Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 year old son wants a turbo...general thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2008, 10:42 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 year old son wants a turbo...general thoughts?

Hi, I have been a member on here for quite a while now. I had a version 4 type R in white and thought it was amazing. Now my son is 19 and wants a turbo himself. He is thinking of buying a sport and doing a turbo engine swap seeing as he can afford to do the conversion but nobody will insure him on a straight turbo. What are your thoughts on this?

He has just had a civic coupe with a engine swap which was running close to 200bhp. Im not sure whats what when it comes to all this.

Thank you for any help!
Old 07 February 2008, 10:47 PM
Will
BANNED

When it comes down to a young lad its ALWAYS insurance. Go look in the insurance section for advise.
Old 07 February 2008, 10:50 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Has he got quotes on insurance for after doing the conversion. I'll bet it'll be the same, if not higher, than the normal turbo. Also cost far more in converting than he'll save (if any savings are there) in insurance.

Save up and buy/insure turbo or wait 'till older to get more NCD. There's also plenty of other quick fun cars that won't cost a fortune in insurance (although any fast car for a 19 year old won't be cheap, and for very good reason)
Old 07 February 2008, 10:51 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ver.4
Hi, I have been a member on here for quite a while now. I had a version 4 type R in white and thought it was amazing. Now my son is 19 and wants a turbo himself. He is thinking of buying a sport and doing a turbo engine swap seeing as he can afford to do the conversion but nobody will insure him on a straight turbo. What are your thoughts on this?

He has just had a civic coupe with a engine swap which was running close to 200bhp. Im not sure whats what when it comes to all this.

Thank you for any help!
Well if no one will insure him on a turbo they defo won't insure him on a sport thats been modified thats unless he tells them porkies and does like what all the young lads do and don't tell the insurance company of the mods on the car
Old 07 February 2008, 11:03 PM
Giddy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, as above insurance is gonna be higher on a highly modified car than a standard factory turbo i reckon.
Old 07 February 2008, 11:10 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A sport would cost ££££££'s to convert. It would be cheaper to pay for a Turbo and insure it in the first place
Old 07 February 2008, 11:11 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

I new a lad that had a 1.3 mk2 astra and made it look like a GTE, just body kept 1.3 engine.

Insurance just said it looks like one so is just as high risk so charged him same as a proper GTE.
Old 07 February 2008, 11:21 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by haroldhettaturbo

Insurance just said it looks like one so is just as high risk so charged him same as a proper GTE.
if they were charging the poor kid full price for one i hope he had enough sense to convert the engine over as well then, cause he shouldent have had to pay anything extra if he was already paying the full whack
Old 07 February 2008, 11:23 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
A sport would cost ££££££'s to convert. It would be cheaper to pay for a Turbo and insure it in the first place
agree
Old 08 February 2008, 08:47 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Ver.4

Thank you for any help!
Sorry to be negative mate, and no disrespect inteded to you or your son, but 19 year old with a scooby turbo almost invariably means trouble and ends in tears: too much too soon. I was about the most well behaved teenager you could imagine, completely clean driving record too, but hand on heart, looking back, could I have been trusted with a turbo? I honestly don't think so!

Turning a sport into a turbo would be a complete money pit! Combine that with the insurance costs of a kid that age in a turbo engined scooby and you'd need deep pockets.

Much better entries into the world of performance cars for someone his age.

ns04
Old 08 February 2008, 09:16 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

get a sport and keep it a sport for a couple of years, going stright into a turbo is asking for it.

there was a thread on here not long ago aboue an 18 year old m5 driver who killed not only himself but 3 friends when he crashed it.

1 or 2 years driving experiance aint enough to drive a turbo.

sorry if it sounds harsh, but could save his life in the long run
Old 08 February 2008, 09:26 AM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
1 or 2 years driving experiance aint enough to drive a turbo.
I dont agree with ya there Tidgy, Ive had a car licence for just over a year, i had a GL for 12 months and went on to an Sti. I think its the driver and what kind of person they are thats counts. I am however 32, I'd agree that a 19yr old and a T2000 spells trouble

How about a 2.0 GL? I'd been riding fast bikes for 10 years, i then passed my car test and got a GL. Its a shame they get overlooked cos of the turbos but they're a quick, fun car to drive and they have “usually” been well looked after.

