Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look out for when looking at a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 01:19 PM
VTS_16v_Boy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look out for when looking at a WRX?

Hi,
Just joined and cant see a newbie section so I guess I'll put my first post here.

As you can probally tell by my user name I havent got a Subaru yet but I have wanted one for as long as I can remember and finally looked at one this morning. Just really looking for as much advice and what to look out for say problem areas etc

The car is a k-reg WRX import model, I have looked all over the bodywork for crash damage (none that I can see), checked the wheels for impacts or kurb damage (none) and checked the tyres for wear etc all fine. Until I go back maybe Friday or Saturday morning and drive the car and see it running I cant check anything else. Ive spoken to the dealer on the phone and the car has 56k on the clock and has just been fully serviced.

Thats about it really, just any help will br greatly accepted

Cheers
Old 21 February 2008, 01:24 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Is it a fresh import? Chances are if it is then it won't have much by way of service history with it - usually even if there is unless you can read Japanese it may not be much use! 56k sounds very low for a K plate, bear in mind that some if not all of this may actually be in kilometres unless it has been converted since being in the UK. Has it got any modifications at all?

Welcome to the site by the way!
Old 21 February 2008, 02:02 PM
VTS_16v_Boy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Is it a fresh import? Chances are if it is then it won't have much by way of service history with it - usually even if there is unless you can read Japanese it may not be much use! 56k sounds very low for a K plate, bear in mind that some if not all of this may actually be in kilometres unless it has been converted since being in the UK. Has it got any modifications at all?

Welcome to the site by the way!
When I viewed the car early this morning I noticed it had a rear fog added in the number plate resess and had a UK Tax disc (which was out of date), when I spoke to the dealer later he said it had original sold it the owner had then sold it back to the dealer and bought a people carrier because of addition of kids so it looks to have been sorted for UK use, I couldnt get inside it but Im hoping to do that Friday or Saturday.

From the outside and inside really the car looks very factory finish, the OE low boot spoiler is still there, all the black trim at the bottom of the car is all there and very Black, standard 16" Gold Subaru 5spoke alloys, the ride height looks abit aftermarket but i cant be sure, it dosent look low . . . just right.

The only thing thats looks to have been changed is the exhaust which seems to be a universal can about 3"-3.5" I cant see if its a full system but it looks like just a back box from what I can see.

I wont get a chance to look at the engine till I go back, Im hoping its very standard as the early models are quite retro now in factory look and I think with so many that have been modifed it'll be nice to have the classic look.

Any rattles of squeeks I should listen out for, any areas prown to oil leaks? etc etc
Old 21 February 2008, 02:26 PM
nathanw1983
Scooby Newbie

Im new on the site aswell and bought my first scooby bout 3 weeks ago and done a hpi check for peace of mind maybe you should do a hpi check
Old 21 February 2008, 03:05 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

the mileage does seem very low for a K plate.

What sort of cost is it going for?

When you test drive it, make sure it gets warmed up and make sure you take it to at least 5000rpm. reason I say this is because the engine control unit if it detects a problem with any sensors then it will make the car run like **** at around about 4500rpm, sensors can be costly to replace. If there is a fault then you usually get a CEL (Check Engine Light) on the dash, you can see this when you turn the ignition on. IF there isnt one that comes on then the chances are the bulb has either blown, or more likely been removed (to mask a fault).

Go through all the gears, should be smooth, also check for any droning type noises on overun etc (possible diff issues or gearbox issues)

If you do buy it, if there is no history with it, then get the cambelt changed as a precaution, thing is with that age of car you may also need a new tensioner which adds to the cost. Expect around about £250 ish for the belt change and maybe about £100 for the tensioner. Check for smoke etc on boost and off boost etc, and also colour of the oil as that can be a good indication of how the engine has been run. You can also check the gearbox oil level as well, there is a dipstick underneath the intercooler on the driver side.

when the engine is running check for any noises. Now you will probably hear the boost solenoid ticking away on the drivers side suspension turret, but listen for other noises. You can get noisy injectors, but the main thing is bottom end noises that you need to worry about.

Radiator end tanks are prone to splitting as they are usually plastic and with the heating and cooling cycles of the engines they do tend to crack with age, not expensive to fix but it is extra expense. Just check around the radiator for any signs of coolant leakage etc.
Old 21 February 2008, 03:08 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

ahh yes forget to mention, they are prone to the rocker covers leaking oil, generally its not huge amounts but its a leak never the less. Not really expensive to fix (if diy) but can be fiddly, off course there are 2 due to the engine layout.
Old 21 February 2008, 04:31 PM
VTS_16v_Boy
Scooby Newbie

The car is advertised at £3995 of course Id try and get alittle off it even if I thought it was worth it. The dealer said and it is in the advert that the car has had the cambelt done along with a service so thats a load of my mind, like I said I was told the car has been in the UK for a little while and had one UK owner it sounds like.

