Sponsored by:

Council's now have more power then the Police

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2008, 08:34 PM
bigsmiffy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Council's now have more power then the Police

My Missus has just recieved a Penalty Charge Notice from Islington council for "alleged contravention 50JR Failing to comply with a sign indicating a prohibited turn", she turned right at a sign which tells you you can't

The alleged contravention was noted by CCTV camera operator who was observing real time pictures from a roadside camera at the time stated.

Basicly there are cameras on top of a high poles which are manually operated CCTV to hunt down motorists parking, or doing this type of petty offence.

Whilst yes she is blonde & has commited the offence supported by photos showing her do so, the date of contravenstion is 17:12 on the 12-1-08, the notice is dated yesterday, almost 6 weeks ago!

When the Police send you a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) they only get 14 days to send it to the owner of the vehicle, then they ask who was driving, otherwise I think I'm correct in saying its void, so how can a Council take 6 weeks!!!!!

This Notice isnt bothered who was driving they just want £60 (or £120 if you leave it over 14 Days) from the owner of the vehicle, now for £60 its not worth the time fighting and theres no points involved (which there would have been if the Police had pulled her) it just shows we are all soon to be watched and fined by big brother, & how long before speeding does the same way via CCTV.

Does anyone legal have any advice if the Council has more power then the Police in terms of time scale before notice?

Cheers

Tom
Old 22 February 2008, 08:46 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

You don't get points for contravening a no right turn, unless in doing so you go through a no entry sign (which is an ofence in itself).

The going rate for contravening a no left/right tuen is normally £30
Old 22 February 2008, 10:06 PM
bubble arch
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't pay.
councils rely on people giving up because of the aggravation involved in appealing .
6 weeks to notify an owner that his car was involved in a suspected offence is abuse of process . I know you mention they have a photo of the driver but the 14 day principle still applies .How many people could remember who was driving their car 6 weeks after an incident if several people used it ?
Old 23 February 2008, 01:33 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

get to PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice for some good advice, the councils paperwork is often defective.

bubble is wrong, 14 days applies to speeding, not these offences, and the Reg Keeper is liable for the fine (no points) as well.....

Simon
Old 23 February 2008, 08:13 AM
trigot33
Scooby Regular

Im a full time cabbie ( black hack ) and i can tell you one thing if its worth anything to you. Councils are the biggest bunch of hardcore oppressors there are to be found anywhere within government.

At our local council, the taxi licensing division is always manned by the same idiots. There is a rumour that iff anyone steps out of line, the council in their own orwellian ways wil make life hell for you, i.e., failed tests, enforcement hassle etc etc, they are thugs , but of the more acceptable public face. AND they are at war with motorists as its easy cash.