ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Forester STi's

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 09:48 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forester STi's

Posted a request in the gallery for some pics, wanted to hear from owners and particularly those folks who moved from a saloon to the bigger Forester models.

My family is growing so eventually I will have to make the tough decision and start getting practical, my saloon Sti RA will not be practical when I have to lug two prams around and a hyperactive 5 year old.

If budget permits, I will be resigning the RA to a track car and weekend B road warrior so for the daily humdrum I am thinking of getting a Forester STi that myself and the missus can use (more the other half as I only work 5 minutes away from home).

The ones I have looked at range from 04 reg to 07 and I am particularly fond of the 06/07 STi in Blue as it's the one I saw out in Sydney when I was working there.

Did they all come with 2.5 litre engines or only the newer ones (from what year?). As far as spec goes I am assuming they are identical to a saloon STi base car except for the extra body size (or is the chassis different as well)?

In terms of performance and more importantly handling what are they like to live with, easy to tune I assume as anything for the saloon STi applies to the big brother? For handling I know they will not be sharp like a saloon but what are the experiences of owners, after tuning the suspension did you find the Forester comfortable to drive (but still fun in bends)?

And lastly how many people have jumped ship from the saloon to the Forester, how did you find the move? - I am asking as I am worried I might get the Forester and then wish I was driving the RA or a saloon STi (saying that I owned an 05 STi PPP and well.. I didn't like it).

Thanks in advance,

Fz - "baby factory"
Old 04 February 2008, 10:46 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

we won't be getting any more forester turbos in the uk now i.m aint bringing any more in shame they are a great car and understated as well
Old 04 February 2008, 11:51 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Litchfield Imports
Old 05 February 2008, 01:00 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
we won't be getting any more forester turbos in the uk now i.m aint bringing any more in shame they are a great car and understated as well
Aye thats what I have found, asked a few importers and they all said the same thing i.e "unless you wait ages for an import your not likely to see many for sale".

I've sent an email to Litchfields, hopefully they might come across an 06/07 STi
Old 05 February 2008, 05:24 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to get yourself here:

Subaru Forester Owners Forum - Powered by vBulletin

On the Europe forum. As for buying, cheapest is Carplanet who always have a lot in stock.

As for tuning/handling see my profile, but I am not happy with my AST's. Even though allegedly there are 'no' negative reports (apart from mine) about the harshness of the AST's.... I found out that Paul @ Zen replaced a set of AST's with EXEC-TCs for exactly the same reason, and now the customer is over the moon...

I understand that Curtis is re-valving the AST's at £65+VAT each corner, but not sure if that included him taking them off.....

JMHO..
Old 05 February 2008, 08:48 AM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

Car planet ltd have the biggest selection of fsti in the uk,from 04 to 07 and they do a performance pack,330 bhp,they all have the 2.5 engine.I do feel they need a suspension pack as they are abit wobbly compared to an impreza www.Carplanetltd.co.uk.01925-414199;)

Last edited by blu scoob; 05 February 2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05 February 2008, 10:58 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What about a Leggy GT Spec B? View My Scoob.

Having thought long and hard about a Fozzer I choose the Leggy.
Hugely impressed so far and it's areal stealth bomber!
Spec is better the same, performance is better, fuel and insurance the same as my UK WRX. Interior space is better as is the space in the back for dogs, shopping, grandsons buggy, wifes handbag etc. Options to upgrade are very good as it's a Twin Scroll and an JDM EJ 20 block. Litchfields offers some top stuff so.............have a think.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 05 February 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05 February 2008, 11:10 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

fz - i'm in the same boat. no need to change my car yet, but thinking that when i do i will look at the fsti. i've seen a few and am thinking i will need to start looking properly in about 6months time (when finances permit).

watching with intetest...
Old 05 February 2008, 11:25 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Bartop bought a FSTi, then went back to an Impreza. Maybe worth PM'ing him.
Old 05 February 2008, 11:39 AM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

I have a Forester

You need to check if you can get three seats across the back

Also have an Impreza, both good at what they are designed to do
Old 05 February 2008, 12:20 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Bartop bought a FSTi, then went back to an Impreza. Maybe worth PM'ing him.
Bartop bought a UK XT ... it's what happened after that was important...
Old 05 February 2008, 12:24 PM
Jenn2007
Scooby Regular

Hi, I will give you my opinion on the FSTi, not very technical though !!

I bought one last year from Litchfields, its an MY07 Blue STi, had Powerstation add the performance upgrade with the miltek exhaust. Changed the front brakes as found it was a bit soft on the braking , now have AP Racing ones on it so abit exteme but work really well. I really love it, I have three children and the car copes with everything, from the normal day to day school run to loading it up and going away for the weekend. It handles well, I dont tend to drive fast but takes the corners brilliantly, no lolling over. Its a bit noisy but my brother added some sound proofing which works well. My brother also has one which is 6 months older and he loves his as well. Touch wood no problems to report, take it in every 5,000 miles for an oil change which costs about £140. Never owned a Subaru before so cant make that comparison but can honestly say this has so far been the most reliable car I have owned. Its really quick, my Son thinks its really cool, and it fits everything in that a standard family uses. Car seats, you can fit two large car seats in the back and still have a bit of room in between, there is three seat belts in the rear, the seat belts are abit fidely and the stereo was rubbish so had to change that. Not sure you would fit two pushchairs in the boot plus all the other baby Paraphernalia.

All in all I am a very happy bunny with it ! Hope that helps a bit !
Old 05 February 2008, 05:27 PM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

the only reason I got rid of the wifes is because she preferred the evo 9,it dose give you the feel good factor when your in it but the evo gives you the wow factor.fsti more practical
Old 11 February 2008, 09:39 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
Bartop bought a UK XT ... it's what happened after that was important...
What Steve said..

..ended up higher spec than a FSTi in all but gearbox and only sold it as didn't need the space anymore. The new owner has reluctantly put it back up for sale, may be worth a look if you're interested..

Old 11 February 2008, 10:22 PM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

One of the lads in the << ISDC - Irish Subaru Drivers Club - ISDC >> club has a blue one, he put it up on the rollers the other week

YouTube - Subaru Forester STI Rolling Road

It has:

386.2 bhp @ 6915rpm and 408.6lb/ft @3162rpm
ej25, 3" milteck sports cat system, 740cc injectors, walbro fuel pump (E5 +100ml NF) APS induct kit, AFP TD05 20g 1.5 bar, mapped by STI Tuning/Bob Rawl

Its a animal. A real head turner.
Old 07 March 2008, 12:23 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

More piccies on my profile.

Rich