Sponsored by:

Everyone Read, I need Technical & Legal Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2008, 05:04 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone Read, I need Technical & Legal Advice

Right folks, this would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic and serious. Forgive me right now cos this is a bit of a long post, but please read, I’d like opinions and feedback from fellow owners.

Right, back in October I was stopped by Northern Constabulary (Inverness police) for having an excessively loud exhaust. (this is the 6th time in 2 years, I don’t even live there any longer I only return 1 or 2 times a month to see family). The car currently has a Scooby World center section and a Ninja backbox. The car is an Impreza STI V5 and is still running the standard Subaru downpipe, thus the exhaust is fitted as per manufacturer guidelines for use. The exhaust system itself is in good condition, with no damage or faults whatsoever. The car is regularly MOT’d and passes without any issues at all.

The basis for being stopped is that I was told its illegal to replace a vehicle exhaust system with one which is designed to increase noise output. The section in the Road Traffic act that I was quoted is Section 42 (b) and the Road Vehicle Construction and Use Act 1986, citing Regulation 54, Sections 41 (a) and 41 (b). The standard format for this is to produce a fixed penalty notice of £30, however as I understand that I have not broken any law, I have refused to pay, hence the escalation to a court date. (paying a fine would be an admission of guilt in my opinion, but max fine is now 2.5k)

The basis of the case is centred on it being illegal to modify any exhaust to increase noise or alter the flow path of exhaust gases (this I understand relates to the alteration of baffles, exhaust construction etc). When I argued the case that I have not modified an exhaust I had in fact replaced the OE part with an aftermarket item, I am informed that the law also covers this as illegal, specifically if the aftermarket item is designed to increase the noise output from said vehicle. (However I did try to argue that items such as Kwik-fit etc are also non-OE so should be prosecutable, without any success)

The basis of the argument is that having undertaken noise testing of the exhaust (the validity of said practise is in question) they have obtained readings at 2000 and 4000 rpm (again I am investigating if this is correct). This is then compared with the outputs the police allegedly have recorded from a standard (MY03 WRX STI (UKDM)) (again these are issues of contention here). The readings they have provided are produced below.

(MY99 STI V5) output in (dB)

2000rpm = 92.9
4000rpm = 99.4

MY 03 WRX STI output (dB)

2000 rpm =75.5
4000 rpm =81.7

So basically because my car is louder than there figures then its got an illegal exhaust, reasoning with the police is/was a waste of time I am of course seeking legal advice on its matter, but would welcome accurate info from tuners/suppliers/ lawyers/ coppers on here.

Information I’m trying to obtain includes
  • ·The specification differences in engine and build that mean an Import MY99 STI cannot be compared to a UK MY03.
  • ·What are the SVA requirements for noise at test. I think its 2/3rds max rpm and limit is 102dB can anyone confirm and the distances criteria for recording.
  • ·Been looking on the Home Office site relating to approval of the sound equipment used, I can only find GATSO and speeding equipment, anyone know about sound equipment?
  • ·Any other info or avenues that may be of use to give to my solicitor, I want to make sure I win and show the coppers for being the highly inept individuals they are.
Thanks in advance and sorry its such a long yarn
Old 10 February 2008, 05:36 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry I can't help, but this isn't the first time Inverness Police have done this, did someone with a PPP exhaust not have the same problem with them?
Old 10 February 2008, 07:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep. Do a search. Prodrive even took the car away and their lawyers sorted it out.
Old 10 February 2008, 07:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...l-exhaust.html
Old 10 February 2008, 07:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Do Inverness Police have any PPPd Traffic cars?
Old 10 February 2008, 07:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Perhaps use a different Tack

1) Exhaust which was fitted when legally SVA Tested and Imported was replaced due to "leaking/rotten" and no increase in noise, you have changed like for like.

At trackdays they normally test 1 metre away at a 45 degree angle from exhaust Then to be fair 99.4db at 4000rpm then is quite loud and fair IMHO

but if the reading is taken with the stuck up the exhaust pipe then thats not loud at all. IIRC "noise readings" are never taken directly at source.

If you test an exhaust and move it varying distances and angles from the exhaust you WILL get very different reading. If there is no guide lines on how readings are obtained borrow a meter and video tape yourself replicated the test. You can prove you can get your care to Pass.

Try the "noise abatement Society" see if they have guide lines.

Tony
Old 10 February 2008, 08:04 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

The process used is to position the equipment 50cm from the exhaust and in direct line of gasses (so gets plenty low frequency resonance effects and gas buffeting), they also interpert the 45° as being they tilt the meter at 45°, not the angle of rotation with respect to the exhaust location.

This is one point I'm trying to work on, however I am going to contact VOSA to find out the testing requirements they use.

Unfortunately the previous cases always seem to end up with the accused paying up, thats what happened in the previous thread and with others I know. I refuse to pay as IMO thats an admission of guilt.

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2008, 08:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Just a pointer, the officer should be qualified in the use of the equipment and any equipment should be approved by the HO(hehe makes me laugh every time). Furthermore, the equipment should be have a test cerificate with it to say that it was servicable, it had been calibrated on ***** date, as these items can be knocked about abit. Non-Compliance of the above could be classed as incorrect proceedure.

