PPP Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 03:47 PM
Chillies
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP Mileage

Hi folks,

Getting PPP installed next week on my beloved Wagon (UK spec MY01). Mileage is 66000 now, so I would like to know the mileages that people
have had theirs fitted and general comments. Yes, I know I could do a search but you can include laziness comments in your post as well.

Cheers!
Old 21 February 2008, 03:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

11k miles, waste of money in retrospect, sorry. I had mine done in warranty for simply that reason. Spending £1200+ on it for a MY01 is certainly not common. Sorry but you did ask
Old 21 February 2008, 04:35 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chillies
Hi folks,

Getting PPP installed next week on my beloved Wagon (UK spec MY01). Mileage is 66000 now, so I would like to know the mileages that people
have had theirs fitted and general comments. Yes, I know I could do a search but you can include laziness comments in your post as well.

Cheers!

the money would be better spent on a remap from a reputable tuner like andy forest, bob rawle and so on. PPP is a generic map and with every engine being different its actually better for the car to have a custom map than gerneric,which serves all wagons of the same year.you could actually save money by buying a full system and getting it mapped and the car would run better.

Last edited by bushiwarrior; 21 February 2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 21 February 2008, 04:55 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

From new My55 been great, but will be getting it re-mapped when warrenty expires!!!
Old 21 February 2008, 10:22 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
the money would be better spent on a remap from a reputable tuner like andy forest, bob rawle and so on. PPP is a generic map and with every engine being different its actually better for the car to have a custom map than gerneric,which serves all wagons of the same year.you could actually save money by buying a full system and getting it mapped and the car would run better.
I will agree with everything you have said there, but when you come to selling the car, a PPP car will always appeal to a wider audience than a modded car.
Old 22 February 2008, 03:09 PM
Chillies
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks

I'm going to go for it anyway. I plan to keep the car for another year so it will be nice to have a little bit of fun with my Wagon for a bit longer. Thanks for the replies.
Old 22 February 2008, 06:19 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

The PPP is a good boost in Power,torque,and driver enjoyment.
Re map cheaper and will achieve the above.
Mileage not a problem as long as car is serviced regulary and warmed up before putting your foot to the floor.
PPP better when selling the car secondhand,this could probably recoup some of the the difference in price from just a remap.
If you do go for the remap,an uprated intercooler hose is reccommended,this come automatically with the PPP price.
If you are patient some ecus do come up secondhand on here and on Ebay.
Easy to put in yourself,easy to change intercooler pipe.
I did this on my Classic and saved £1200.
Car ran much better with PPP

Or sell the PPP kit seperately when you sell your car in a years time!!
just put your std ECu back in.

Last edited by aggs; 22 February 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: text added
Old 25 February 2008, 04:09 PM
Chillies
Scooby Newbie

Default Warming up

My car has a full Subaru Service history and does not get anything more than 3000 rpm until 10 miles driving from a cold start. Wish me luck, as it goes in tomorrow!

Originally Posted by aggs
The PPP is a good boost in Power,torque,and driver enjoyment.
Re map cheaper and will achieve the above.
Mileage not a problem as long as car is serviced regulary and warmed up before putting your foot to the floor.
PPP better when selling the car secondhand,this could probably recoup some of the the difference in price from just a remap.
If you do go for the remap,an uprated intercooler hose is reccommended,this come automatically with the PPP price.
If you are patient some ecus do come up secondhand on here and on Ebay.
Easy to put in yourself,easy to change intercooler pipe.
I did this on my Classic and saved £1200.
Car ran much better with PPP

Or sell the PPP kit seperately when you sell your car in a years time!!
just put your std ECu back in.
Old 25 February 2008, 04:16 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

my 03 bug eye has been remapped to push out 290horses.
mate you will love the difference you achieve...enjoy!!!!

53wrx -Spending £1200+ on it for a MY01 is certainly not common. Sorry but you did ask .WTF???
Old 25 February 2008, 04:20 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Chillies, would be very interested to know how you get on (before and after performance and driveability), how much you pay and where you are getting it.

Also, what it does to your insurance?
Old 27 February 2008, 05:22 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Chillies how you getting on with the car now.
Old 27 February 2008, 06:36 PM
Chillies
Scooby Newbie

For those that think applying PPP to a MY01 is uncommon, on what basis? Have you got some statistical figures to back it up? If you are able to afford a newer car than me, well done!

For those not so worried about their manhood, I am delighted with the upgrade. A wee bit more noise but not intrusive if you keep below 3000 rpm. After 3000 rpm, it's all good stuff! I paid around £1500 for my PPP from an authorised dealer which is more than you might pay elsewhere, but I trust my dealer, get a Courtesy car and they are nice people!

One other thing. I will be running the car on SUL. Yes, not Vulture Power, BP 1500 RON or any other of those mega fuels. The car has a knock sensor, it will deal with any fuel you want to put in it unless you tried to put some home brew in it.
Old 27 February 2008, 07:27 PM
jim16v
Scooby Regular

good to hear you are enjoying your ppp, im building up my ppp parts then will get a remap when ive got it sorted, is the power noticable better?
Old 27 February 2008, 07:36 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Chillies, Good for you mate you'll love it, I had mine from new and think it's great!!!

Good Luck, Enjoy and all the Best.
Old 27 February 2008, 07:58 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I've had 2 PPP Blobs and can't fault them. Both were fitted with it from new. Lots of people slate them, although they've never driven one. You'll recoup a lot of your money at part ex time, I certainly did. Yes you can get equivalent performance cheaper, but you'll have a limited market when you come to sell it. Enjoy your car.
Old 27 February 2008, 07:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mellinator
my 03 bug eye has been remapped to push out 290horses.
mate you will love the difference you achieve...enjoy!!!!