The story I was told was bloke bought the car, broke up with his wife, got together with another woman (probally what caused the break up lol) she had kids so he part ex'd it for a Jap people carrier. Wheather this is true hmmm not sure but the car looks worth the chance.

Most of the others I have been looking at over the last few years all seem to be mod'd and hence boosting the price, and a near standard WRX import doesnt come up often by the looks of it. Most of the WRX's seem to end up with the most mod's etc and the UK turbo2000's all seem to be very high mileage.

Hope it turns out to be as good as it looks, we're see
Old 21 February 2008, 04:56 PM
leigh4x4
Scooby Regular

yhpm!
Old 21 February 2008, 08:53 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

4k to be honest is a lot of money for a 16yr old car, you could get a far newer uk car (cheaper insurance) for that kind of money in my opinion
Old 21 February 2008, 09:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
4k to be honest is a lot of money for a 16yr old car, you could get a far newer uk car (cheaper insurance) for that kind of money in my opinion
Yes you could...and seeing as its a UK car there is less chance of being caught out with something dodgy as you can find out more about the history of the car.

Turbo 2000 is an ideal first sub, and you can very easily get it well past the WRX power wise...with a little money spent of course. Although obviously this will put your insurance up, but not to import levels.

Alan
Old 21 February 2008, 10:09 PM
S7EVY
Scooby Regular

Try to purchase one from a reputable garage at least if something does go wrong you can pursue the Dealership, secondly 3995 for a 1993 seams rather top wack, unless it looks immaculate with sensible mods on the exterior and engine.

worth trying jap performance uk, think they do have a few WRX's, Link Jap Performance

Oh have you any pics of the 1993 WRX you've seen?

Steve
Old 21 February 2008, 11:15 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

some good advice given,you can afford to be choosy,dont rush into a purchase as theres load about.this one is a nice car for about the same money.
MY 98 UK Turbo 2000 - .:ImprezaSport.net Forums:.
Old 22 February 2008, 08:06 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to put it into perspective a bit, I sold mine recently for 2k, if you view my scooby you can see the specs of it. That was a 1992 K plate, bodywork was immaculate, few scrapes on the alloys, drivers seat was worn (side bolsters japs are small, I am not ) had new steering wheel that matched the interior etc, very good running and sounded so sweeeeet. What have I done
Old 22 February 2008, 08:29 AM
New_scooby_04

Welcome to SN!

I tell this to all newbies:

YOU don't look for anything! (not unless you're a good mechanic)

Get the car professionally inspected; could save you a fortune!

Ns04
Old 22 February 2008, 09:43 AM
markietay
Scooby Regular

Dont worry too much about high mileage uk cars as long as there is history.
Mine has done 135k miles and still runs fine.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:31 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Must have history.

Look at the mileage another way, let's say, for arguments sake, 56000 miles, car is K reg, thats 1992, so it is 16 years old.

That is 3500 miles a year

291 miles a month

67 miles a week

How does this sound ?

I suggest, if you can, try and buy a newer model Impreza.
Old 22 February 2008, 02:04 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

For 4k you should be able to get a newer car than that.

Example: I sold my MY00 for less than £6k with 45,000 miles a few months ago.

A quick look on Pistonheads shows this as an alternative: Subaru : Subaru Impreza Prodrive Turbo (UK) Wagon

Last edited by michaelro; 22 February 2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Add Link
Old 22 February 2008, 04:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by michaelro

Example: I sold my MY00 for less than £6k with 45,000 miles a few months ago.

A quick look on Pistonheads shows this as an alternative: Subaru : Subaru Impreza Prodrive Turbo (UK) Wagon
Blimey mate, I would have kept it!! Will appreciate in value with that mileage!

There aren't many genuine UK low mileage examples left now!

ns04
Old 22 February 2008, 07:22 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Blimey mate, I would have kept it!! Will appreciate in value with that mileage!

There aren't many genuine UK low mileage examples left now!

ns04
Didn't want to sell it
Expecting a little one and couldn't justify the overall running costs while my missus wasn't working.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:18 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

What to look out for when buying a WRX .........An STI
Old 23 February 2008, 01:02 PM
Fred321
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx

lol Very True
Old 23 February 2008, 01:54 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The mileage could well be genuine. I only do 3k per year in mine and Japanese average mileage is not as high as ours.
Old 23 February 2008, 07:24 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

A little way away from and more money but it'd be worth the extra money:

Subaru : X reg 2001 uk turbo for sale
Old 23 February 2008, 07:36 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Yup I was looking for a WRX mainly because of price but ended up with an STI and glad I did.
I had change from 4K too