2008 UK or JDM

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 06:49 PM
wateronmars
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 UK or JDM

Hello ScoobyNet,

I decided to buy a new impreza sti (hatch). My question is whether it is worth getting a JDM or is UK just as good this time ? I would mainly want it for every day use.

Thank you.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:09 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

been in the jdm, very nice car but i have ordered a uk sti this time
Old 20 February 2008, 08:19 PM
wateronmars
Scooby Newbie

rob, what were the deciding factors ?
Old 20 February 2008, 11:16 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

For me it has to be the JDM, because the UK looks more like a WRX than a proper STi:

UK STi:

JDM STi:

However, these 3 almost get me nursing a semi! would love to see these specs in real life!

Old 20 February 2008, 11:38 PM
wateronmars
Scooby Newbie

marmski, what is the difference exactly? 18" alloys and fog lights are optional on uk sti. Actually, is it just me or are the mirrors bigger on uk sti ?
Old 21 February 2008, 12:21 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most important featue in the JDM is the 2.0 litre engine with the twinscrll turbo much more refined then the uk 2.5 and has plenty of power.

Immy
Old 21 February 2008, 01:10 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by juggers
The most important featue in the JDM is the 2.0 litre engine with the twinscrll turbo much more refined then the uk 2.5 and has plenty of power.

Immy
I agree with above 2.0ltr is much stronger and it has a quicker rack

(IIRC the UK 2.5 also has a Twin Scroll turbo )

Originally Posted by wateronmars
marmski, what is the difference exactly? 18" alloys and fog lights are optional on uk sti. Actually, is it just me or are the mirrors bigger on uk sti ?
Thats one of the big un answered question what specs are the UK STis coming here in. Just remember the UK demo will have all the goodies that you won't get on the Basic STi.

On the EU they were trying to keep to 2 basic setups (specs) "Standard" STi and "Top Spec" or "Sports pack" STi

Basically

"Top spec/sports pack" has all the goodies Sat Nav, Recardos, 18", button start jobby, heated mirrors, Audio controls on steering wheel and Fogs lights.

Standard has none of the Above, trust me you NEED 18"s if you like handling 17"s for pure comfort it's like a wet lettuce

With the talk of a lowly 330=340 bhp for PPP and rumours that it may not even be available as an add on eg only fitted to a "Prodrive SE Models" !!

I've tested the JDM WRX on 17"s . The STi JDM on 18"s and although a 2.0ltr running a conservitive 350bhp it should get 375bhp with a bit of a tweak, has a Quicker Rack and 8.4Krpm a real performance Car

I was hoping the new UK model would tempt me back to the Fold, but can't see it ringing anyones bell in Standard form .

At the moment it will probably be a JDM or a Wharehouse EU model or a RA-R

IMHO IIRC

when comparing prices never assume the Spec. double check, or you maybe dissapointed

Some prices banded around

EU/UK Importers top spec £26,995 OTR works
EU /car warehouse top spec £24,995 OTR works

UK Dealer standard Spec £24,995 OTR
UK Dealer top spec £26,995 OTR not clarified what spec does or does not include

JDM bottom spec £24,995 OTR and optional extras up to £28,995 OTR
JDM top spec £26,995 OTR (PCM)

IIRC IMHO

Tony
Old 21 February 2008, 01:37 AM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

Don't know if you've seen the March Jap Performance Tony, Litchfield Type 20.
365bhp / 350lb ft with Ecutec remap, Miltek exhaust, AST suspension, 18" Speedlines. Quoted as being "just over £30,000"

Don't know if that's good or bad, seems a bit pricey to me.
£5-6K more that a top spec Euro Import.
Old 21 February 2008, 01:43 AM
wateronmars
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply Tony.
Not sure why you don't know the UK spec though. I visited a UK dealer and didn't see a top spec model. They do have a base model, which is, as you said 24,995 OTR. You can get extras, which include 18" Wheels at 1K, fogs at don't remember the price, different grill etc. There was also an option for exhaust frames, like the once on litchfields car. The base model includes standard seats, no option for recaros or sat nav at all. Actually the guy I spoke to didn't know much himself as he just received the options specs. These are actually the minor differences apart from the seats.

Tony what did you think of the 08 sti you drove ? How does it compare to 2.5 UK car if you drove those too ?
Old 21 February 2008, 03:05 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for reply Tony.
No Problem

Thanks for reply Tony.
Not sure why you don't know the UK spec though....... Actually the guy I spoke to didn't know much himself as he just received the options specs.
Exactly my Point UK Dealers haven't gota clue most see this Hatch as the last hope before the all bail out where as EU/supermarkets are trying to stick with the 2 specs I mentioned

BELOW IS SOME "OLD" SPEC SHEETS BUT MAYBE BE TRUE, might give you an Idea of spec differences or what to look for that's missing

You can get extras, which include 18" Wheels at 1K, fogs at don't remember the price, different grill etc. There was also an option for exhaust frames, The base model includes standard seats, no option for recaros or sat nav at all.
Well thats the UK F**k up for you, hence the Top spec/Sports pack EU/ Car warehouse represents FAR better value for money at the same Spec as the bottom spec UK Sti and stil 3 yr Warrenty IIRC. Yet the JDM 2.0ltr gives at the Moment the most power and quicker Rack

Tony what did you think of the 08 sti you drove ? How does it compare to 2.5 UK car if you drove those too ?
]

I 've driven most UKs newage model 02-07 Sti with without PPP, Modded unmodded, WRi's and RB320's on road and Track. Also driven JDM STi's, Spec C's, type RA and RA-R's, Type 25 mk1 and Type25 Cossys. I own a MY06 Type20.