Shot8

Last edited by Shot8un; 08 February 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08 February 2008, 09:32 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

I would also say no, your looking for trouble, or your son is......

Get a cheap car, and learn to drive that, get experience and then maybe get a turbo.

Admittedley, i passed my test at 20, came to japan (where i am now) and bought myself a lancer evo 2rs at 21, simply because i needed a 4x4 cos i live in the mountains where we get a ton of snow....And the car was under £3000 which is a good price for your first proper car. Insurance was only £700 3rd party, which was more than i was paying for my ax

I drove a 1.0litre citroen ax since i was 17, learning with my dad, but never had time to take my test because of uni. Had one trackday in the ax and a knack for driving since day one, no accidents to this day (tocuh wood)

But to be honest, if you trust your son, and genuinely think that he could safely own a turbo, if its his money, then why not......
Old 08 February 2008, 09:45 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Sorry to be negative mate, and no disrespect inteded to you or your son, but 19 year old with a scooby turbo almost invariably means trouble and ends in tears: too much too soon. I was about the most well behaved teenager you could imagine, completely clean driving record too, but hand on heart, looking back, could I have been trusted with a turbo? I honestly don't think so!

Turning a sport into a turbo would be a complete money pit! Combine that with the insurance costs of a kid that age in a turbo engined scooby and you'd need deep pockets.

Much better entries into the world of performance cars for someone his age.

ns04

Yep totally agree. If I had had a turbo at 19 it would invariably have led to a possibly fatal traffic accident. Also I never wanted a decent car til I could afford to own and run a decent car. Always thought and still do that chavved up Novas, Corsas, Fiestas and Saxos look completely ridiculous. Better to save for a few years to mature a bit whilst building up no claims for a performance car.
Old 08 February 2008, 09:51 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Yep totally agree. If I had had a turbo at 19 it would invariably have led to a possibly fatal traffic accident. Also I never wanted a decent car til I could afford to own and run a decent car. Always thought and still do that chavved up Novas, Corsas, Fiestas and Saxos look completely ridiculous. Better to save for a few years to mature a bit whilst building up no claims for a performance car.
Let me add to that, I never tuned my citroen ax, just left it as it was from the factory and learned to drive that. Sure, we all like to put ouf foot down when were young.

But if i were to redline my 270bhp evo like i used redline my 45bhp ax, id be dead within a few streets of my house.......
Old 08 February 2008, 09:54 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Lets just hope he has some restraint.

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...nevitable.html
Old 08 February 2008, 10:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shot8un
I dont agree with ya there Tidgy, Ive had a car licence for just over a year, i had a GL for 12 months and went on to an Sti. I think its the driver and what kind of person they are thats counts. I am however 32, I'd agree that a 19yr old and a T2000 spells trouble

How about a 2.0 GL? I'd been riding fast bikes for 10 years, i then passed my car test and got a GL. Its a shame they get overlooked cos of the turbos but they're a quick, fun car to drive and they have “usually” been well looked after.

Shot8

i think its an age thing in combination with lack of experiance
Old 08 February 2008, 10:07 AM
jim16v
Scooby Regular

i used to own a corsa sxi - 1.2 16v group 3 insurance, that was till i put a 2ltr 16v in it! every mod was on my insurance but they still charged me the same insurance as an astra gsi because of the engine, (same goes for impreza sport -> turbo) at the time it was a good idea,but would have just been easyer to buy a fast car in the first place and just pay the insurance on that or wait!
Old 08 February 2008, 10:08 AM
New_scooby_04

i think its an age thing in combination with lack of experiance

Yeah, an 18 year old, even a nice respectable one (as the guy driving the M5 had apparently been) is still an 18 year old. There are RARE exceptions, but it is at this age when you're most confident that you've done the whole growing up thing etc... when in reality most of us mere mortals have sooooo much growing up left to do.

