Sponsored by:

Help!! UK or Import???

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 03:10 AM
kinglewy88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!! UK or Import???

Hi, I'm new to the site, thought i'd sign up and ask the opinions of some experienced scooby owners...
I'm looking for a scooby for my next car and have seen a large portion of the cars for sale at the moment are imports... about the only knowledge i have of the difference between a UK car and an import is that you need to put a fog light on the back of an import!
what would be the recommended way to go, when i sell my current car (bmw 318is coupe, if anyones interested???) i should hopefully have about 3 grand to spend.
Also do the imports have MOTs or do they have to have some other sort of test done as i'm sure they dont have MOTs in japan!

Thanks for your help!
Old 04 February 2008, 06:52 AM
leigh4x4
Scooby Regular

yes mate they still have to go through an mot test. the imports are slightly higher on insurance and tend to have a bit more standard bhp than a uk model
Old 04 February 2008, 08:04 AM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

If you buy from an import company, then the car should be ready to go on the road with no work required. I had a wee rummage for you, £3k is pushing it a bit but this is really quite nice:

Subaru : Subaru Impreza STI Spec Wagon tiptroninc
Old 04 February 2008, 08:37 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

£3k for an Impreza... I really must move over to the darkside and get an Evo

The bigger differences between the UK and Jap spec Impreza are in the newer cars with the completely different engines, but as mentioned even the older imports have a bit more bhp. The newer UK Imprezas have a 2.5ltr as opposed to 2.0ltr engine which gives a totally different drive - I prefer the UK but that;s horses for courses.

On a £3k budget you don't need to worry about what I just said though
Old 04 February 2008, 08:49 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

For the sort of money you wish to spend then you are looking at an early classic. The UK car had 215bhp whereas the Jap spec will have anywhere between 240 and 270 bhp depending on whether it is a WRX or WRX STi. The jap spec cars had folding mirrors, rear windscreen wiper, but more importantly aluminium bonnet, boot lid, and aluminium suspension parts (wishbones)
Old 04 February 2008, 10:15 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that money you will only get an early wrx 93-94 (maybe 95) possibly a version 1 STI it all depends where you look if you go for an import.
The early cars run 240ps-260ps (236bhp-256bhp) as standard.
Many parts were options though (electric mirrors,abs weren't on all cars).
Try to get 1 that's already in the country as i think cars imported now get slapped into the higher tax bracket regardless.

The Uk early spec cars had 208bhp increased in about 1996/97 i think to 215bhp not as highly specced but still a bloody good car imo (my mate had 1 and that made me want 1).
Old 04 February 2008, 02:51 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

As stated in previous replies, its a matter of preference. Both UK & Imports have pro's and cons. I like the features of imports : Folding mirrors, rear wiper, drinks holder , although UK cars have the speedo reading mph, deristricted, handy headlight washers , fuse boxes you can read etc.

For 3k you may struggle to get UK spec, but you never know. I paid 2700 for my 97 uk spec, which was a total bargain.

Oh you get airbags on UK too, but imports have better steering wheels

Oh the choice good luck.

I must mention the fuel requirements too, imports need oct97 ron fuel(Super plus, v power etc) along with an octane booster, if not you can damage your engine. The UK specs can run on ordinary unleaded, but prefer OCT97 fuel at the least. All this depends whether the ECU has been mapped on imports to accept OCT97 fuel with no need for octane booster.

Last edited by scoobz72; 04 February 2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Knight
but more importantly aluminium bonnet, boot lid, and aluminium suspension parts (wishbones)
That is just a myth about the boot because there wasn't ever an alloy one made? I know they had alloy bonnets and front wishbones but I've never seen an alloy bootlid.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:32 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

You don't need to run them with octane booster if it's an early import as the early ecus retard very easily but do run them on Super at a minimum.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
That is just a myth about the boot because there wasn't ever an alloy one made? I know they had alloy bonnets and front wishbones but I've never seen an alloy bootlid.
...and you never will! A constantly perpetuated myth, as you say Paul. Aluminium front wishbones are only found on production STI Saloons, also.
Old 05 February 2008, 02:38 AM
kinglewy88
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advise, very helpful, although ive just tried to get a few insurance quotes and no one will touch me till im 21?! slightly predjudice if you ask ,but thats what little 17 year old pillocks stoving their £200 quid fiesta's into parked are doing for insurance for people my age!

anyway im gunna take this as a good thing and use this next year to save up a few more beans then this time next year i'll have a bit more cash, and then its scooby time!
Old 05 February 2008, 04:22 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglewy88
Also do the imports have MOTs or do they have to have some other sort of test done as i'm sure they dont have MOTs in japan!

Thanks for your help!
The Japanese do have an 'MOT' system called sha-ken.
First test after 3 years and then 2 yearly.
Most Japanese cars, in my experience, are regularly/well serviced too.

Of course an MOT is still required on import to the UK whatever the cars age.
Old 06 February 2008, 08:13 PM
krishen
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys. New to this forum and also looking at spending about £3k for a subura.
Where can i find the different specs that are available. Im looking at getting the shape before the frog eyes shape (hope that makes sense) so 1997/1998 reg. Ive seen Sti, wrx, turbo. Was just wondering where i can find what the differences are?

Also with the imports, have they been remapped to produce higher bhp figures or is the engine/turbo different?

Cheers
Old 06 February 2008, 08:18 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by krishen
Hi guys. New to this forum and also looking at spending about £3k for a subura.
Where can i find the different specs that are available. Im looking at getting the shape before the frog eyes shape (hope that makes sense) so 1997/1998 reg. Ive seen Sti, wrx, turbo. Was just wondering where i can find what the differences are?

Also with the imports, have they been remapped to produce higher bhp figures or is the engine/turbo different?

Cheers
The one you are refering to is generally called the 'classic' shaped.

wrx and STI are japanese production models and the Turbo 2000 is Uk.
They main differences are the japanese models are higher spec then the UK (electric folding mirrors,air con, more power, better interiors imo etc).

Which Car is a WRX STi has some info on Jap models.