Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 - Something sticking & stopping me pulling away

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 07:54 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the infinite wisdom of fellow scoobynetters can help me with a problem.

If I leave my P1 for 2/3 days, then get in and try to pull away, as I engage the clutch, it feels like something is sticking ie a brake pad (is that possible?). If I increase the revs to apply more torque then there is a thump and everything is fine. Does anyone know what this problem could be?

Many thanks
Adi

[Edited by chopper - 1/22/2002 7:55:10 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 07:56 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I had this problem with the handbrake on my Mondeo once. It turned out it was a rear brake cylinder leaking very slightly, mixing with the brake dust, and caused a real gunge that made the jandbrake jam on. Rocking the car slightly caused it to free, however made a real clunk as it did so.

Can't see it being that on a new car like yours though.
Old 22 January 2002, 08:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My MR2 is doing exactly the same at the moment. Cos I am working from home, it stands on the street for days at a time.

Went out to move it last night after it was stood for 2 days and as I started to reverse, it felt like it was stuck. There was then a loud pop from the front and it was fine.

However I have already had it diagnosed by my garage as a knackered front brake caliper. It works but just needs this brake type grease on the discs - I will get it done soon, but it is £85 for an exchange and takes 3 days!!!! So labour costs would be a nightmare.

DW
Old 22 January 2002, 09:50 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Mine does that too when its been parked up for a few days.

I reckon its the pads sticking onto the disks or the handbrake - one 'clunk' and we are off again.

ho hum

Ian.
Old 22 January 2002, 09:52 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
When my P1 has been standing a bit, a day or two, i can hear what sounds like the pads on the discs (when the brakes are not applied) when the wheels are rolling. No "stickiness" though. Also i have to be careful when breaking for the first few times as brakes are very crap. After a few applications the brakes are fine again. ( could that be the fluid????)
Old 22 January 2002, 11:08 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine does this occasionally as it's generally stuck in the garage during the week. Seems to be worse if I put her away when wet ?

Steve.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:35 AM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

It's just rust on the disks and will clean off after you use the footbrake a couple of times

Paul
Old 23 January 2002, 07:30 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Chopper, Paul H is correct

The pads stick onto the discs front and rear through corrosive action between the two. This is nothing to do with the handbrake, if you leave your handbrake off it will still do it. The handbrake is a drum brake contained within the rear brakes bellhousing.

In an extreme case, I couldnt move my car at all!! My wife had washed it and put it straight into the garage. Then left for 5 weeks when we were in Greece on holiday. Result? totally seized. Helpful Subaru assist man suggested he haul it out of my garage with all four wheels locked! I think not said I. He eventually agreed to enter garage and take off the wheels and free up the brakes with a Hammer. (The old methods are the best!)

We now move the car every 3-4 days no matter what. My fathers Mercedes also suffers in the same way. Does this mean that Subarus have German build quality then?? Just a thought!

Beastie
Old 23 January 2002, 08:58 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I wonder if those with brake upgrade packages suffer the same problem? If not, this may be the extra push I need to justify the expense of an AP kit..
Old 23 January 2002, 09:28 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry Chopper - I have the Prodrive upgrade and I still get the problem.

Of course the wife doe not need to know this does she ?
Old 23 January 2002, 09:44 AM
JohnS

Even the AP brakes suffer from the same symptoms, but you soon get used to it. A few dabs fo the brakes after pulling off soon clears off the deposits/rust whatever.

I find the car needs to be left for more than a day for it to happen. If left only overnight, then I rarely have a problem.
Old 23 January 2002, 09:47 AM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Got the prodrive deal on the P1 and the same problem, just pads sticking i think, no real problem i hope
Ian
Old 23 January 2002, 09:58 AM
Jonty B
Scooby Regular

I raised this question on the Wheels / Tyres/ Brakes forum at the weekend.

My car was left for a week (after being washed) and one of the rear brakes has stuck fast. I had a "pop" from one side but no moving back or fowards is going to shift the other one.

I've taken off the wheel to inspect the situation myself but have asked someone in the know to come out to sort it.

The fronts (EBC disks and pads) are fine. Backs are unmodded.

Jonty
Old 23 January 2002, 03:34 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

After speaking to a dealer, it seems that scraping due to disk corrosion after standing idle in the wet for days is normal, but seizing to the point of not being able to pull away without a bootful of torque most certainly isn't.

As to exactly what is corroding, I guess I'll have to wait for wheels off to shed more light.

Old 23 January 2002, 03:59 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

It's the same thing on most cars. My evo does it as well but I've found a very simple solution......

Don't leave the car in the garage for a long time and get out and drive it most days

Andy
Old 23 January 2002, 04:28 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Cool

Get sticking pads with AP's if wet. So either drive the car around the road braking to assist with drying before putting away, or park in garage with handbrake off and bricks under wheels.
Old 23 January 2002, 04:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have had similar problems in my MR2, but the Scooby is fine so far.
My motorcycle does it now after I just upgraded the front disks to EBC and EBC pads... I left it for a week after the resent rain and had to unbolt both front calipers and hit them with a hammer to get them off. it is just the surface rust on the disks.

Don't think there is a way around it except to move it regularly.

Original Honda brakes were fine...
Old 23 January 2002, 05:31 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

For those of you with similar problems, further investigation has revealed that this is most likely a sticking handbrake drum (I didn't know scoobys had a drum handbrake). I shall leave it off for a few days and see if this is indeed the problem.

It's a bit cr*p getting this on such a new car though.
Old 23 January 2002, 05:57 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try parking in gear and not using the handbrake. If you're on a hill, use the handbrake to hold the car while you switch off, then release it once the car is in gear.

I get the same if it's rained a lot and the car has been still for a couple of days. It's happened on other cars too.

Not as bad as the screeching one car of mine used to make if I hadn't switched the engine on all week!