Copied quote from the Illegal Exhaust Thread.
Old 10 February 2008, 08:16 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Just a pointer, the officer should be qualified in the use of the equipment and any equipment should be approved by the HO(hehe makes me laugh every time). Furthermore, the equipment should be have a test cerificate with it to say that it was servicable, it had been calibrated on ***** date, as these items can be knocked about abit. Non-Compliance of the above could be classed as incorrect proceedure.

Copied quote from the Illegal Exhaust Thread.
Yeah I have already sent an email to the HO for a list of approved sound equipment as I couldn't find it listed on their site

At the time I asked for calibration certificates and an approved method statement for use also the officer qualifications for the equipment. I was politely informed "you will see that when you go to court'
Old 10 February 2008, 08:19 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

@99db I'm surprised they haven't seized the car and crushed it..
Old 10 February 2008, 09:08 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

My main argument to them would be :

If it passes an MOT test the car is fully legal to drive on public roads!!

the car should also have to be compared to the exact same one as yours not a 2003 car, manufacturers obviously would have made changes!

If they do manage to win this case they will undermine the whole MOT set up, being that a non street legal car can pass a MOT!!

good luck with it
Old 10 February 2008, 10:11 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

The MSA Blue Book states that for "Road Rallies" (forget track day limits - your not on a track) the maximum db is 102 at 5000 RPM, taken by a reading at 0.5m and at a 45deg angle from the exhaust tip.

Now a Road Rally is an MSA approved event held on open roads.

Now someone somewhere has come up with this figure, and given that the MSA is the governing body of all UK motorsport, It's probably correct.

I hope that helps, Good luck.

Dave
Old 10 February 2008, 11:20 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sandyRS16i
Yeah I have already sent an email to the HO for a list of approved sound equipment as I couldn't find it listed on their site

At the time I asked for calibration certificates and an approved method statement for use also the officer qualifications for the equipment. I was politely informed "you will see that when you go to court'
The police/prosecution are obliged to show you their case just as they are entitled to see your. Witholding relevant inofrmation does not allow you to prepare your case and I'm sure the judge would agree.

But I must say, all this over a £30 ticket is over the top: you should have taken the ticket and paid it. The point of principles is to know when not to stick to them!
Old 11 February 2008, 12:19 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

MOT is only valid at the time it was carried out. You could easily have changed the exhaust later. I have heard of people replacing cats, legal plates etc., just for the test, then removing them again therefore I would not even think about that line of argument.

The law, to anyoine sensible, relates to making holes, removing silencers etc., to make an exhaust louder, not purchasing an aftermarket unit which is louder.

Good luck.
Old 11 February 2008, 03:21 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

The process used is to position the equipment 50cm from the exhaust and in direct line of gasses (so gets plenty low frequency resonance effects and gas buffeting),
You are right they are measuring exhaust gasses hitting the Mic and NOT the sound from the exhaust. This is WHY it should be at 45° to the exhaust

they also interpert the 45° as being they tilt the meter at 45°, not the angle of rotation with respect to the exhaust location.
"In accordance with the ISO 5130 standard, the microphone should be positioned 0.5m from the exhaust outlet at an angle of 45°."

Making Vehicle Noise Measurements Using the CR261S

complete numpities IMHO They ought to stand directly behind a Jet with afterburner on

Tony

Other places of interest

Cirrus Research plc Sound Level Meters&Noise Dosemeters

http://www.cirrusresearch.co.uk/pdf_..._en_001_ds.pdf

Last edited by T5NYW; 11 February 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11 February 2008, 08:26 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby
But I must say, all this over a £30 ticket is over the top: you should have taken the ticket and paid it. The point of principles is to know when not to stick to them!
Yeah, perhaps, but easy to say when your not from the area and not hounded by the local cops. In 2 years I have had 6 tickets and only occasionally visit the place to see family and friends (once a month maybe).

I have been stopped on dual carriage ways which pass north not even near the town (both day and night), they stopped outside a bank once to wait for me to exit and ticket my car........I pay plenty in road/fuel tax and taxes on salary and purchase, im not paying an extra payment for driving........its like a communist corupt police state lol
Old 11 February 2008, 08:27 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
You are right they are measuring exhaust gasses hitting the Mic and NOT the sound from the exhaust. This is WHY it should be at 45° to the exhaust

"In accordance with the ISO 5130 standard, the microphone should be positioned 0.5m from the exhaust outlet at an angle of 45°."

Making Vehicle Noise Measurements Using the CR261S

complete numpities IMHO They ought to stand directly behind a Jet with afterburner on

Tony

Other places of interest

Cirrus Research plc Sound Level Meters&Noise Dosemeters

http://www.cirrusresearch.co.uk/pdf_..._en_001_ds.pdf
Thats brilliant info there, i shall dig out more on the SO standard today
Old 11 February 2008, 08:43 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, perhaps, but easy to say when your not from the area and not hounded by the local cops. In 2 years I have had 6 tickets and only occasionally visit the place to see family and friends (once a month maybe).