Age is no assurance of wisdom maturity though!!!
Old 08 February 2008, 10:10 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

it should also be noted that the M5 driver was driving at speed, but on a private airfeild where he is entitled to do as he pleases without breaking the law
Old 08 February 2008, 10:19 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i had my uk turbo when i was 18. it was my second car but third car i had been driving. started off driving my mums rover 25, which was a 1.6 auto, took it easy then got a 106 GTI which is also a 1.6 but alot lighter so had some grunt to it (not much though ) i was thinking of tuning that up but diddnt want the boy racer image, cant stand all that. so i sold mine and was looking at seat leons etc but they just diddnt feel fast. i found a quote on the impreza i was looking at. and test drove it, had to have it, i was more suprised at how nice it felt to drive to be honest, the powr was jsut a bonus. i don't agree with everyone saying young drivers can't handle powerful cars,i mean to a certain extent yeah thats true, but i don't think this is the case with imprezas, i think its more of most young people aren't capable of being sensible with powerful cars, or cars in general. with the 18 year old in the m5, that was because he was not sensible in the car which is why he crashed. i have not crashed yet, and when i first got the car i can honestly say i did not break the speed limits for about 2 weeks, and gradually built my self into getting used to the car and learnt how to drive it properly. a boy who is a year younger than me, recently crashed a 1.2 clio becuase he was absolutely caining it round a country lane in the rain ? he almost paralysed the passanger in his car, he has a broken back but will walk. and i think that was down to stupidity and not being sensible. people like him will crash if there in a slow car or a fast car. thats my opinion anyway

Last edited by subaruturbo_18; 08 February 2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08 February 2008, 10:20 AM
New_scooby_04

it should also be noted that the M5 driver was driving at speed, but on a private airfeild where he is entitled to do as he pleases without breaking the law
Yep, think it's fair to say that he certainly wasn't the reckless, irresponsible kind, just a young un caught out by a powerful car! Very sad!
Old 08 February 2008, 10:22 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
i had my uk turbo when i was 18. it was my second car but third car i had been driving. started off driving my mums rover 25, which was a 1.6 auto, took it easy then got a 106 GTI which is also a 1.6 but alot lighter so had some grunt to it (not much though ) i was thinking of tuning that up but diddnt want the boy racer image, cant stand all that. so i sold mine and was looking at seat leons etc but they just diddnt feel fast. i found a quote on the impreza i was looking at. and test drove it, had to have it, i was more suprised at how nice it felt to drive to be honest, the powr was jsut a bonus. i don't agree with everyone saying young drivers can't handle powerful cars, i don't think this is the case, i think its more of young people aren't capable of being sensible with powerful cars, or cars in general. with the 18 year old in the m5, that was because he was not sensible in the car which is why he crashed. i have not crashed yet, and when i first got the car i can honestly say i did notbreak the speed limits for about 2 weeks, and gradually built my self into getting used to the car. a boy who is a year younger than me, recently crashed a 1.2 clio becuase he was absolutely caining it round a country lane in the rain ? he almost paralysed the passanger in his car, he has a broken back but will walk. and i think that was down to stupidity and not being sensible. people like him will crash if there in a slow car or a fast car. thats my opinion anyway
don't get us wrong, were not saying none of the young whippersnappers (god i feel old pmsl) can handel it, were saying that 99% can't or as you sugest arn't mature enough to be driving it.

