Sponsored by:

Doing an Andy Tang....

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 03:20 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have just joined the ever growing list of Ex-Impreza owners. Although I absolutely loved the car at first the running costs finally got to me in the end. The fact that the 2 years service was due soon and it also needed new brake pads and road tax was the final nail in the coffin so it seemed as good a time as any to get out.

Things I will miss :

Excellent dealers (Cheam Motors NOT Bell & Colvill).
Effortless performance.
Roadholding and grip.
The fact that it is so easy to drive fast it makes a muppet like me look good.

Things I won't miss :

Rattles and squeeks and poor build quality.
DBM paint that scratches if you look at it wrong.
Fuel Economy.
Outrageous servicing costs.
High Insurance.
Juddering clutch when I am in stop start traffic on the way to work.
Being scared to leave the car anywhere incase it got damaged.

Over the 22 months I have owned the Impreza it has cost me roughly £700 a month to run (finance costs, depreciation, fuel, insurance, servicing costs, tyres, road tax etc.).

Still I had wanted one for two years prior to buying the car so at least I got it out of my system.
Old 21 January 2002, 03:40 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

£700 per month!!!
Wow that is a small fortune, 1.5x my mortgage to be exact.
At least now you can say that you have had the pleasure of driving one for a few years.
What is your replacement going to be?
What do ex-Subaru drivers buy?
Old 21 January 2002, 03:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Blimey, when I read the title, I thought you were going to become fat and Chinese!!

Have you decided what you are going to replace your car with?

Me, I'm driving a H-reg mk2 Golf GTI at the moment!!

It amazing to have a car that costs half the depreciation as my first year of Subaru ownership!!!

I've spent about £3k on the car, which includes new tyres and some tary bits, but that's me!!

I'm going to retain good customer service, as Cheam Motors will be servicing my car (again!)

Good luck with your new car
Andy
Old 21 January 2002, 04:11 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy,

Still got the Impreza until Saturday when it is going to live with the dealers and wait for a new owner to love it. I am borrowing the girlfriends mums 8 month old Vauxhall Astra for a while so things are not too bad.

Sad reality is that the Impreza only ever really got driven to work and back (5 miles) and if we went anywhere where we had to leave the car then we would take the girlfriends Punto.

Next car has to be the complete opposite of the Impreza and will basically be an A to B car that I can leave anywhere and not worry about it.

Oh and I bought the wrong colour too...
Old 21 January 2002, 04:23 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I hear what your saying...

My 2 year is due soon, still shocked at the price I been quoted, how can it be so expensive

I only use my car approx 8 miles a day, costs me £25 a week in fuel just for that mileage, my tires are due for renew soon, being 17's thats gonna be a packet.

Just changed the spoiler to an STi6, insurance wanted another £50 for the 6 months left on the policy
I'd rather walk than take my car and park it somewhere dodgy, it spends more time in my garage locked away than it does on the road.

Oh dear, how depressing

Trouble is, theres no other car I'd be happy with, had this over 7 months now (longest I've kept a car in years )

I love it really
Old 21 January 2002, 04:58 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Why didn’t you just by an older Scooby in the first place???
The cost to run would have been lower as you wouldn’t have had to take it to a main dealer, hell you can do most of the servicing stuff your self. They are no more complex than any other car. I have had a MY 94 WRX which I have had for 2 years. Its been more reliable than my last car which was an Audi Quattro.

Ok so it drinks fuel and it’s a bitch to insure , but if you spend less on the initial cost of the car you would have more left to run it.

Iain
Old 21 January 2002, 05:00 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Yep know the feeling as mine goes next Tuesday. Don't have the worry about getting it nicked so much due to where I live but costs are hard to bear.
Spent over 1k this year just to keep it serviced & on the road. Not counting petrol, tax, insurance.
Will maybe go through it all again in 2yrs.
Alasdair

Trending Topics

Old 21 January 2002, 05:08 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Yee,

I really wanted a brand new car, I had never had a brand new car so I thought what the hell and ordered it. Also I didn't really think much about running costs at the time as all I kept thinking was I need one. The other deciding factor was that prices for second hand cars were pretty high at the time. The dealer wanted 18K for a car that was 2 years old so I thought I may as well just pay the extra 3K and get a brand new one. When you are buying a car on a PCP it seems pretty reasonable at the start....

As for buying a WRX well the way prices are going I might just do that and run it as a second car. Just wait a year or so until prices are on their knees and pick one up for under £5K. That way I can do all the servicing myself (my dad used to be a mechanic) and it doesn't matter if it is off the road as it will be a second car. I can also cane the nads off it as it is so cheap I wouldn't care about it.
Old 21 January 2002, 05:23 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that JD. I've been considering changing my MY99 (PCP ends this July). Looked at Honda Civic Type-R on the basis that it'll be cheap to run (not least fuel economy).

But when I got in my Scoob last night at 7.30pm to begin a 160 miles round trip to pick up the kids (having just got back from a 190 miles journey home from Liverpool) I just loved it again. It sat there happily on the A1, giving me fun round the roundabouts but cruising happily down the motorways parts... and having done some sums, selling it now means big depreciation which is ameliorated somewhat by keeping it another year. I can't bear to get rid, and it's financially more sensible to keep hold of it for another year... so it's staying.
Old 21 January 2002, 05:24 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Please excuse my bizarre pluralising... nearly home time and my brain's obviously fading.
Old 21 January 2002, 10:05 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I too, may join this band of merry men that have been led astray by the thoughts of sensible cars.
Our Focus TDCi is on order, and if I can live with it, the scoob will be for sale
Old 21 January 2002, 10:14 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I actually thought i was going to come in here and see another mpg of someone dancing on a video game like tango
Old 21 January 2002, 10:46 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pete, same here, V upset...
Old 21 January 2002, 11:02 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Every time someone sells their beloved scooby, a fairy falls off from the sky and dies....