I have been stopped on dual carriage ways which pass north not even near the town (both day and night), they stopped outside a bank once to wait for me to exit and ticket my car........I pay plenty in road/fuel tax and taxes on salary and purchase, im not paying an extra payment for driving........its like a communist corupt police state lol
I wish you all the best, but, if you just visit a couple of times a month wouldn't it be worth your while fitting your car with a bung whilst in the area?

After the 6th ticket surely you would have thought that a bung would be cheaper?

Also, have you paid the previous 5 tickets? If you have you may have allready admitted guilt simply due to the fact that you paid the previous fines - or is it that you haven't paid any?
Old 11 February 2008, 08:52 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I wish you all the best, but, if you just visit a couple of times a month wouldn't it be worth your while fitting your car with a bung whilst in the area?

After the 6th ticket surely you would have thought that a bung would be cheaper?

Also, have you paid the previous 5 tickets? If you have you may have allready admitted guilt simply due to the fact that you paid the previous fines - or is it that you haven't paid any?
No i havent paid the fines, fortunately all have expired and passed the 6 month period in which they can be taken to court.

If the exhaust was genuinely noisy then I would get a bung, however this is not the case, if you place your ear at exhaust level then yes as with any vehicle it will be loud. But i cant see that helping as they have issued fines for PPP and STI backboxes as well. When i asked what i could fit I was informed only the backbox from a UK car with the 2 small exits is suitable (thats a classic UK turbo item), anything else and I will get stopped any time they see me, or will be checking my car anywhere I park it.

Additionally, Im not some boy racer who spends his wknds driving round city centers, Im a late 20's qualified and chartered analysis engineer who just has an interest in cars

Last edited by sandyRS16i; 11 February 2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11 February 2008, 10:24 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

They probably wont take this to court either because it could make other prossecutions unsafe. So possible high losses with little gain

a long time ago, I had a "littering" offence, I contested as although i did drop it I did pick it back up had 3 court dates but each time officer never turned up (but I HAD to) in the end took the £20 fine as was losing more having time off work. with a VERY young family/morgage and new job after 12months redundacy money meant more than pricincipals

Anyway best of luck
Old 11 February 2008, 10:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd be looking very carefully at the legality of them comparing the exhaust of an STi5 import, with that of an 03 UK spec car too.

I can't imagine that it's allowed.

HOWEVER: Dunno what the system is in Sweaty sock land, but here in England, you could expect to be bent over and reamed in a magistrates court, and have to appeal it to crown court.

Alcazar
Old 11 February 2008, 11:43 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweaty sock land
Old 11 February 2008, 11:55 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

So if your not aloud to change the OE exhaust, then how can so many companys make the systems in the first place if they know that there are illegal. When you buy these systems there is nothing on them or written down anywhere that says that they are not for road use!

How does the Pagani Zonda get on then, or a Harley motorbike??
Old 11 February 2008, 12:34 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
How does the Pagani Zonda get on then, or a Harley motorbike??
They are stock exhausts - same as TVR's, I've had my STI with a Blitz Nur Spec R running next to Cerbera and you couldn't even hear my car!

Out of interest, is it different/same coppers doing this? As I know quiet a few who wouldn't even bother to look at such a thing as they'd "rather be catching real *******" (their words )
Old 11 February 2008, 06:47 PM
WRX-DAN
Scooby Regular

has anyone had problems with exhaust noise in the south of england in hampshire?

i have a blitz bur spec system on mine straight through which is very load! but i wont worry bout it unless its a common thing to get shagged for by rip off britton lol
Old 11 February 2008, 07:44 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
MOT is only valid at the time it was carried out. You could easily have changed the exhaust later. I have heard of people replacing cats, legal plates etc., just for the test, then removing them again therefore I would not even think about that line of argument.

The law, to anyoine sensible, relates to making holes, removing silencers etc., to make an exhaust louder, not purchasing an aftermarket unit which is louder.

Good luck.
i see where your coming from but he could always take it back with police present to prove it passes ok, and then they could retest it. this of course only proves it passes mot, not the point their arguing (which in my opinion is bull)
Old 11 February 2008, 08:11 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be worth getting a copy of "Motor Vehicle - Construction and Use Regulations" from HMSO or Dept of Transport.
That should tell you for sure.

Mick
Old 11 February 2008, 09:30 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Surly they can't test a 99 car and compare this to a 2003 car, the exhausts are different, baring in mind the newer car has to meet stricter emissions so therefor is going to quiter as there is an extra cat for starters, they are also of a different length design, extra baffles ETC.

Do they compare a 1986 BMW 3 series and compare this to 2008 3 Series???? I think not.

If they are going to issue an ticket they must compare like for like, so at the very least a 99 ukcar
Old 11 February 2008, 09:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not being very helpfull here, but...are the inverness police just basically a bunch of c*nts?? Obviously nothing better to do than check out exhausts all day.

Alan
Old 12 February 2008, 12:21 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Pete, have you ever been been stopped by the police re your Ninja ? Is it particularly noisy ? (I have the Prodrive BB but decatted apart from a Ninja sportscar downpipe).

Quick Reply: Everyone Read, I need Technical & Legal Advice