Sponsored by:

how to

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2008, 08:43 PM
sbm251
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to

hello every one that reads this need little bit of help on maintenance on a subaru impreza 1.6.
do i have to change the gearbox oil every so often and filters and other things just my dad has said get a ford because they are cheaper to maintain than a subaru 1.6 and all of the other subaru's.
Can any one help me out many thanks shane.
and any good sites for bits for the 1.6 lol
Old 12 February 2008, 10:00 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

same as any car its worthwhilst checking it, its not particularly expensive, for instance scoobyclinic charge around £25 for the oil to be changed in the gearbox. your dads just being your dad, he is looking out for you. to be fair subarus are great and they are very good and have great longevity if left standard, just look after it and it will go forever.

hth

James
Old 12 February 2008, 10:45 PM
sbm251
Scooby Newbie

he is saying after every 3 thousand miles the oil has to be changed in the engine , gearbox.
is this correct as i cant find anything on a website that has advice ect any help many thanks shane.
Old 12 February 2008, 11:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

What does your service book say?
Old 13 February 2008, 04:19 PM
sbm251
Scooby Newbie

sorry dont have a subaru 1.6 yet because im trying to find out as much info about it.
like is it going to cost more than any other 1.6.
my dad has said they are very expensive to keep on the road because you have to change oil all the time fuel filters, air filter is this correct.
i said it souds like a turbo one because they are high performance but he keeps saying subaru's are all like it.
any one that has a 1.6 help me lol thank you.
Old 13 February 2008, 04:25 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The 1.6 probably will be slightly more expensive to maintain than a 1.6 Ford, but not by much. The 2.0 and 2.5 Turbos are expensive to run and maintain, but the non turbo versions wont be.

The engine in the Impreza is actually very strong and reliable ( like pretty much all Japanese cars ) and only really gets problems when it is highly tuned. A standard 1.6 engine should last for miles without any problems, and will be more reliable than a lot of other cars on the road.
Old 13 February 2008, 05:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mikes bang on the money. in a NA scoob no real need to do short oil change intervals.

bear in mind the turbo increases the pressure inside the engine in the same space so puts more strain on the components and fluids, hence regular changes
Old 13 February 2008, 11:49 PM
sbm251
Scooby Newbie

ok thanks
MikeCardiff
Tidgy

dad has it wrong then ill tell him that anyone no the sort of price for one in good condition and whats the millage limit on them and.
many thanks to every one else that has help me so far on scoobynet forum.