Driven both JDM 08 WRX on 17's and 18's and JDM 08 STi 18"s also a PX ride in a UK 08 WRX you maybe truely underwhelmed by the UK's WRX08's performance

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ong-story.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...jdm-today.html

Each has their good points and Bad points and also depends on what you expect from the Car Do you do Trackdays? Shopping town car? only Car? weekend Car? Fun Car? Family holiday ocassional sports Car? boy Racer rag it everywhere car?

but if if the UK STi is slower than the JDM STI as the UK WRX is to the JDM WRX avoid like the plaque. The standard experience, although quick, is VERY Bland, engine very quite, twin scroll gives progressive power rather than break neck, tyres suspension VERY compliant/soft. but non standard the car is a VERY usefull tool talk of 400bhp PPP got my juices flowing no point having extra cc if you can't do anything with it

That said, the 08 JDM STi I tried was nearly "Comparable" spec to my MY06JDM Type 20 although it wasn't fully finnished and some remaining engine tweaks and supension parts were still to be done. I say it was, as quick and better handling than my Car, so after it is finnished much better

IMHO IIRC

Tony
Old 21 February 2008, 03:56 AM
wateronmars
Scooby Newbie

Exactly my Point UK Dealers haven't gota clue most see this Hatch as the last hope before the all bail out where as EU/supermarkets are trying to stick with the 2 specs I mentioned
You're probably right. He had the complete options list in front of him, yet when I asked about the recaros he did not have a clue. A little more enthusiasm in the product would probably help to understand the market better.

Well thats the UK F**k up for you, hence the Top spec/Sports pack EU/ Car warehouse represents FAR better value for money at the same Spec as the bottom spec UK Sti and stil 3 yr Warrenty IIRC. Yet the JDM 2.0ltr gives at the Moment the most power and quicker Rack
Maybe it's just marketing and there really will be some tuned model with missing options.

I 've driven most UKs newage model 02-07 Sti with without PPP, Modded unmodded, WRi's and RB320's on road and Track. Also driven JDM STi's, Spec C's, type RA and RA-R's, Type 25 mk1 and Type25 Cossys. I own a MY06 Type20.

Each has their good points and Bad points and also depends on what you expect from the Car Do you do Trackdays? Shopping town car? only Car? weekend Car? Fun Car? Family holiday ocassional sports Car? boy Racer rag it everywhere car?
That's the thing here, I'm planning to drive much less, but really use it for both family day out and occasional trackday maybe. A second car is not really an option atm due to luck of parking space. So I'm thinking a family day out is best in the uk car, but then again, less driving = more tuning and on uk car that would mean loosing warranty. I gotta think about this more

That said, the 08 JDM STi I tried was nearly "Comparable" spec to my MY06JDM Type 20 although it wasn't fully finnished and some remaining engine tweaks and supension parts were still to be done. I say it was, as quick and better handling than my Car, so after it is finnished much better
Hmmm, the only problem here I guess is the initial price, quoting DCR59 a £30k+ for well performing type 20.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:32 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

A little more enthusiasm in the product would probably help to understand the market better.
The UK market recovered really well in 2004-2006 but the last 18months they've had the s@@t kick out of them economy, tax, petrol etc

I heard in the last 18months UK Impreza's sales were 90% down compared to pervious 18months

I'm planning to drive much less, but really use it for both family day out and occasional trackday maybe. A second car is not really an option atm due to luck of parking space. So I'm thinking a family day out is best in the uk car, but then again, less driving = more tuning and on uk car that would mean loosing warranty. I gotta think about this more

Hmmm, the only problem here I guess is the initial price, quoting DCR59 a £30k+ for well performing type 20.
If I were you I'd just go half way to to the Type 20 don't have Coilovers fitted just lowering springs and anti roll bars, exhaust and remap. Speak to Iain Litcho and have a chat and test drive by then you should be able to compare UK against JDM

Tony

Ps Iain a nice guy but jhust hide your credit card LOL
Old 21 February 2008, 11:42 AM
Foxmod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
The UK market recovered really well in 2004-2006 but the last 18months they've had the s@@t kick out of them economy, tax, petrol etc

I heard in the last 18months UK Impreza's sales were 90% down compared to pervious 18months

If I were you I'd just go half way to to the Type 20 don't have Coilovers fitted just lowering springs and anti roll bars, exhaust and remap. Speak to Iain Litcho and have a chat and test drive by then you should be able to compare UK against JDM

Tony

Ps Iain a nice guy but jhust hide your credit card LOL
I'm thinking along these lines now too Tony, I have thought of a Type 25 in the new shape, but a "new" type 25 would need to be very special to warrant the extra £10K or so over a type 20..... I'll be visiting Ian later in the year to make my own mind up via a chat and a test drive, hopefully a type 25 will be ready for then

BTW I used to have a 03 STi Type UK, so this would be new for me to go down the JDM route

Dave
Old 21 February 2008, 12:57 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
I agree with above 2.0ltr is much stronger and it has a quicker rack

(IIRC the UK 2.5 also has a Twin Scroll turbo )
UK has single scroll.