Sponsored by:

Wrong Chassis Number on V5

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 07:13 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any idea if there is a quick way of sorting this out?

Seems someone at the DVLA was incapable of entering the chassis number of my car correctly (1 character wrong) when I initially registered it. Now being the stupid individual that I am I have never bothered checking it, until today. I gave the correct number out so someone could run an HPI check on the car, only for them to be told it was invalid.
Got home tonight, dug out the V5 and found the mistake.
Just hoping I don't have to send the form away, and wait for it to come back as I'm in the process of selling the car.

I did try phoning the DVLA during the day, but only got to listen to the engaged tone have left an e-mail with them, and will try phoning again tomorrow. Just hoping someone had some words of wisdom (beyond, 'you should have checked it before now' )
Old 21 January 2002, 10:04 PM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

Damn Robertio you have just reminded me!

My V5 states that my car is a 5 door wagon!!!! Those of you who have seen my car will verify that it isn't. THis mistake came about when I put the personalised reg on. The V5 went off as a four door saloon and came back as a wagon

I think the only thing is to send it off again like I have just

Sorry!
Old 21 January 2002, 10:36 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my STi5. Someone thought an 8 was a B when it was imported. The cops wouldn't leave me alone; in the boot, under the sills, carpets peeled back, torches all over the place. Four cars at one stage. It was as though they wanted it too be nicked.
Old 21 January 2002, 11:43 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mine just says 2 axle rigid body 4 door saloon.

Robertio, i'd say you'd have to send off the reg document with the change of vehicle details bit filled in theres a section chassis number. May be worth putting a note in there saying it was printed wrong as the chassis number has not been altered.

May take a couple of weeks to sort though.
Old 21 January 2002, 11:47 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Robertio, sorry forgot to say. You have to book it in at your local VRO to have an inspector agree its a mistake. They then sent off your log book for you and you get it back adjusted. Dunt take long.
Old 22 January 2002, 06:54 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the response, I just hope the VRO office is open at the weekend then, as there is no way I should have to take time off work because of a mistake on their part. Ihave all the original paperwork, including the DVLA stamped copy of the Invoice which has the correct chassis number on it.
Old 22 January 2002, 08:05 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to me.

I just sent my V5 to DVLA with the correction and a separate note highlighting the error and they returned it within 2 weeks (as usual). There was no need for an inspectin but I guess they would have the right to do this.

PS. I also got them to change the "2-axle rigid body saloon" bit* to "Impreza Turbo 2000" at the same time. No questions asked.

PS. * I think this is caused by the fact that a WhatCar? freebie supplement showed you how to complete the registration forms and that is what they suggested you wrote in the model field for some reason... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]