53wrx -Spending £1200+ on it for a MY01 is certainly not common. Sorry but you did ask .WTF???
WTF ? not sure I understand your point ?

Sorry but in my opinion it is mental to buy the PPP for that sort of money when that represents 25% of the value of your car. There are better value (IMHO) performance gains to be had for the OPs car than the PPP. It's not about bragging rights to power, its more about not getting raped by dealers for a upgrade that at that age of car does not constitute value for money.

Edited to say that at £1500 you really had your pants pulled down. I bought mine 2 years ago for £1200 -10%

If you don't agree I wish you well, move on. I hope you enjoy your upgrade Chillies

Last edited by 53; 27 February 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 09:18 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

I think 53WRX is pointing out that not many people with a car that age choose the PPP option, and based on what I've seen on Scoobynet he would be right. There's no need for people to get overexcited about this comment, regardless of your opinions he is correct that there are cheaper ways to achieve similar or greater power/driveability increases. Some people like to go for PPP as it has a better effect on re-sale value, preserves warranty and is seen, rightly or wrongly, as the safer 'factory approved' way to increase power.

People with a car in warranty are more likely to go for PPP than those whose car isn't, I think this is generally accepted.

53WRX, where did you get it for < £1200? We've discussed PPP before and I'm coming round to your way of thinking, I'm not too far from Mocom and have just discovered slowboy who look interesting, however would still like to know...

Chillies, any chance of a more in depth review? General driveability, fuel economy, insurance costs compared to standard? You did tell the insurance company, right?

Last edited by escott; 27 February 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 09:27 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nothing to stop you doing the ppp got this on my n and you can still map it

so i was told ,also told the re map on my sti8 could take power to 350hp so if you get bored with the power down the line you can get a re map
Old 27 February 2008, 11:39 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by escott
I think 53WRX is pointing out that not many people with a car that age choose the PPP option, and based on what I've seen on Scoobynet he would be right. There's no need for people to get overexcited about this comment, regardless of your opinions he is correct that there are cheaper ways to achieve similar or greater power/driveability increases. Some people like to go for PPP as it has a better effect on re-sale value, preserves warranty and is seen, rightly or wrongly, as the safer 'factory approved' way to increase power.

People with a car in warranty are more likely to go for PPP than those whose car isn't, I think this is generally accepted.

53WRX, where did you get it for < £1200? We've discussed PPP before and I'm coming round to your way of thinking, I'm not too far from Mocom and have just discovered slowboy who look interesting, however would still like to know...

Chillies, any chance of a more in depth review? General driveability, fuel economy, insurance costs compared to standard? You did tell the insurance company, right?
Hi escott, I shopped around and had lots of quotes, one was £1700 . In the end I had it done at Days of Chelmsford who actually closed last month (didn't sell enough PPP ). There was a top guy there when Days were a good dealer who did me a deal on the PPP incorporating the SIDC 10% discount.

The PPP parts are sound but you can buy a decat rear centre for £100 (£70 in the recent GB) full samco cooling hose kit including the Intercooler Y pipe for £70, an exhaust of your choice for £200 (better than the PD one for burble and performance) and then shop around for a mapper you are happy with. For me mocom did a cracking job on both my new ages and will be ESL live mapping my classic if all goes to plan.

£100
£70
£200
£450
= £820

If you want to go plugs, filters too add £150 but then you don't get that with the PPP. H&S exhaust parts are priced fitted and there might be a nominal charge for the pipes.

You can't escape the very real fact that PPP is nearly twice the price, and from experience of both products the non PPP option is twice as good ! Resale wise it makes little difference on a car that age if its a PPP or not, although you may sell it quicker ? when selling you simply replace the cat in the rear (10 minute job) and re load the old map (ooo at least 2 minutes !), job done back to standard and sold as such ! The fact that it has silicone pipes is a bonus for the buyer as will be your choice of back box (not that the old BB needs replacing anyway). They will probably not even notice or care as many PPP cars will also have been treated to a touch of silicone and a better sounding back box.

Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with the PPP, everyone has to make a living. But you asked for coments based on experience (which I have of both options) and mine is that £1500 on PPP for a MY01 car is your choice and yours alone but not the one I would have made
Old 27 February 2008, 11:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrx9181
nothing to stop you doing the ppp got this on my n and you can still map it

so i was told ,also told the re map on my sti8 could take power to 350hp so if you get bored with the power down the line you can get a re map
Maybe not quite that much but 'thats the way to do it'.

I replicated the MY05 STi PPP on my MY06 STi getting 335/375 and on MY03 WRX I replicated the MY03 STi PPP package (on the smaller TD04 turbo) and got 273/276, and thats with a fairly conservative loss assumption.
Old 28 February 2008, 02:30 PM
Chillies
Scooby Newbie

Default Insurance

I have informed my Insurance Company (I am insured through Subaru and they didn't bat an eyelid and why should they?). All they said was that they would send out amended paperwork in due course with no mention of a Premium increase (I hope!).

My very first impressions given I have only driven a few miles, is that the increase in exhaust note is noticable but I can live with it for the extra torque you get. If you like, the car will do in fourth gear what it can do in third and so on. My dealer, who I know well, says that fuel consumption will be less if driven normally. The PPP kit takes one of the big CATs out of the equation. A free breathing engine should, in theory, produce more performance per litre of fuel than one with restrictive flow downstream (or upstream for the matter).

Anyway, I like the look of the backbox

Originally Posted by escott