the car switch the alarm off jump in turn the key wait a sec to hear the fuel pump spin up by this time all dash lights/stereo/defi start up sequence happens, then turn the key the last bit and NOTHING, i can hear the fuel pump spining up so dont think it is the immobiliser.

is my ignition barrel on it sway out?
is the std subaru alarm on its last legs?

guys need some help, as i dont want to payout for a new alarm and still ahve teh problem and vice versa on the ignition.

has this happened to anyone else or heard of it before

thanks

steve
Old 25 February 2008, 12:33 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

MIne does this too, only seems on first start of the day though!

Bought a nwe battery and it still does it!

any ideas people?????
Old 25 February 2008, 01:52 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

you lucky guy mine does it anytime of the day. morning, noon or night

and there is no consistancy, pulled up to get soem fuel today, filled up, went in a paid came out and satrted first im eno issues!!!!!

guys i am with GC8WRX any ideas please!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 25 February 2008, 05:06 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 25 February 2008, 06:14 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Mines done this a couple of times recently. Go to start, get all the right dash lights and nothing. Then all of a sudden it will work. I rang my Alarm installer when it did it last time and he talked me through few things that proved it wasn't the alarm/immobiliser. Anyway, I park on a steep hill at home, yes I know your not supposed to bump them but, he said just this once try and bump it down from your house.....and it started straight away. He reckons it could be the starter motor. Although I thought it could also be the key/barrel.

Mines a 95 JDM WRX.
Old 26 February 2008, 09:31 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

come on guys there is more than one of us needing advice any pointers b4 i start on a long costly journey of replacing parts that i do not need to, trying to fix this problem
Old 26 February 2008, 11:03 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If you read MMT WRX's post he has already mention two of the most probably causes.

Next time it does it; get a voltmetre on the switch live (the thin wire, not the fat one) to the solonoid to the starter motor, see if its getting 12v when someone turns the key to start it.
Old 26 February 2008, 02:48 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

shark man i have read his posts but he has given 2 causes but he has not mentioned that he ha sgot it sorted so i was just asking someone else if they ahve had this problem and found out the cause

rather than replacing a starter motor and it not working then the key and barrel which both from suaru will not be cheap to say the least, was hoping to get it right first time lol

but know you have mentiond how to test the starter motor i will do that first if it is producing 12v then i hope to say that it will be the key and barrel, so means i will not be wasting any cash

thanks
Old 26 February 2008, 02:57 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

crank sensor
Old 26 February 2008, 03:25 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
crank sensor
Nope definitely not the crank sensor on my Scoob.

I had 1 of those fitted about 2 years ago. When the crank sensor goes the car turns over as normal but wont start. In my case, and after doing searches on here at the time quite a few others, the problem is generally when the car is at running temp, switched off and wont start again until its cooled down for between 20mins to 1hr.

If i've got this right about the problem peeps have got in this thread, the engine doesn't turn over at all. You get dash lights but no starter motor.

Thanks anyway

Mick
Old 26 February 2008, 03:39 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
Nope definitely not the crank sensor on my Scoob.

I had 1 of those fitted about 2 years ago. When the crank sensor goes the car turns over as normal but wont start. In my case, and after doing searches on here at the time quite a few others, the problem is generally when the car is at running temp, switched off and wont start again until its cooled down for between 20mins to 1hr.

If i've got this right about the problem peeps have got in this thread, the engine doesn't turn over at all. You get dash lights but no starter motor.

Thanks anyway

Mick

Thats it mate, all dash lights, can hear pump priming, just no turnover!

and mine only does it on the first start of the day?

Apart from that mine runs fine!
Old 26 February 2008, 03:48 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Just gone out and tried mine now, the starter motor turned but not properly, so i turned the key again and she started!

As ive said it seems to be worse on v cold days, but ive just had a new battery, so cold cranking should be ok!

I wonder if the alternators fcuked and not charging the new battery, cos my problem went away for the first 4 days after battery change, but its been back for a week now?
Old 27 February 2008, 10:00 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

it happened to me again last night went in to a shop bought dinner came out and would not start

this time in desperation turned the key straight away again and again and on the third attempt it sparked up.

so ignition barrel or alternator or starter motor, 3 thing that will not be cheap from suabru so which to go for first? lol aint subaru ownership all fun and games
Old 27 February 2008, 01:25 PM
CHUNKY.MONKEY.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
it happened to me again last night went in to a shop bought dinner came out and would not start

this time in desperation turned the key straight away again and again and on the third attempt it sparked up.

so ignition barrel or alternator or starter motor, 3 thing that will not be cheap from suabru so which to go for first? lol aint subaru ownership all fun and games
you can get the alternator tested with a meter to make sure its pumping out enough charge takes 2 mins, if thats ok i would go for st motor as you are getting ign. lights every time you turn the key so if the barrel was at fault it would affect that to i would of thought, and cold wouldnt affect barrel i dont think so i would get alt tested if thats ok look at st.motor mate cos they start to stick inside hope this is of help
Old 27 February 2008, 01:45 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Stevie1982 - Sounds like the starter solenoid switch.

If it only happens sometimes and not others would suggest it is on it's way.

Would require a new starter motor.

GC8WRX - Not sure fella, could be anything of a number of things. Whats happens if you leave it longer than a week? Any juice in the battery at all? Could well be that the alternator is faulty and not charging your battery efficiently or you may have a battery drain (I did coming from the alarm and all fine and dandy now). More likely the starter itself is dying. Doesn't sound like the same problem as stevie1982.

Last edited by rossi_p; 27 February 2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 02:07 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply mate, will test the alternator with a mates multimeter on sat!

Will check starter motor and solenoid too!

Good luck stevie82, hop its not too expensive pal!

Thanks again for everyones input so far!