look at the 4 killed in the big smash two weeks back, a young lad, driving a high power car looses control, wipes out nother can and kills him and his 3 passengers.
Old 08 February 2008, 10:24 AM
New_scooby_04

i had my uk turbo when i was 18. it was my second car but third car i had been driving. started off driving my mums rover 25, which was a 1.6 auto, took it easy then got a 106 GTI which is also a 1.6 but alot lighter so had some grunt to it (not much though ) i was thinking of tuning that up but diddnt want the boy racer image, cant stand all that. so i sold mine and was looking at seat leons etc but they just diddnt feel fast. i found a quote on the impreza i was looking at. and test drove it, had to have it, i was more suprised at how nice it felt to drive to be honest, the powr was jsut a bonus. i don't agree with everyone saying young drivers can't handle powerful cars, i don't think this is the case, i think its more of young people aren't capable of being sensible with powerful cars, or cars in general. with the 18 year old in the m5, that was because he was not sensible in the car which is why he crashed. i have not crashed yet, and when i first got the car i can honestly say i did notbreak the speed limits for about 2 weeks, and gradually built my self into getting used to the car. a boy who is a year younger than me, recently crashed a 1.2 clio becuase he was absolutely caining it round a country lane in the rain ? he almost paralysed the passanger in his car, he has a broken back but will walk. and i think that was down to stupidity and not being sensible. people like him will crash if there in a slow car or a fast car. thats my opinion anyway
As I said, age is not an assurance of maturity. I know people in their 30's who shouldn't be driving a 1.2 Clio let alone a Scooby, but the simple fact is that the proportion of 18 year olds who are mature enough (driving skill/experience aside for a mo) for a Scooby turbo is FAR, FAR smaller than those in their mid 20s early thirties. These cars require the right kind of temprement as much as anything else to drive.

Ns04

PS We should emphasise that the M5 driver was doing high speed runs on a private runway NOT on the steet, so I think we need to bear that in mind before leveling any criticism.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 08 February 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08 February 2008, 10:25 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i first got the car i can honestly say i did not break the speed limits for about 2 weeks
a whole 2 weeks eh?

Far too young for a performance car in my opinion.

Shaun
Old 08 February 2008, 10:32 AM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

17 - Yaris T-Sport tuned to - 155bhp at wheels
18 - Golf Mk4 Gti with APR stage 3 kit - 312bhp at wheels
19 - Nissan Silvia S14 import - 400+ at the wheels
20 - Subaru Impreza Sti v6 import - dont know yet

Its not about age but about experience in performance cars. I grew up driving fast cars snce i was about 8 as my dad raced F2, F3, Rally Cross, Formula Ford etc so its in my blood. You could be driving a 1.1 clio for a year at 30 and then buy a sti 8 and you would not have anywhere near the experience that myslef has had and be a lot more likely to crash. But also as with everything, accidents, genuine real unavoidable accidents can happen, and thats just the pot luck of the draw we take every time we get in our cars to drive.

It would be different giving a 19 year old a standard UK turbo say and giving him a WR1. Giving him a UK turbo would be giving him a performance car, the other would be indirectly giving him a weapon.
Old 08 February 2008, 10:34 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

don't get us wrong, were not saying none of the young whippersnappers (god i feel old pmsl) can handel it, were saying that 99% can't or as you sugest arn't mature enough to be driving it.

look at the 4 killed in the big smash two weeks back, a young lad, driving a high power car looses control, wipes out nother can and kills him and his 3 passengers.
yeah i see where peoples thoughts come from not trying to single any one out just expressing my opinion. after all thats what forums are here for

but as for the m5 driver what was he doing taking his mates in the car when hes doing them speeds any way
Old 08 February 2008, 10:37 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=fraser87uk;7635811]17 - Yaris T-Sport tuned to - 155bhp at wheels
18 - Golf Mk4 Gti with APR stage 3 kit - 312bhp at wheels
19 - Nissan Silvia S14 import - 400+ at the wheels
20 - Subaru Impreza Sti v6 import - dont know yet

any pics of these cars
Old 08 February 2008, 10:42 AM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

if you give me a mo 5 mins
Old 08 February 2008, 10:46 AM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Silvia-

Golf-

Yaris -

Quick Reply: 19 year old son wants a turbo...general thoughts?