Sponsored by:

Is this overboost?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 06:42 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Flooring the car in the usual manner when all power is cut for a fraction of a second then carries on till I change gear, boost is lost then climbs as per usual. It is not me hitting the rev limiter because I know all about that from when I 1st got the car this has only come on since I changed the airfilter. It never did this before and I'm driving it just as hard. Any ideas?

Tim
Old 03 January 2001, 07:09 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Tim
Sounds like overboost to me, probably caused by the freer airflow into the turbo causing too much boost. I had this on my old WRX, I found that once you got the car past max boost, you can floor it again and still get to the redline in top (not me driving and not in this country before anyone asks).
I think you will probably need a remap or have restrictors put in the pipes. I never actually got mine fixed (and I took it to three garages) before it disapeared into a field on the continent . You may find that when the weather warms up it will improve. I had mine booked at Powerstation before its demise and they seemed to think they could fix it quite cheaply and quickly.

Cheers
Andy

Old 04 January 2001, 06:12 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Still unsure what to do about it (if anything can be done). Significantly warmer this morning but still does it often and had to "take it easy!" which was boring.....
Old 04 January 2001, 06:46 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tim,

I agree it sounds like overboost. Have a look at this as it could be one possibility:
Old 04 January 2001, 09:31 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

I have hearsd that overboost can be caused by overfilling the engine with oil. The oil works its way into the various tubes and causes the sensors to give incorrect readings causing overboost, or the cutout at least. I have heard of people cleaning out the tubes and curing it, although this never worked on my car.
I know what you mean, it really does transform the car, worst bit is when you try to overtake someone and it just dies on you

Cheers
Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Hall (edited 04 January 2001).]